Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 108966 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2015, 11:54:46 am »
Is it on the on demand boxset thing? If so I will give it a try. Although I am wary if it's one of these american shows with 800 episodes!

It's available in the Sky Box Sets and the first series is only eight episodes.
I'd also recommend Ray Donovan if you can get it. It stars Liev Schreiber as a 'fixer' to the wealthy who can make just about any problem go away. A good supporting cast with Jon Voight, Elliot Gould and Eddie Marsan.
Valar Morghulis

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »
 $good$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »
Peaky Blinders is my favourite new drama I've seen in a long time. I would recommend that

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »
Is it on the on demand boxset thing? If so I will give it a try. Although I am wary if it's one of these american shows with 800 episodes!
Only 8 episodes, well worth watching.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:55 pm »
Peaky Blinders is my favourite new drama I've seen in a long time. I would recommend that
We just watched Series 1 of that and also found it excellent.  $good$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »
We just watched Series 1 of that and also found it excellent.  $good$

HBO have been on excellent form over the last few years.
If you haven't seen them I'd also recommend The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire.
The daddy of them all though is the mighty Game Of Thrones!
Valar Morghulis

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:12 pm »
Perhaps.  We have found Grimm to be the most fascinating of the series thus far. Big Bang Theory is also a firm favourite.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
Perhaps.

Fact. It's not the world's most illegally downloaded TV programme for nothing!
Valar Morghulis

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:27 pm »
 I enjoy GOT but find it departs too much from the books (issue with most SciFi or Fantasy conversions to TV, it seems). It's true GOT had broken records for illegal downloading but it's not on a FTA channel and so draws competitively few actual viewing figures. It ties with Waking Dead and I notice the top ten illegally downloaded shows have a distinctly juvenile slant.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/top-10-pirated-tv-shows-of-2014-game-of-thrones-walking-dead-lead-list-1201390863/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
If you've read the books then you'll know the main reason the TV series has made changes is because they've caught up and are preparing to pass where George R R Martin is at & will need to go their own way owing to how slow he is releasing each installment.
Valar Morghulis

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2015, 07:08:45 pm »
Yes, but I suppose I still see it a sort of serialised Lord of the Rings without the originality. But our kids love it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:19 am »
We've been watching the first series of The Following this week. I've never been a massive fan of Kevin Bacon but he is pretty good in this, and it's a great story, with lots of twists and turns. Recommended!

"THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2071645/

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2015, 10:08:33 am »
We've been watching the first series of The Following this week. I've never been a massive fan of Kevin Bacon but he is pretty good in this, and it's a great story, with lots of twists and turns. Recommended!

"THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2071645/

I've just watched the third series and it appears to be the last unless another channel takes over.
I quite like Kevin Bacon so that was why I started watching but I found it a bit gory at times.
All three series were very gripping as you never knew who you could or couldn't trust.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2015, 08:34:07 am »
Just finished watching the first (and only) series of Harper's Island. I wasn't expecting a lot from the premise, but it turned out to be a very enjoyable watch.  $good$

"Harper's Island was once the scene of a gruesome series of murders. Now, seven years later, family and friends gather on the island for a wedding, but one by one they begin to die."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232320/
IMDB Rating: 7.5/10

We've now moved on to The Blacklist. First episode was great, looking forward to watching more.

"Elizabeth 'Liz' Keen, a new FBI profiler has her entire life uprooted when a mysterious criminal, Raymond Reddington, on the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted List turns himself in and insists on speaking to her."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/
IMDB Rating: 8.2/10

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2015, 03:59:15 pm »
The Blacklist is great. I really liked James Spader when he was in Boston Legal and he's even better in this. It get's very interesting as the relationship between Red & Liz is slowly revealed and there are many twists and turns along the way. Well worth watching.

Another good one to look out for is Lie To Me starring Tim Roth. He's excellent in it.
Valar Morghulis