Poll

Looking for information on

Captain William Morris Roberts
0 (0%)
The Conovium
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: My Great-Great-Grandfather and his boat  (Read 1677 times)

Offline heidi1972

My Great-Great-Grandfather and his boat
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:58:13 am »
Hi

I am looking for some more information about my Great-Great-Grandfather. His name was Captain William Morris Roberts and his boat was named The Conovium and was moored in Conwy during the late 1800's early 1900's and it was a cargo ship, and he lived on the Quay with his family. He is buried in St Agnes Cemetery with an anchor for a headstone. After doing some research I discovered that The Conovium was sunk by a U-Boat off the Irish coast but my Father isn't sure this is the same boat. He used to sit on the Quay telling children his sea-faring stories...I am trying to locate photos of him.

My Great-Grandmother had a large framed picture of his boat but unfortunately when she passed away in 1992 the picture was taken during a house clearance and has not been seen since. The only items we have belonging to my Great-Great-Grandfather are 2 glasses with his name and boat engraved on them.

I'm always looking for photos of my family so if anyone has any more information on him or the boat I would love to hear from them.

Many thanks.

Heidi Williams

Offline Jack

Re: My Great-Great-Grandfather and his boat
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:07:41 pm »
Heidi, I was recently doing a bit of research and came across a ship called 'Connivum' which I assume might be the same vessel but with a typographical error in the paper I was reading!

There is no mention of your relative but the captain in around 1846 (providing it is the same vessel) was John Parry and he was using the ship to carry building materials into Llandudno for some of the early hotels.

Captain Parry was master of 'Connivum' until around 1855 when he, and a syndicate of local businessmen, had the 'General Havelock' built with Parry at the helm.