Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179120 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »
It does say Fat 32.
The disk drive C says: free space 1.11gb and total 7.40gb

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
Is the hard drive split into 2 partitions......... C for the operating system and D for storage?

If yes........back up the D drive onto external media for safety and restore the operating system via the recovery partition or those recovery discs you made as instructed when you bought the machine!!

I suggest you look at forums related to Acer machines for indepth info on your particular model of notebook incase it has some funny little quirks ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »
That's a very small Hard Disk, H! 

I think you maybe have a bad sector on the hard disk. My recommendation would be to get the hard drive replaced with a new (and much larger!) one if you are otherwise happy with the performance of your laptop.

Offline hollins

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2011, 10:01:13 pm »
I think I may have caused some confusion by calling it a notebook. It is a netbook.
It is a very small thing that I just use for my travels. I have a proper size laptop  for home use.
Is that the reason maybe that it is a small disk?
It has always been very slow to get going but okay after that!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »
You could always treat yourself to an iPad if you just need a small computer for travel use? A Friend of the Forum has just got one and I think he's very pleased with it.  8)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:34 am »
And - naturally - we're working on the new Three Towns Forum app, especially for members.

WWW WWW WWW

For quite some time I couldn't really see why anyone would want a tablet - iPad or any variety - then I saw, yesterday, that they're increasingly being used as remote controls for all the household tech equipment, and they've been finding niches in special schools, where they're apparently producing astonishing results with autistic children.

If you're going to get a tablet, I doubt you'll do better than the iPad.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2011, 08:46:24 am »
Anything beginning with an i.......i pad, i pod, i phone etc fills me with fear and trepidation!
I stood in the apple shop in Liverpool recently in awe of all those minuscule gadgets but will I ever know how to work them?
I hope so one day!

Husband has found that my troublesome netbook has an 8GB removable drive that I knew nothing about so maybe some things can go on there?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2011, 09:08:14 am »
Anything beginning with an i.......i pad, i pod, i phone etc fills me with fear and trepidation!

It shouldn't.  Apple's well-deserved success and meteoric rise is largely attributed to how easy they make it to operate their equipment. And I gather the iPad is the easiest yet.  Also, if you're ever in an Apple store again, don't forget they're more then happy for you to use their stuff to check your emails and browse the forum - a bit like a free internet cafe service :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:15 am »
I endorse Apple products.  $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2011, 09:46:54 am »
Over the past couple of days, my notebook shows this message on a grey background:

The device in the system modular bay cannot be identified. It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem.

Please read and complete the following steps in order;

1)   Press the device completely and firmly into the bay.

2)   Power off the system

3)   Press the power buttons to retry deleting the device

Press ESC to ignore error and continue.

Needless to say I always press ESC to continue but I still keep getting the message every time I switch on my notebook.

Sadly, it is gobbledygook to me !!

Help.  :rage:

Offline dwsi

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
Your problem is your CD/DVD drive. The modular bay is where the CD/DVD drive is inserted, either completely remove your CD/DVD drive and the computer should boot up fine or if you want the drive, then try reinserting it a few times

:rage:

$walesflag$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2011, 12:27:49 pm »
Thanks dwsi.

I just did as you instructed and it is now fine. 

$thanx$   

Offline dwsi

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2011, 02:17:41 pm »
Glad to be of service  D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2011, 07:10:48 am »

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:12 pm »
I think I may have caused some confusion by calling it a notebook. It is a netbook.
It is a very small thing that I just use for my travels. I have a proper size laptop  for home use.
Is that the reason maybe that it is a small disk?
It has always been very slow to get going but okay after that!

I have control of a Acer netbook with Windows 7(daughter's) and  it has a 250GB hard drive which is partitioned with the operating system in 1 partition and storage in the other.

As XP Home is about 7.7 GB on a hard drive I assume your harddrive is partitioned the same. Try and restore the operating system before wasting money on a new harddrive but BACK UP everything else before you do this........ .in case it does fail.

If you try and put the same operating system on a new harddisk and it is the operating system that is failing(unlikely) you will be no better off.