Author Topic: Ysgol Aberconwy (Aberconwy School)  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Paulakelsall

Ysgol Aberconwy (Aberconwy School)
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:10:11 pm »
Does anyone have any old photographs of Aberconwy School before the upgrading works took place about 10 years ago? My old school friends are organising a reunion in March 2015 and are hoping to find some old photographs from our era (1980s) that we could reproduce and display at the event. I’ve made enquires with Conwy Archives but they hold no records/photos relating to the school apart from seven old minute books. I will also contact the school to ask if they can help.

If anyone knows of any ex pupils who started at the school in 1982 (first year) until til 1987 (fifth year) please could you let them know about the reunion. At the moment it is just for the Class of ‘87. Also trying to trace our old school teachers to invite.

Contact email – ysgolaberconwyreunion@gmail.com
(I am not sure if email addresses are allowed so apologises to the administrators in advance)

$thanx$

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Ysgol Aberconwy (Aberconwy School)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Paula, good luck with your quest.

I have never forgotten being envious of the pupils of Aberconwy Secondary School when they moved into their new school in September 1961.

I was unfortunate to pass the 11+ and went to JBGS but all the pupils of Aberconwy got an extra week's summer holiday because their new school wasn't quite ready.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »
Thank you Bri.

Was it only 1961 when the school was built. I joined in 1982 and it many ways it seemed run down even then considering it was only 21 years old! Perhaps that was more to due with the majority of our lessons taking place in mobile units which were freezing in the winter but we did have a swimming pool which is where I leant to swim.

We've had a very good response from former pupils and teachers :)

Still looking for old photographs of the school. Anyone?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:11 pm »
Yes, Paula, it was definitely 1961.

One of our daughters taught there during 2011, and even though it was the school's 50th year, she doesn't recall any special celebrations.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »
Hi Paula.

First off, it's good to talk to you again. How are you and your mountain goat of a husband?  WWW And how are all my cousins?

I can remember in County School (JBS) that there were quite a few lads and girls who had to come over from Conway (as it was then!), including the likes of Jimmy Blundell and Fred Parry. 'Trump' became a small legend by swimming from Deganway (ibid) to the Morfa and scrapping with one of the teachers. I think a reunion would include several coffins!   ZXZ ZXZ WWW $walesflag$
Micox

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:05:25 pm »
Hi Mike!

All good here thanks and everyone well. Trust all OK with you?

There seems to be a bit of an historic rivalry between the two schools that was still evident in my day (1980s). Sadly we are discovering quite a few teachers and a couple of ex-pupils are no longer with us :( I think your generation would need a fairly small room for a reunion (sorry I'm being cheeky!).

My Dad passed his 11+ in approx 1949 and went to John Brights with another lad, can't remember his name now, but they didn't like it and after a while left and went back to Conway!

It's great to reminisce

Take care

Paula

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »
I was trying to contact "bellringer" from this forum but I believe I cannot private message him. If you are reading "bellringer" are you connected to Trinity Church in Llandudno? I am trying to track down my old english teacher from Aberconwy School, Mrs Horswood, and believe she may also be connected to the Church. If it is the correct Mrs Horswood, the reunion committee would like to invite her to our school reunion on 28th March 2015 at Llandudno Junction Community Club, a few teachers have been invited and are coming. Are you able to get a message to her? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.