Author Topic: Forum Statistics  (Read 202359 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Forum Statistics
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2011, 09:45:51 pm »
All we have to do now is get them interested in posting something....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2011, 08:14:05 am »
All we have to do now is get them interested in posting something....

:D

Unless folk are familiar with forums, the easy flow of conversation and chat can be intimidating to the newcomer although the biggest obstacle to the forum neophyte, I'm pretty sure,  is the sheer mass of previous postings.  It's why we've tried to make it as easy as possible, although many don't bother reading the Welcome topics, I'm sure.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:57 am »
I'm sure that this Forum, like others, has the facility to send a PM to every person who has registered.  Maybe a nice chatty mail to the non-posters could encourage them to participate.

There are also other Forums that insist on Members posting at least once in (say) a month, just to keep their Membership alive.   I personally cannot see any benefit to the Forum having "readers only" unless it is just for the purpose of statistics or to swell revenue from advertising.

I have noticed a lack of posts over the past few days, and if posts are not made others cannot respond so a gradual decline in interest can result.

The Forum has 360 Members of which only 147 have posted.  94 of the 147 have posted less than 10 times.  53 have posted more than 10 times.   39 have posted more than 20 times and only 29 have posted more than 50 times.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
I personally cannot see any benefit to the Forum having "readers only" unless it is just for the purpose of statistics or to swell revenue from advertising.

That's a tricky one. Some people have said that it took them a long time, reading what others had posted before they felt sufficiently confident to make their first posting.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:29 am »
I am responding to the request for more posts. I hope I haven't bored you all to death with mine.
I am new to the forum and I am quite nervous about posting, don't know why really. It's just a bit scarey, you don't want to offend anyone or look like a know it all!
I am guilty of not reading the welcome page first, sorry! I noticed today that some people introduced themselves at the beginning. I didn't do this but Fester and Dave R know who I am because I think I was one of the first customers of the now famous "Llandudno Emporium".
I came to the forum, like many others from noticing Dave R's wonderful photos.
I haven't braved the crowds in Llandudno this weekend but would love to see some photos of all the activities down there.
"What's it like in Llandudno right now" is one of my favourites especially when there are pictures.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »
I personally cannot see any benefit to the Forum having "readers only" unless it is just for the purpose of statistics or to swell revenue from advertising.

That's a tricky one. Some people have said that it took them a long time, reading what others had posted before they felt sufficiently confident to make their first posting.

Nothing wrong with that, it is something we all do, but it doesn't take all that much confidence to put a short post in.  If there ain't a thread they like, they can even start a new one!    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2011, 06:08:32 pm »
Anyone can read the forum, regardless of if they are a member or not, so it makes no difference to the statistics nor the vast rivers of advertising revenue. Deleting members who haven't posted yet is hardly going to encourage them to post, as they will no longer have the option to do so.

I know from conversations in town that a lot of people (shop keepers, cafe owners etc) read the forum on a regular basis but, for one reason or another, haven't posted yet. They view it as a useful facility to pick up news, opinions etc. That's fine by me.

Post numbers will inevitably be lighter when the weather is good, I've been out and about enjoying the fine weather myself lately and haven't posted that much. Plenty of time for discussions about the Pier Pavilion site when it's pouring with rain or blowing a gale!
 $sunny$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
Plenty of time for discussions about the Pier Pavilion site when it's pouring with rain or blowing a gale!
Well said DaveR, I had an hour to spare after the parade and a bit of lunch, so strolled down the streets to people watch.  Oh my ! :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:59:12 am by Ian »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:54 am »
it doesn't take all that much confidence to put a short post in.

I think you'd be surprised. Many people are naturally reticent, and even more so in an unfamiliar medium.  It just takes time, and a willingness to make folk feel welcome, especially during their first postings.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2011, 08:04:27 am »
I am new to the forum and I am quite nervous about posting, don't know why really. It's just a bit scarey, you don't want to offend anyone or look like a know it all

You're very welcome in here, H, and don't be  nervous.  We're all nice in here - with only a few exceptions :-))   WWW

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2011, 08:11:16 am »
I would have though that as most posters shield themselves behind a nom de plume and thereby have anonymity they would not find making their first comment any great problem.  However, I may just be wrong, as usual!    :P

And Member Hollins, a welcome from me too.   No comment is boring.   If someone has taken the time and trouble to post a comment then it is worth reading even if one does not personally agree, disagree or otherwise with what has been said.   More power to your pen!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:53 am »
Another problem is that I think most people are actually conditioned by society not to give their opinion, particularly if it is in any way controversial.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:02 am »
I think most people are actually conditioned by society not to give their opinion, particularly if it is in any way controversial.

Wonder if that's universal? On forums, I suspect a large degree of reticence is to do with the fear of being verbally 'savaged', which - I suppose - is simply saying what you've just said in another way, Dave.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:24 pm »
I think most people are actually conditioned by society not to give their opinion, particularly if it is in any way controversial.

Wonder if that's universal? On forums, I suspect a large degree of reticence is to do with the fear of being verbally 'savaged', which - I suppose - is simply saying what you've just said in another way, Dave.

*&( perspective by Dave though.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »
On the other hand, there are people who will give their opinion irrespective of what others may think.  They are often refered to as idiots, whiners, whingers, busy-bodies, know alls, complainers, grousers, grumblers, moaners, beefers, gripers, wailers or any other such term with a similar conotation.   Those talking of them in such a way are often those unable to accept that there should be, or could be, another viewpoint apart from their own.

Now listen very carefully for I shall say this only once :   "I always have, and always will, express my opinion or feelings as I see things.  I may never be right, or I may never be wrong, or maybe I will sometimes be right and sometimes be wrong, but what the Hell, life is too short to stuff a mushroom!"

I also consider that everybody's opinion is worth listening to, irrespective of one's own.   >>>
Cicero