Author Topic: First World War British Army tank  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Trojan

First World War British Army tank
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:42:58 am »
The photo below circa 1925 shows the WW1 British Army tank (far left) which used to be on display in Happy Valley Road, which was presented to the town as a memorial to the war.

In 1931 the UDC decided to remove it, and paid a Manchester scrap metal firm one pound to dispose of it. It took them over a week to remove it.

Offline Trojan

Re: First World War British Army tank
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:57 am »
I remember in the old forum, a tank enthusiast joined wanting to know the number of the tank.

This British Pathe clip dated 1920, shows the tank arriving in town, and shows it's number to be 27

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=27847

Offline Chris H

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:34 pm »
The tank was commanded by the then Lt Clem Arnold DSO, who went on as a Lt Col to raise two Medium Artillery Regiments in N Wales during WW2, based on the old Caernarvon and Denbigh Yeomanry.  He was also the owner of Arnolds, the shop on Mostyn Avenue.  He was a great patron of the local Army Cadet Force, which my father ran as the Detachment Commander from around 1972 - 74.
I met Lt Col Arnold when on leave from the Army in 1973 and I last saw him in a nursing home on the West Shore in 1975.
I still have his sword.

Offline Chris H

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »
These tanks were given to a number of towns across the UK. 
When I was stationed in Ashford, Kent, we used to visit a Chinese takeaway on our way back to barracks after a Saturday night out. 
Outside was a tank, placed over an electricity sub-station.  I think I'm right in saying that it's the only one left of all those presented, having survived the great drive for "scrap metal" at the beginning of WW2.
It gets cleaned up and painted quite regularly!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »
By coincidence, earlier today I received this e-mail which does have a link to this thread:

The following request has now been received for information/photographs about the following 1st World War venues:

1) Maenan House (now Candles Restaurant) Lloyd Street, Llandudno where they formed the 16th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers on the 2nd November 1914

2) A house in Charlton Street, Llandudno, where they formed another battalion RWF

3) Bellevue (which I believe was the original name for the Llandudno Museum House) Gloddaeth Street, Llandudno where the 14th Battalion (C&A) had their headquarters

4) Mostyn Art Gallery, Vaughan Street, Llandudno which was used a drill hall

5) Town Hall, Lloyd Street the headquarters of the North Wales Brigade

6) Gloddaeth Park, Llandudno where their were army barracks

If you have any information/pictures of anything to do with Llandudno, which was a hub of activity during the early years of the 1st World War we would be most grateful to see it and pass it on.