Author Topic: Walking  (Read 843156 times)

Offline Cordyline

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1275 on: January 26, 2014, 09:35:19 pm »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1276 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:21 am »
I seem to remember going onto the Orme the day it was filmed and being told that a film crew were working by the toll gate chap.
Must have gone to a different area, as I didn't see anything, but the gorse and heather were both out, so I think your time guess was right Fester!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1277 on: January 27, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »
If I remember correctly he mentioned about the weather being good for September. Really good views of Black Gate taken from near the donkeys at the top of wyddfid road.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1278 on: February 19, 2014, 05:00:33 pm »
I had a pleasant walk down the River Clwyd yesterday with the Retirement Group.  I chose to go by car and  met them in Rhuddlan where we set off for a walk along the cycle track to Rhyl.   Conditions for this type of walk were perfect as it was dry and there was no wind.
The river was full and flowing fast but in recent weeks it had come very near the top of the flood defences as there was debris everywhere.  Because the water was high there wasn't as much bird life as normal but we saw about 12 Swans and dozens of Canada Geese and Shell Ducks on the way. After a while we reached Rhyl and the Marine Lake and crossed over the new pedestrian bridge Pont Y Ddraig and the group headed to one of the pubs on the Kinmel Bay side of the river.
Unfortunately for me I couldn't join them for a cuppa as my car was in Rhuddlan and I needed to walk back before it became dark.  Once on the path though I motored along and got back in half the time it took us to do the walk from Rhuddlan.
I was lucky enough to see a Cormorant on the way back as it dived and came back up with its dinner,  I did keep a look out for the Chinese Swan Goose and the Otters that are near Rhuddlan but unfortunately didn't see  them

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1279 on: March 09, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »
Yesterday, I enjoyed a gentle village and riverside walk and explored a hillside castle when Pete and I travelled to Caergwrle and Hope.  After parking up, we set off uphill to the Castle which was probably built by Dafydd ap Gruffydd, the brother of Llewelyn the Last.   Quite a large part of the Castle has collapsed because of quarrying on one side of the hill but it's still worth a visit and is quite easy to walk up to it.
We returned back to our car just to pick up our rucksacks and crossed the road past the Derby Arms and to the right of there was the site of Caergwrle Brewery founded in 1861.  Apparently the local spa waters were highly valued for brewing beer.   Not far from there on our return journey we saw a torrent of water  coming from a spring in the garden wall of a terraced property so there was no shortage of water for that brewing industry.
We then walked over a delightful six arched packhorse bridge built in the mid 17th  century and carried on up the lane until we came to Rhyddyn Farm from there we walked along the footpath which was on a raised bank and was part of Wat's Dyke.  Soon we arrived at Hope Church and had a look at the grounds before continuing on our way down Sarn Lane towards the River Alyn.   Instead of crossing the river we took the public footpath to the right and followed the deep and fast flowing waters along it's banks.  An old tree that had fallen near the river provided an ideal place for us to sit and have our refreshments and we sat there watching the waters flowing by and keeping a keen eye open for the Kingfishers that frequent this area.   Unfortunately we didn't see one this time but all the time we could hear a Woodpecker drumming on the trees nearby which is a good sign that Spring isn't far away.  Further upstream there are two bridges together that cross the river so we went over on the old bridge and followed the river back on the other bank.
Our chances of seeing the Kingfishers greatly diminished when we passed a noisy old eccentric who was dressed like a long haired cowboy, but at least he was happy doing what he was doing.
Before long we arrived back at the car park and it was time to go home after a nice easy and enjoyable walk.  On our way back we stopped at Sychdyn  for a while to look at one of the best preserved sections of Wat's Dyke  and then carried on home. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1280 on: March 09, 2014, 12:27:46 pm »
Caergwrle and Hope

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1281 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »
Hugo, I am surprised you didn't tell everyone the tale of those who live in Hope and die in Caergwrle.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1282 on: March 13, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
What a difference a day makes!   Today there is an icy cold mist around with visibility down to about 100 yards but yesterday it was a beautiful warm sunny day.     We parked the car in the small car park by the Roman Road in Aber and set out down the water board track that takes you into Cwm  Anafon.   Seeing snow on the northern slopes of Foel Fras we had brought a load of gear with us but once inside the valley the fleeces quickly came off and it was T shirt weather for the rest of the walk.   
On our way we saw many of the Carneddau ponies around and a lot looked pregnant too.  The track gradually winds its way up to the head of the valley and that was where we were heading for.   At Llyn Anafon we stopped for a while to have our refreshments by the side of the lake and just relaxed in the  warm sunshine while admiring the scenery and pockets of snow on Foel Fras just above us.
The next part of our walk was a steep pull up the slopes of Drum and we took it easy going up there with frequent breaks to catch our breath again but before too long we arrived at a well defined track that was to take us down to the Roman Road and back to the car park.
We heard a tremendous explosion from somewhere which may have been from the Bethesda Quarry but it did sound too close for comfort.     On our way down we could first of all smell something burning but lower down could see great plumes of smoke billowing into the air from the Tal Y Fan area.  I just hoped that they were controlled fires rather than fired started deliberately or by a discarded cigarette.     We drove from the car park down to the village and Wayne left to go home early while Pete and I went to the cafe and had a Latte and a delicious cake to finish off another very pleasant walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1283 on: March 13, 2014, 11:56:53 am »
Cwm Anafon & Drum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »
On Saturday I had two very interesting walks in St Asaph with my friends.   We met at the car park by the Plough Inn and crossed over the bridge and followed country lanes which took us over the A55 bridge and eventually to another bridge which crossed over the River Elwy.
From there we walked alongside the river back to the Plough Inn on the top of the flood defences and watched the Dippers strutting their stuff along the way. The water was flowing fast but those Flood defences are quite high and it's hard to imagine that the water rose so high as to cause such devastation to so many  properties and people a short time ago.
From there we headed along the Lower Denbigh Road before turning up the lane to Cefn.  Parking the car at a safe spot we followed the footpath and came to a cottage that had a leet flowing underneath it and not far away were the ruins of St Mary's Chapel and well.  Across the river and almost hidden by trees was Dolbeldyr.  Dolbelydr is to be treasured on two main counts. It is a fine example of a 16th-century, stone-built manor house, which has survived remarkably unaltered. It was also where Henry Salesbury (1561-c 1605), physician and humanist scholar, wrote his Grammatica Britannica, published in 1593. The Grammatica was one of the first attempts to impose formal grammar on the Welsh language.   Rhuddlan and Tellytubby my friends on this walk had been in the property previously and the photo of it was taken by Rhuddlan on his visit there.
We carried on walking along a clear defined track in delightful woodland  alongside the river, then crossed a field before climbing upwards to the natural arch where the Denbigh to Abergele road once passed through.    We then climbed upwards towards the well known Cefn Caves  These caves in the parish of Cefn Meiriadog, Denbighshire, have long been places of interest for scientists, artists, poets and antiquarians.  Excavations within Cefn Cave in 1832 found bones of straight-tusked elephant, rhinoceros and hippopotamus of last interglacial age (c. 125,000 years old), 
Carrying on past the caves we went along the clear footpath and saw many Deer footprints but did not have a glimpse of the White Stag that is seen in this area.  Descending along this footpath we then came to the ruins of St Mary's Chapel and the holy well of Ffynnon Fair.  It  is set on the floor of a broad river valley flanked by steeply sloping woodland well below the level of the road. Beside the well are the remains of the ruined well chapel, encircled by an iron fence
The earliest part of the chapel building dates from the 13th Century. In the 15th Century a chancel was added to the south. The altar was then situated, unusually, below the southern window, traces of its base remain.
The well basin beside the chapel is in the form of a star and the water was flowing freely out of it, underneath the Chapel ruins and eventually into the River Elwy.
We then retraced our way back to the car having enjoyed a very interesting and historical walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1285 on: March 24, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
St Asaph walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1286 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »
Really interesting photos and description. Thanks Hugo.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
You can rent Dolbelydr for a holiday from the Landmark Trust.
This link has some photos of the inside as well.

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/dolbelydr-6288

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1288 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:58 pm »
Thanks for your comments and posting that link Hollins.   It looks like they have done a very good restoration on that property.  I've posted some more photos that Rhuddlan sent me just to do the building justice.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1289 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:42 am »
You've done a couple of great walks, lately, Hugo. Very interesting, thank you.