Author Topic: Military Record Edward OWEN bn 1892  (Read 8228 times)

Offline jom

Re: Military Record Edward OWEN bn 1892
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 06:07:35 am »
Just found his marriage cert on findmypast and he is mine william Hugh and he did marry Catherine Barnes!  Thanks

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:13:18 pm »
You're very welcome Jom, it's my pleasure.      Trefriw House is in Lloyd Street, the same street as the Archives that I go to but I can't remember seeing the house in the street

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 06:26:36 pm »
Trefriw House, 26 Lloyd Street has been renamed "Epinov"    ???  It's the cream coloured house with the steps in the photo.
In the 1929 Street Index Catherine Rowlands was still living there.

Offline jom

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:22:18 am »
 $thanx$  for the photo and information, Hugo.  Catherine Rowlands was Aunt to Catherine (Barnes) Owen so Aunt in law to William Hugh Owen.  I'm pretty certain that Edward was BROTHER to William Hugh and NOT son.  This is from census returns, baptism record etc.  The first and only mention of the potential for father and son is the service record and Edward's actual father John had died in 1895, so I suspect William Hugh was listed in his place.  Strange him though and not oldest brother.  Can think of no other outcome at the moment.

I do have another query in this line but related to service in the forces.  I have attached photos of whom I had thought to be sailor Edward OWEN bn 1892 but now wonder if it might have been his brother Thomas bn 1885.  The other is a soldier thought to have been Thomas but now believed to be Edward.  The reason for initial thoughts is dating and subsequent view is that Edward seems to have been in the Army not Navy

The first of the sailor suggests service on board HMS Aboukir (I think) and was noted as being taken in Malta  (date thought to be 1913 due to whereabouts of HMS Aboukir).  The second photo of the sailor was taken with my grandmother who was born in 1901 and we believe she was about 13 at the time of the photograph being taken.  The final photo with the soldier looks as though she was a bit older and is there with her mother Susannah Ann (Owen) WILLIAMS.  Both men are thought to be her maternal uncles and ages would suggest Thomas and Edward.  Edward's army record is the only one I've find and can find no survivor or casualty of HMS Aboukir to fit.  If anyone knows anything or could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.  I haven't tried the National Archives directly as yet but have tried googling names, boats etc and via Ancestry and findmypast.  There are folk specifically interested in HMS Aboukir but they were unable to find anything of relevance.  Just yet another puzzle

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:54 am »
Lovely photos Jom and I hope someone can help you with those searches.

Offline jom

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:54 am »
Wishful thinking I suspect as this isn't really the best forum for this enquiry, but I thought I'd try a long shot ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:42 pm »
Just a thought but have you tried asking the Armed Services under the Freedom Of Information Act?  Perhaps they have photos too.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:38 pm »
Hi, a relative of mine was  a Stoker on board the Aboukir when it was torpedoed in 1914 I found info on the war graves commission, and there is a memorial in Portsmouth to those that perished

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

Offline jom

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 12:18:04 am »
Thanks for the suggestion Hugo.  Think the national archives etc might be by best chance.  Thank you too suepp.  Great photo.  I've read both casualty and survivor list without any luck to date so I wonder if they were posted to another ship before the sinking

Offline jom

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:04 pm »
I have just found a descendent of Thomas OWEN and have made initial contact.  I am hoping they may be able to enlighten me re these 2 men and will post anything of interest.  Thomas did marry at some stage and have offspring therefore!

Offline jom

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »
BINGO!  I have found a relative of the sailor who has confirmed his identity as Thomas OWEN bn 1886 and married a Lily HAVARD in Bristol which is where he set up the family home.  Strangely 2 of his sisters settled there too.  Thomas was in fact a MERCHANT seaman (a stoker) and one of his ships WAS the Aboukir but NOT during the war.  He served on her from Mar 1909 - Mar 1911 by which time he was a first class stoker. 

I believe therefore that it is likely my soldier will be his younger half brother Edward OWEN, whom I have since found out served as, I believe, a driver in the Welsh RGA.  Thank you for your advice photos etc.  2 photographic mysteries solved and a newly discovered cousin. D)