Author Topic: Does Mussolini have a Welsh Grandson ?  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Does Mussolini have a Welsh Grandson ?
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:35:04 pm »
Whilst trawling through some items dated 1950's-2003 in the on-line Archive I came across this bizarre story in the papers of Ivor Wynne Jones Journalist & Author from Penrhyn Bay.
Chambermaid Annie from a Llandudno boarding house spent a night of passion on the Orme c1902 with an Italian named Benito.
Annie gave birth to a son Ben.
In 1924 she took Ben aged 21 to Italy for a holiday he never came back. Annie told everyone he had gone into the ice cream business.
Soon after Annie disappeared herself.
Twenty years later British troops liberating North Africa discovered a 17 year old Welsh speaking Arab orphan called Ibn Ben ap Benito who named Annie as his next of kin.
Annie was then traced to Liverpool but refused to speak to journalists indicating that the answers were in her "little black box" The box was taken away by men claiming to be from the Military Intelligence and was never seen again.
What a crazy story! I would love to hear what fellow forum members think of it.  L0L

Offline Jack

Re: Does Mussolini have a Welsh Grandson ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:41:04 pm »
I've always enjoyed Ivor Wynne Jones' books and found them well researched and written - therefore I suspect there is an element of truth in this story coupled with his authority on all local military matters.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:17:18 pm »
An interesting story.  It is very puzzling how a half Welsh, half Italian lad would end up with an Arab name and described as such.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »
That's what I thought as well Cambrian, also the fact the boy spoke the Welsh language is puzzling.

I had never heard of Ivor before so after reading your comments Jack I Googled him.What a very interesting life he led. In one tribute after he died  Lord Roberts stated " Ivor was very much a journalist of the old school, totally dedicated to accuracy and integrity in reporting events and people. He could not stand humbug, hypocrisy or falsehood and would show it up if he thought it justified". In another tribute to Ivor it stated" Ivor took great delight in exposing the failings of those in authority and deflating large egos as well as fighting the cause of the underdog against the establishment and exposing examples of silly political correctness."So there could well be something in the story after all, but we will never know!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »
We had the pleasure of a visit from Ivor Wynn Jones when we first came here and I was researching the history of our house. A charming man who certainly had a head full of facts. He furnished us with information which led to our being given an orange plaque for the outside of the house and suggested that I contacted Mostyn Estates who furnished me with letters and copies of newspaper cuttings relating to a family who owned the house from 1876 to 1952.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:39 am »
Ivor Wynne Jones knew more about the area that the rest of us put together.

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Do you have a surname for Annie and Ben?

The details given put Ben's year of birth as 1903, so there should be a birth certificate for him, plus a baptism possibly. These might show a father's name, or at least give some clues in order to establish the accuracy of this story.

Helig.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 05:46:02 pm »
I'm afraid there was no mention of Annie's surname, Helig. I did look on the Birth Index for a Ben born in Llandudno 1903,but there was only one and when I traced him on the 1911 Census his mother's name wasn't Annie.  :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:41:46 pm »
In the Conwy Archives in Llandudno is a reference book on Ivor Wynne Jones and there may be a reference to this story there.   I only had a quick look through it and he may have left his papers at the Archive

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »
I think most of Ivor's papers were deposited at the Archives but I am not sure whether they have been catalogued yet. Some of his books and ephemera were sold off as I bought a couple of items in a Chester bookshop.  Many of his smaller books he had bound and these stocks were - or are - on sale in Bay Book Shop.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 12:55:43 pm »
I can't be positive Cambrian as I only had a very quick look but there are reference numbers against the items so I can only presume that they were catalogued.
I've a couple of his books and they are fascinating reading.    $good$

Offline Meleri

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
The article is in the Conwy Archive, the catalogue was digitised by The National Archive. The reference number is CX288/1/2/3 1950's-2003.

If you Google 'National Archive papers for Ivor Wynne Jones'  the contents list comes up in PDF form. There is quite a lot about Llandudno and area

and would be worth a visit to see if there are any more unusual stories etc. I just haven't had the time to go and have a look yet.