Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 561356 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1620 on: June 01, 2015, 08:40:21 pm »
I've removed the duplicate, Mike.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1621 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:59 pm »
Thanks. Not sure what happened.I think it was probably to do with the pop up message that whilst I was writing another post had arrived.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1622 on: June 02, 2015, 07:06:37 pm »
  Either that or I am developing a stutter

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1623 on: June 11, 2015, 06:50:45 am »
I wonder if there is a forum member who would be interested in an article on how to tuck one's shirt in?
Well, I can think of maybe one!    ;D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11664546/Stop-Youve-been-tucking-in-your-shirt-all-wrong.html

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1624 on: June 11, 2015, 07:44:10 pm »
  Hollins post at 06.50 in the morning. About tucking your shirt in. No comment.
  However, to a more serious subject. Providing we are car drivers we have all experienced barefaced stupidity of other drivers. I've certainly come across plenty in 70 years of "professional" driving. Early on illegally. But today I've come across a new one. Didn't think it possible.
  This morning, on the Llandudno prom heading towards the Orme. In a stream of 20 mph traffic. I heard it first. The well known notes of an emergency service vehicle. After a moment or two I spotted it, an ambulance heading the same way as me. Watching in the mirror I saw cars behind me pulling in until, I'm next. Theres a space on the left. I shoot in, the ambulance flies past, maybe 30 or 35 mph and I had hardly stopped moving so went to go back out into the traffic flow when--- +++k, a quick glance in the offside mirror and there is a car right up behind the ambulance going at the same fast (but possibly legal} speed. And about two inches off the front O/S wing of my car.Mature male driver. Mature female passenger. I carried on pulling out behind them and thinking "perhaps they have got a family member inside the Ambulance'. Making excuses for them. I have twice in my life driven behind an ambulance in an emergency with one of my daughters inside, so I know how it feels. Correct driving is not a high priority.
 Up to  the cenotaph, the ambulance turns left towards Mostyn Street. The car turns right towards the pier entrance. Oh dear, has he lost his way? Like hell. He had spotted a vacant parking space in front of the hotels on the left. And thats true. About 09.45. Hope its not any of our members.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1625 on: June 11, 2015, 07:48:52 pm »
  I've done this duplicating a post again. Sorry. It happens when I press post at the end and message comes up asking if i want to reconsider my message because another message has just arrived. I don't want to, so I press Post a second time.
  I will take more care in the future

Offline hollins

« Reply #1626 on: July 09, 2015, 05:46:57 pm »
Get well soon Hugo!

Online Hugo

« Reply #1627 on: July 09, 2015, 06:53:44 pm »
Thanks Hollins,  I'm well on my way to a full recovery.     $good$
Your artistic flair is just incredible and I always look forward to seeing your photos on here.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1628 on: July 28, 2015, 11:24:18 am »
 I am fed up watching the rain coming down. So here is a random thought for the coffee centre.
 A year or so ago I read in the papers that some very important lady politician had very publicaly apologised and withdrawn remarks she had made a day or so before in which she referred to the Japenese as "Japs"
  This made me feel very dispondent. Not because she had said it. Oh no. Because she felt she should apologise for it.
  What in heaven's name is wrong with calling a Japenese a jap? I know plenty of Welsh people who are proud to be called a Taff. Americans. They shout the yanks are coming. Scottish are called scots. Chinese. Well chinks doesn't sound too nice, but better than slit eyed I suppose. I would accept an apology there. Ditto frogs for French. And again, wops for Italian is doubtful.
  But japs for Japenese, never. It is just an abreviation

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1629 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:27 am »
One of the problems of modern day living is keeping up with politically correct terminology; for example I'm not sure to refer to 'coloured people' or to 'black people', in a meeting not so long ago someone objected to the term 'brain storming' as it could be offensive to people with epilepsy and should be referred to as 'thought showers'.

It's quite disturbing to think that a lack of current knowledge up to date political correctness might land you in difficulties or embarrassment, but often it's not those referred to, (as in the case above, Japs) that complain, but some loony with perceived ideals. In Indian newspapers and media, Pakistani's are referred to, whether in sporting-cricketing terms or belligerent terms, as 'Paks', I don't suggest that it would be accepted here!   

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1630 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16:25 pm »
I suspect the quick and dirty rule of thumb has to be whether it could cause offence to the persons being identified as such. I think I can see why "Japs" isn't acceptable by some, partly because during WWII that became a highly pejorative term. "Brits" never acquired that connotation, but a fair few Americans dislike being referred to as 'Yanks".

The distinction between 'coloured' and 'black' is for similar reasons. For many years the term 'coloured' or 'coloureds' was use to refer to slaves or persons considered inferior.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1631 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »
It's a.................   MINEFIELD !!!     :-}}} $fan$ *punch* $smack$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DVT

« Reply #1632 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:02 pm »
I suspect a lot depends on whether the word (Japs, Blacks, Yanks or whatever) is spoken or written.  Most of the "pet" names, when spoken, can be taken in the spirit in which they are intended - the person hearing would be able to tell if it is being said in a friendly or derogatory manner.

I have often heard people from north Wales referred to as "gogs" (as in Gogledd Cymru) but I've never heard anyone taken to task for saying it.  I don't like being called "Taff" as I'm not from Cardiff!!!

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1633 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »
I suspect the quick and dirty rule of thumb has to be whether it could cause offence to the persons being identified as such.

Not quite, it's whether ANYONE could be offended, as a friend of mine found out to his cost; he made what he thought was an innocuous comment socially to a friend which was overheard by someone who took offence, even though the comment was not directed at them or had any connection to them, he was reported and it severely affected his career. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1634 on: July 28, 2015, 04:07:29 pm »
Not quite, it's whether ANYONE could be offended, as a friend of mine found out to his cost;

I suppose it would depend on the position held by your friend. If he used a term with pejorative connotations and he held a position such as a newsreader, or teacher, say - then I imagine it could have a serious effect on his chances of promotion in that field.  In normal use between individuals, however, it shouldn't matter. But sadly. through ignorance, it often does.

We have a friend who's an ex-NSPCC top management person.  He's long retired, and has nothing good to say about the organisation, but that's another story.  At dinner one day I used the phrase 'getting down to the nitty gritty'.  He claimed I shouldn't say that because it related to some obscure usage during the British slave trade. It doesn't (there's absolutely no evidence it ever did) but he'd heard it once from a clearly uneducated race relations adviser and that had shaped his perception of the phrase.

Our exchange became quite heated, because it's a phrase I've long used and until he raised the issue I'd no idea anyone could relate it to slavery, essentially because there are no grounds whatsoever on which they can. Nonetheless, it does go to show some people get completely the wrong end of the stick and take offence at something without there being a shred of evidence to confirm or deny their stance. As F. says, it's a minefield.