Author Topic: The Embassy? Ballroom  (Read 1989 times)

Offline stewbow

The Embassy? Ballroom
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:45 pm »
The Embassy? Maybe Princess Ballroom Colwyn Bay signed on the left of the photo, anybody got info or story's about this place? The entrance still has Embassy I the top glass panel

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Embassy? Ballroom
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
I remember it. It was a tea dance sort of place.the Indian restaurant is now there.
  I worked in Barclays bank for many years, started in 1951. Confidencality was utmost. Not a word left anyone's lips about their customers. However it is around 65 yrs ago so I doubt anyone will read this and get their solicitors onto me.
  The Embassy was apparently financially successful pre war. But after the war times had changed, and although it was a prestige business it was just on the slippery slope financially.
  Unfortunately for Barclays they were the bankers. They financied the original owners, they either went bust or just gave up, the deeds were held by the Bank and the only way they could get anything was to give a fresh loan to a prospective buyer. After a year or so they went bust.
  So when I joined barclays there were four bad debts all associated with this business's and Al in various stages of being written off no wonder the manager at that time was a bad tempered aristocratic unpleasant conceited person, although he died at over 100 years old.