Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 6940 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Cricket
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:40 am »
Good morning, and what a very good morning it is if you are a cricket fan.

Overnight the England team completed an innings victory in Sidney to not only retain the Ashes, but also win the series of five tests by 3 - 1 with one drawn. AND all three wins were by an innings margin, that's impressive and very convincing.

$uk    $wales

Yorkie

Re: Cricket
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:49 am »
Well I suppose that once in 25 years should be enough for any cricket fan!   As there are only two teams involved the chances of winning should be evens, however it looks as though the real odds are 25 to one!   Can't wait to 2036 for the next "celebration".   I personally think that the match was fixed by some massive betting syndicate who were tired of only getting a minute return on their stakes for so many years.     L0L   L0L    L0L

The game needs more glamour!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:56:12 am »
After 24 years of pain and expectation since the last time we won over there I'm just going to enjoy the fact that we well and truly stuffed them. Every Ashes tour I'd be sat up late into the night listening expecting us to do well only to find us getting well and truly battered.  A couple of jokes from Michael Vaughan on Test match special in the middle of the night (sad to be up listening I know but it is only every four years). What do you call an Aussie with a hundred - answer a bowler. What do you call an Aussie with a bottle of champagne? - answer a waiter.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:37 pm »
Well I suppose that once in 25 years should be enough for any cricket fan!  

You disappoint me Yorkie. At a time when things are all 'doom and gloom' and it's January ie the depth of winter, what could be better than a bit of good old fashioned success to cheer up most people in the UK? The fact that it happens to be a cricket team is neither here nor there.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »
Dunno what happened there, I managed to get my comment in as part of Yorkie's quote!!

As for the 'glamour' bit - well that just wouldn't be cricket would it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:00:39 pm by Bellringer »

Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »
As for the 'glamour' bit - well that just wouldn't be cricket would it?

I am sure that you must be aware of the great success the England Women's Team have had over past years!   Hey Ho and all that jazz!     _))*

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:02:15 pm »

I am sure that you must be aware of the great success the England Women's Team have had over past years!   Hey Ho and all that jazz!     _))*

I do have a certain amount of knowledge about the Ladies' achievements and I am impressed by yours - I assume by saying 'Hey Ho and all that jazz' that you could be referring to one of the best known female England cricketers namely one Rachel Heyhoe-Flint OBE DL, who was a prolific batsman and Captain. She has recently become a Conservative member of the House of Lords too.

In this politically correct world of ours these days, the thought strikes me -  can a female cricketer be referred to as a "batsman"?

Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »
To be absolutely PC I think they should all be refered to as Batpersons.  I have a mild interest in Cricket having played my end on many occasion and was once a member of Colwyn Bay Cricket Club where my Father in Law was Treasurer for 35 odd years.     $wales

Offline Trojan

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:46 am »
BBC Television commentator David Vine (left) interviews the captains of Glamorgan, Tony Lewis (right), and Leicestershire, Ray Illingworth (centre), prior to their John Player Sunday League match at Llandudno's Oval, 22nd June 1969. Glamorgan won by 10 wickets.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:45 am »
Tony Lewis batting for Glamorgan 1969.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »
England become No 1 Test Team in the world following their third win in three tests against India. Not bad after winning the Ashes in Australia earlier in the year.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
Llandudno Cricket 1st. team won the semi final of the Welsh Cup on Sunday and will meet Swansea on the 28th Aug. at Glamorgans ground The Swalec Stadium for the final.   ££$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 06:09:32 pm »
Quiggs. I see from today's DP that they had a resounding win on Saturday in the N Wales League but have dropped to 4th in the table having lost 18 points for 'fielding' an ineligible player. How come?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:11 pm »
I was surprised to learn that the Oval Cricket Ground and Facilities only yield a very minimal amount in revenue to the Council.

The Cricket Club hold two separate agreements

1.       A Lease for the Clubhouse and Cricket Square, which has a rental of £69.31 per annum
2.       A Licence of the Outfield and Cricket Net Practice facility, which has a rental of £1 per annum

I old have thought it was worth a bit more than these pitiful amounts!
Just 'ain't Cricket!
 <:<:<:<
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:09 pm »
Surely, they must have an alcohol licence for their clubhouse.