Author Topic: Photography  (Read 270368 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Photography
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »
These two are my favorite:

I'm sorry but we can't display copyright photos without the permission of the copyright owner. I had one complaint last month about photos being used without permission  and I don't want to have to deal with any more

But if you click on the link you can see the photos.  ???
Yes, because the photos are displayed on the photographers website, rather than this one. Presumably, he's happy for them to appear on his own site, otherwise they wouldn't be there!

If you want to refer to someone's copyright photo, it is always best to just put a link to the webpage itself, rather than 'borrow' the photo to stick on here (which is breach of copyright) or even put a link directly to the photo file on his website (which is bandwidth theft). Bit of a pain, I know.

To complicate the matter further, some photos are 'creative commons', which mean you can use them on here even though you didn't take them yourself.  When using Google Images, it's best to try and establish the copyright position before using the image.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »
My favourite Dave R photo is,
On the Prom

Hope I am not in trouble for using this link.
Who else would have been there on a rainy December day to take this wonderful atmospheric photo.

I agree with H,  its very atmospheric, and the colours and light are very evocative.
I had not seen it until recently, but once it was pointed to me, I realised how good it is.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »
If he was using a Nikon camera maybe they hold the copyright as they manufactured the camera.

All he was doing was looking at a view and pressing a button.

The view is of the paddling pool......did he have permission from the landowners?

Perhaps THEY hold the copyright?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2011, 10:51:38 pm »
This is all crazy talk...

I will do no checking whatsoever when I pick out a Google image..(I don't even know how)

Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:17 am »
This is all crazy talk...

I will do no checking whatsoever when I pick out a Google image..(I don't even know how)

Excellent! But be careful with the name "Fester" and images of Jackie Coogan. You may receive a phone call from the lawyers of an American film or TV company.  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2011, 08:04:34 am »
People are becoming very protective about what they consider their work.  There's software that tracks these photos, and reports back to the original owner when they're used elsewhere, so they can pursue damages if they wish.  The damages will be extracted from the forum owners, and can be substantial.

Most of the time, the folk concerned only ask for acknowledgement, or for the pic to be removed. But copyright legislation in the UK and Europe is very tough and extremely complicated, so we have to tread carefully.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:12 am »
The Three Towns Foundation can't afford any lawsuits, lads, so be careful...  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2011, 08:44:14 am »
But I still don't know HOW to check.... and shouldn't these protective types be suing Google then? For creating a system where their beloved pictures can be viewed willy-nilly by billions?

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2011, 08:50:45 am »
But I still don't know HOW to check.... and shouldn't these protective types be suing Google then? For creating a system where their beloved pictures can be viewed willy-nilly by billions?

In theory, they could certainly sue but would you want to take on a corporation the size of Google? Having said that, I believe Google is facing legal action from Publishers over unauthorised content on its Google Books site:
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/2011/03/22/google-books-copyright-settlement-rejected/

To find images that can be used perfectly legally, try this search engine:
http://search.creativecommons.org/
To use: Untick the two boxes to the right of the search box and then enter the search term and press Go. You can then click on the various tabs to view available images from each website listed, e.g Google Images, Flickr, Wikipedia etc.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:56 am »
shouldn't these protective types be suing Google then? For creating a system where their beloved pictures can be viewed willy-nilly by billions?

The same argument was used when tape recorders appeared, then cassette recorders, then computers and so on. But there's another side to that argument.

Simply because something that's been created is available to millions of people, does that mean it's okay to rip it off? Authors, composers, photographers and performers are all in that situation, and they depend on the ubiquity of technology in general to make their living.  It seems reasonable to me that if someone has put time, energy, skill and money into creating something unique that their work should enjoy at least limited protection, but suing the distributor doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in my book. 

Of course, the other way to look at it is how many who are professionally involved do; they watermark or otherwise limit their freely available offering.     

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2011, 09:41:15 am »
The images I removed yesterday were clearly watermarked as 'Copyright', so we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the photographer had complained...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »
The images I removed yesterday were clearly watermarked as 'Copyright', so we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the photographer had complained...

I thought that if you include the link as well as the photo it would be okay.  :-X

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2011, 05:43:56 pm »
Strictly speaking, a copyright photo cannot be reproduced anywhere without the express permission of the photographer. In reality, it all depends upon the photographer and how aggressive they are about defending their copyright. My photos pop up all over the place* but I don't really mind as long as people aren't trying to make money from them. Other photographers are far less amenable.

*...including on the new Llandudno & Conwy 2012 Calendar by J. Salmon & Co - available at all good newsagents NOW.  8)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:57 pm »
*...including on the new Llandudno & Conwy 2012 Calendar by J. Salmon & Co - available at all good newsagents NOW.  8)

Cool! Does Nigel Roberts stock any? 

It's out a bit early though isn't it? It's still April 2011.  8)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

Cool! Does Nigel Roberts stock any? 

It's out a bit early though isn't it? It's still April 2011.  8)
I'll ask him when I see him...  8) He does already have a nice range of Souvenir Llandudno Fudge that features my photos.

I assume the Calendars come out so early so that Salmon get the benefit of a full Season's worth of visitors buying them.