Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179206 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2013, 11:26:44 am »
               Thanks for that Dave.
                                                   $thanx$ $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »
I run a program called System Mechanic which I have had on the PC and laptops for a few years now.  It is a subscription item but for the annual fee you get all the latest updates and a program that really does give your PC a good clean out and clear-up.   It can be set to run automatically at chosen times or one can manually start it and choose which tools one wishes to use, all of them for a Spring clean or just one or two for a quick fix.  Never had a problem with it and it does what it says on the tin.

Available from Iolo Technologies.   D)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »
If you have a pc which is already slow, then one of the last things you want to do is install more programs to run in the background while your pc is on.
I would recommend CCleaner which is at the top of the list on DaveR's posted link.
I have used it for a number of years for a final clean up on pcs after virus removal.
It is an on demand program, so only runs when you start it up.

It cleans all the temp files etc from your pc.
It has a registry cleaner, which I have never known to find/delete any 'needed' entries, it also has a startup section to manually stop un-needed programs from running on startup.
It can also perform a few more tasks if needed.

The best bit is - - it's free!!!!

More info here:      http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Download from here:      http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:06 pm »
Yes, I used CCleaner back in my PC owning days, good little program.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »
Just used it, much improved now! thanks for that guys  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:06 am »

The best bit is - - it's free!!!!

Unless, of course you want the more comprehensive version which is £19.95.   ;)
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:27 am »
                Thanks to Rob 1 Rob, Merddyn Emrys, Yorkie and Dave.R. for your replies and recommendations.  I have today installed the Free version of CCleaner and will keep an eye on the situation.
                                                                                                                                      $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:13 am »
I'm giving CCleaner a go also, to see if it helps with the freezing/stalling that I have experienced recently.
I shall report back accordingly.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2013, 10:39:15 am »
I have used the CC Cleaner for years when it used to be called C--P Cleaner. It is easy to use, free and works well but just one problem I had is worth noting.
It is only if you have Sky Go on your computer. The CC cleaner will wipe out the pin unless you uncheck the Microsoft Silverlight box in the CC Cleaner Applications tab.
Sky will only let you make one change for month so if it is wiped out at the beginning of the month you will lose the service for the rest of that month.
I did uncheck the Microsoft Silverlight box though and after that all was fine and the pin hasn't been lost since.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:52 am »
AAAAARRRGGHHH !!!!

C Cleaner scan complete, but as Hollins alluded to, it WILL DELETE all your saved user names and passwords on any website that you have asked it to be saved.
That included all my suppliers websites, share dealing, online banking.... the lost!

It will be a devil of a job to re-establish them all.  :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:01 am »
it WILL DELETE all your saved user names and passwords on any website that you have asked it to be saved.That included all my suppliers websites, share dealing, online banking.... the lost!

Fester:  you know they're all saved in your cookies file? All you'd have to do would be to back that file up before using CCleaner.   On the other hand , if you had a Mac, it would do that anyway, and store everything in Keychain...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »
AAAAARRRGGHHH !!!!

C Cleaner scan complete, but as Hollins alluded to, it WILL DELETE all your saved user names and passwords on any website that you have asked it to be saved.
That included all my suppliers websites, share dealing, online banking.... the lost!

SNAP !!!  $angry$

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
There are tickboxes on the left hand side of the cleaner window so that you can select what is cleaned. - - - one of them is passwords.
Under options - cookies.    you can exclude cookies from sites you visit frequently that store your personal information within its cookies.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2013, 05:03:40 pm »
AAAAARRRGGHHH !!!!

No such problem with System Mechanic.   You only get what you pay for!    :(
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:34 pm »
Fester this is terrible news. Loosing all your suppliers etc. gosh, I bet you must be tearing your hair out