Author Topic: Photography  (Read 270351 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Photography
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »
Exactly--- the ink doesn't dry or comes out green with the cheap stuff.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »
There will, assuming a major news story doesn't knock it back, be a feature about my photography in the Daily Post on Monday. It's focused on my documenting the decline of Rhyl as a seaside resort over the past few years.  $good$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »
That's great, Dave.  Glad to see your work getting some recognition. 

&well&

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »
Great, I'll look out for that!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Blodyn - I get mine through E-Bay from a supplier called Ink-Power, just looked at their site and 12 inks, which is two full sets for my printer, 5 colour and 1 black, are just £12.99 including postage.  I have been buying from them for several years and not had a dud yet.  My brother also uses them, again with no problems.  As I mentioned in my post, the results are first class. 

Be careful to read the full details as some do not have the chips or are not compatible.    :o
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »
M E - Have you not thought about using you printer to produce photo's?  I do it all of the time using my HP Photosmart printer, the results are fantastic.  If I am printing something I tend to go for full A4 page size.  The photo paper is now fairly inexpensive, and the inks, I do not buy HP inks at their silly prices, but get generic one's on E-Bay, I think the last one's I got were only about £20, and that was for three full sets on inks, (my printer has five colours and one black).  Also, the actual printer are now really cheap, even for a good one, no need to pay more than £100 for a photo printer.  I would certainly recommend my printer which retails around the £100 mark.

By coincidence I bought a new HP 3070a just a couple of weeks ago, it's very good but only goes to A4, mind you they have come out well for a £50 printer!

Offline martin

« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2012, 07:20:06 pm »
Blodyn - I get mine through E-Bay from a supplier called Ink-Power, just looked at their site and 12 inks, which is two full sets for my printer, 5 colour and 1 black, are just £12.99 including postage.  I have been buying from them for several years and not had a dud yet.  My brother also uses them, again with no problems.  As I mentioned in my post, the results are first class. 

Be careful to read the full details as some do not have the chips or are not compatible.    :o
I was recommended this supplier just to mess up his printer!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »
Experimenting in Rhos on Sea this morning

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »
Excellent use of light and reflection, ME.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »
keep experimenting ME and keep the photo,s coming, love them

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:16 am »
Fame at last! The photos are only in the print version, unfortunately.

Kelly Williams speaks to David Roberts on his project to record Rhyl’s declining streetscape

THESE photos catalogue a seaside resort’s demise from what was once a bustling hot spot attracting tourists in their thousands.

Rhyl in its heyday was a day-tripper’s haven boasting Logworld, the Butterfly Jungle, bumper boats, Punch and Judy, the monorail, skate park and Oceanworld.

Revellers from all over would flock to the town and spend their summers strolling along the promenade with an ice cream, visiting the Coliseum to see a show, or splash about in the paddling pool on West Parade.

But now, the area is barely a shadow of its former glory, with sorry, half-demolished buildings left behind, hinting at a long-forgotten history.

These images, taken by photographer David Roberts and loaded onto Flickr, document the contrast between Rhyl, past and present.

He said: “The image of the tired and run down seaside town has always interested me. Back in 2005, Rhyl’s glory days as a bustling seaside resort had long passed. Its promenade was a very shabby place indeed, housing a variety of run down buildings and businesses. The talk was of large scale redevelopment to transform the area, aiming to sweep away the tatty buildings completely.

“I wanted to document this pivotal moment in Rhyl’s history through the means of photography, so I started to record how it all looked before the regeneration work started. I was especially interested in how once grand buildings like the Palace Hotel had declined into a state of near dereliction, becoming a fitting metaphor for the decline of the resort as a whole.”

He added: “A significant number of the buildings in these photographs have now been demolished, in many cases to be replaced by just vacant land, as the promised redevelopment has never taken place. I’m continuing to document the changes taking place in Rhyl.”

Nostalgic residents have set up a Facebook group called We Love Old Rhyl where they have been posting old photographs and sharing memories.

Up to now, it has attracted over 1,500 members. The Daily Post is keen to publish images of the resort at its peak. Please send your photographs to kelly.williams@dailypost.co.uk.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/02/06/rhyl-then-and-now-in-pictures-55578-30272235/

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:23 am »
Read it in this morning's on-line Daily Post-- pity about the photos.
Well done ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:59 am »
Read it in this morning's on-line Daily Post-- pity about the photos.
Well done ! ;D
Thank you!  :) I believe the Daily Post are going to add the photos in to their website somewhere.

Offline hollins

« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
I have read online with interest about your Rhyl project but I can't find any pictures. Would it be possible to put a link to them on your flickr site?
Let's hope you never have to do a project on Llandudno's decline.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:47 am »