Author Topic: Niggles  (Read 163676 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Niggles
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:56 am »
What are they teaching the kids these days?

That's an interesting question, and one which is fairly topical.  Part of the problem lies in the illiteracy levels of the employers.  I remember in the late '80s mounting a mini campaign in M & S to get them to change their signs "10 items or less", which actually worked - nationwide, eventually.  But they're not the only culprits. Inability to use the apostrophe is endemic, with the comma not faring much better, and the semi-colon might as well be an alien visitor, for all the competence that attends its use.

The English language is dynamic, of course, and changes to accommodate acquisitions from other cultures.  This is one characteristic of a successful language, and those who fight what they perceive as 'cultural and linguistic erosion' should not be surprised when their own languages begin to whither.  The French have long sought to eradicate any 'contamination', which is one reason why their language - once espoused as the international language - has lost out to English.  But grammar, syntax and punctuation - particularly the latter - aid comprehension, so it's important to try to get them to acceptable levels.

Returning to Fester's question, however, I'd say that schools are in a battle simply to get children to read books. It's reading that improves writing, but how many kids these days enjoy reading books? Parents are the key to encouraging children to read, and perhaps if there were fewer TVs in bedrooms, fewer PS3s available 24 hours a day and  - perhaps most of all - more parents prepared to spend time reading to and with their children at an early age, then we'd have a significantly greater level of literacy in general.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:31 am »
A CV is generally a work of fiction, to some degree.  No need to be longer than one page and no need to add in every job you've done, just the ones that reflect best on you in terms of responsibility etc. Your work info is more relevant than your school grades, so that bit should come first. Keep it simple.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2011, 08:47:58 am »
Most youngsters these days haven't an idea how to write a letter, never mind spell it. They can all work fancy phones and computers, but can barely read and write in some cases. Makes me feel ancient !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:02 am »
I think email and texting has killed off letter writing, but it's still a much-needed skill.

Some time ago I endured a prolonged battle with HMRC and was dismayed at the dreadful level of literacy I discovered. Some of their responses were almost unintelligible.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:07 am »
I may be old fashioned but I still write letters!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2011, 01:30:23 pm »
I may be old fashioned but I still write letters!
Same here-- and I keep a dictionary handy--spelling never was my best subject !

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »
And I'm happy to receive interesting ones!

Yorkie

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
Here's a few interesting letters for you:

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Pi, Theta, Epsilon, Eta, Kappa, Lambda. . . .

If you would like a few more let me know!    _))*

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:22 pm »
no thanks

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
Man Flu

Now it's official - Duh

and I quote........."Women laugh about "man flu" but the condition is no myth, scientists have learned"

"men tended to "overrate" the severity of cold and flu symptoms. Women, on the other hand, were more likely to adopt a "stoical" attitude and soldier on in silence"

Erm..............excuse me, WE already know Man Flu exists.  "Overate the severity of cold and flu symptoms" that's got to be undestatement of the year!
Read it here  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/breaking-news/2011/01/19/man-flu-not-a-myth-say-scientists-55578-28012531/

All we need now is for "Little Man Syndrome" to be confirmed and we ladies can sail off on the big ship Smugness to the land of "See I told you so"  _))*
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline dontheturner

• Never look back, at your past mistakes
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2011, 03:54:33 am »
  My firsr Wife, never ever, gave in to 'Flu,   

but she did have 4 periods a month!

Offline tonyf

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2011, 08:43:13 am »
 :rage:

On the subject of punctuation. Below are 2 sentences that contains the same words in the right order but mean the complete opposite when changed by punctuation.

Meaning 1: Woman, without her, man is nothing.

Meaning 2: Woman without her man, is nothing. Z**

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:33 am »
This reminded me of school English lessons.

Have you seen our ginger cat?

Try saying the above sentence putting the emphasis on  a different word every time you say it.
eg:- HAVE you  seen our ginger cat?
       Have YOU seen our ginger cat?
       Have you SEEN our ginger cat?
etc etc,
The meaning changes every time.

Strange but true !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2011, 08:35:30 pm »
Woman, without her, man is nothing

That needs a semicolon or colon after "Woman" to make any sense at all.

Yorkie

« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »
One niggle I have is about the person who turns up at the shop just as you are getting set to close for the day and starts tapping on the window!   Damn annoying!      _))*