Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1252638 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #5145 on: September 19, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »
An easy one for some people but where would you see this in N Wales?        $walesflag$   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5146 on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:45 am »
Perhaps this will help.       $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5147 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:44 pm »
Another clue       $welsh$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5148 on: September 20, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »
Dragon Theatre Barmouth !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5149 on: September 20, 2015, 02:12:48 pm »
Well done Nemesis, it was the Dragon Theatre in Barmouth.     &well&

I thought that it would be either you or ME that got it as I seem to remember you posting something about Barmouth on here.
The weather was beautiful there yesterday and the place was busy with tourists all making the most of the fine weather.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5150 on: September 20, 2015, 03:58:13 pm »
We were there a fortnight ago for 5 nights escaping from the phone at Dyffryn. The weather was good then as well. Have you ever been into the building Hugo? I once went in to a craft fair.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5151 on: September 20, 2015, 04:10:10 pm »
I didn't go into the place, but while I was taking photos my friends went into it to see the car boot sale.  They weren't impressed so I didn't go in it.
It's many years since I last came to Barmouth and I was pleased to see how busy it was.  On a good day like we had,  there are lots of thing to do and walks to go on and I'm sure we'll go back there again before too long

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5152 on: September 20, 2015, 06:47:51 pm »
Have a read up about 'Hen Bermo' Hugo, then walk up through the houses to Ruskin's Cottages which are built almost on top of each other. Fascinating history and marvellous views.
The walk will be nothing to you fit fellows, but just about kills me it is so steep !

If you can obtain a book called " Discover Barmouth today and yesterday" by Owena Wyn - Jones and John Jones, it makes a good and informative read. Only one shop in the town stocks it and that is on the main street opposite one with Strawberries in it's name.......unless you can pick one up on the internet. The big church was 1/2 built and the tower collapsed in 1891, the bridge almost collapsed after being infested with shipworm, the museum to do with the Bronze Bell is interesting. Sorry, but I can bore for Britain on various subjects !

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5153 on: September 26, 2015, 09:26:57 am »
              I passed these steps on a walk not too far from the Three Towns area earlier this week. Where are they to be found and who in particular would have used them in times gone by?

Offline Jack

« Reply #5154 on: September 26, 2015, 09:58:52 am »
Caerhun Churchyard/Romans?  $walesflag$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5155 on: September 26, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
 &well&   Apologies for the delay in replying Jack but I've been out enjoying the sunshine! Absolutely correct on both counts but the answer I was looking for was:-
           "Before you enter the churchyard, notice the steps to the right of the lychgate. Those leading up to the small stone platform were to help people mount their horses after services.The slate steps which jut out from the churchyard wall are said to be a facility for people to use whenever a coffin was blocking the lychgate. Pall bearers would rest the coffin in lychgates to await the arrival of the priest, who would perform some preliminary rites there. However, a Victorian painting shows parishioners using the slate steps when leaving the church after an ordinary service. If that was a faithful recording (rather than the fruit of artistic imagination), it suggests that the lychgate may have been the entrance for the well-heeled and the steps were for commoners," which is described on an information board situated inside the lychgate. (Pics below)
            I was surprised that the church was open and there was nobody about, as there have been thefts from churches/chapels situated in out-of-the-way locations. We were on a short circular walk from the site of the old Ferry Hotel out towards Caerhun and then across the fields following the Afon Wen to Pontwgan, and then cross-country back to Tyn-y-Groes, very enjoyable.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5156 on: September 29, 2015, 07:17:14 pm »
Dave R knows where I was on Monday when I snapped this...

But for everyone else, where is this huge rusting anchor?   

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5157 on: October 01, 2015, 06:49:03 am »
               I'm sure I remember seeing this anchor a few months ago on the coastal road from Tre-arddur Bay out to Ravenspoint on a walk from Tre-arddur to Rhosneigr.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5158 on: October 01, 2015, 09:39:13 am »
Spot on Gwynant!
That's exactly where I was.

&well& &well& &well&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5159 on: October 01, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
Treaddur Bay is a great place for a walk, winter or summer.  $good$