Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1252713 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #5250 on: December 19, 2015, 09:07:24 am »
Good try Hollins but it's not in Dolwen.   Perhaps these photos may help?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5251 on: December 19, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »
The long drive alongside the river in this pleasant meadow leads to this place.         $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5252 on: December 19, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
I would imagine that in February or March this pleasant meadow would be covered  in flowers such as Crocuses.     $walesflag$       $welsh$

There is a nice walled garden nearby with plants, shrubs and there may be some apple trees there too

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5253 on: December 19, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »
I would imagine that in February or March this pleasant meadow would be covered  in flowers such as Crocuses.     $walesflag$       $welsh$

There is a nice walled garden nearby with plants, shrubs and there may be some apple trees there too

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
but he won't have gone far away

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5254 on: December 19, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »
If you walk along the drive through that pleasant meadow you come to this property.

But where is it and what is it called?           $walesflag$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5255 on: December 19, 2015, 08:01:19 pm »
        Hugo, I have absolutely no idea where this property is but going solely on your "clues cymraeg" can I hazard a guess at a house named "Maes Hyfryd", although that doesn't bear any reference to the "apple" clues!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5256 on: December 19, 2015, 09:55:39 pm »
Gwynant, you are on the right lines with your clues Cymraeg except for the fact that maes means field in English.

The doctor is relevant to the walk as are the Crocuses and I've already told you the name of the house so where is it?

It's easy if you know it, but someone on the forum has already done the walk and posted photos

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5257 on: December 20, 2015, 09:18:14 am »
If you go through the grounds of Dol Hyfryd   ( Dol= meadow   Hyfryd  = Pleasant)     the route along the river takes you  to the doctor's  cottage where this famous author spent some time during his stay at a nearby Hall.

So what's the name of the town?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5258 on: December 20, 2015, 10:07:18 am »
Another photo taken near the cottage

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5259 on: December 20, 2015, 10:45:24 am »
                Hugo, this one has got me stumped but I am going to have a guess at a property with a walled garden on the Afon Ystraf just outside Denbigh on the B4501 just by the "Fifties Museum" near the old Denbigh Hospital, as the countryside strongly resembles the Vale of Clwyd.  Was the author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5260 on: December 20, 2015, 11:12:58 am »
Gwynant, you're so very near, so I'll give you that one, well done
It's the Dr Johnson walk in Denbigh and you follow the Afon Ystad to Lawnt in Denbigh and then go through the grounds of Dol Hyfryd Hall where I saw the dog statues and then on to Gwaenynog Estate where Dr Samuel Johnson and Beatrix Potter used to stay.
The Crocuses are best seen at the end of Feb & early March at Dolhyfryd, Lawnt, near Denbigh.   You can then  see the result of 1,000 corms scattered in 1840. This is most spectacular in sunshine around mid-day

I expected DaveR to get it as he has done the walk before and posted photos of it but I suppose Dave is enjoying La Dolce Vita somewhere and Hollins  who is a garden enthusiast may have known this place but is too busy shopping or enjoying the warmth in Dubai

Offline hollins

« Reply #5261 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:25 am »
Abu Dhabi now but as soon as I get back I am going to try and do that walk. I think I went to the gardens once on an open day but I'm not sure if yours is the same place. I do seem to remember a Beatrix Potter connection there.

Offline hollins

« Reply #5262 on: December 20, 2015, 11:45:11 am »
Yes, it is the same place. Suepp mentioned it and I visited after that. I found it on posts 86'ish in Exploring the Area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5263 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
Abu Dhabi now but as soon as I get back I am going to try and do that walk. I think I went to the gardens once on an open day but I'm not sure if yours is the same place. I do seem to remember a Beatrix Potter connection there.

Don't do the walk now Hollins,  the ground was boggy and we had to walk over a large smelly midden to avoid a deep swampy bit!
Wait until the crocuses are out and the ground has dried up a bit and then you can appreciate the beauty of the place.
Enjoy the rest of the sunshine because it's damp and cold here now and red rain is forecast in the future.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5264 on: December 20, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »
A very easy one for a change.     Where will you see these picnic tables in N Wales?       $walesflag$