Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 561251 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »
Using my bus pass it takes 3 hours to get to Chester and 3 hours back, total of 6 hours.  By car under two hours total.
Only 50 mins on the train the last time I went. It was the WAG Express.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #481 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:27 am »
You must be joking!   Z**  Add the time to get to the station, from the station, parking the car and you'll be lucky to beat 2 hours each way.    And train times are not always that convenient.  I can just jump in the car and go!    D)

Flying is just as bad (not that one would fly to Chester), 3 hour check in, flght delays, waiting for baggage, transfers etc.  From home to Albufeira (Portugal) via Manchester is almost 8 hours for a 3 hour flight!  And that's without flight delays!   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:55 am »
You would also have to add in the time spent finding a place to park in Chester and then walking from the car park to the City Centre. There's a free bus from the Train Station to the City Centre and back, running every 6 minutes.

No getting stuck in traffic jams or roadworks on the A55 either...  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #483 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:24 am »
hw much does the train ticket cost? (Chester return)  Usually, especially for two people, the car is cheaper. Don't get me wrong though I like a nice train ride!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #484 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:30 am »
Have a trawl on the net--- I got back to Yorks. to see our daughter for £26 (both ways). It was cheaper to buy a single ticket there and one back than to buy a return ! Booked seats both ways as well.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »
Hello Nemesis, a bit late responding to this post!!! This boggles my mind, an absolute basic principal was a return was cheaper than a single because the transport operator collected double the cash. Any ideas why? Mike (P.S. Is it something to do with the time of day you travelled?)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #486 on: September 03, 2011, 10:25:07 am »
Don't think so Mike--my OH had to make the same journey last year to attend a funeral-- he didn't go until lunchtime one day and came back at tea time the next. It was cheaper to buy 2 singles then, also probably cheaper than petrol let alone hassle. Funny system, but handy to know.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:49 am »
I bought some delicious looking damsons in Asda in Llandudno yesterday. £1.40 for 500g. I am busy making jam with them.

The Arriva Trains 55 is back on offer starting this week. £18  return anywhere in Wales but you have to be over 55!

Online Bri Roberts

« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2011, 01:11:15 pm »
hollins, Club 55 is actually anywhere on the Arriva Trains Wales network so one can visit both Manchester and Birmingham NEC.

If one has a senior rail card then there is a further £2 discount.

Offline hollins

« Reply #489 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:47 pm »
Yes, thanks for clarifying that.
They also have a page of add on fares....

http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55AddOnFares/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
I bought some delicious looking damsons in Asda in Llandudno yesterday. £1.40 for 500g. I am busy making jam with them.

The Arriva Trains 55 is back on offer starting this week. £18  return anywhere in Wales but you have to be over 55!

This sounds incredibly age-ist.
I too would like cheap rail travel, and I shall take this matter to the Court of Human Rights, as I cannot wait another 8 years to qualify.
I shall chain myself to the buffers in Llandudno train station.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Bri Roberts

« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
Yes, thanks for clarifying that.
They also have a page of add on fares....

http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55AddOnFares/

That is quite correct, hollins.

My missus plans to visit her cousin in Marple by paying the extra thirty bob.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:40 pm »

I too would like cheap rail travel, and I shall take this matter to the Court of Human Rights, as I cannot wait another 8 years to qualify.
You're not wrong. There was an article in the paper the other day about all the hundreds of thousands of former rail staff who get completely free unlimited train travel. Of course, it's not really free because the rest of us have to subsidise it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/8729312/Half-a-million-rail-workers-enjoy-free-or-discounted-travel.html

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »
cmon fester, you only want to do that because you know the train will be late and you have to be back in the shop in am

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #494 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:51 pm »

If your hunger strike has been effective, Fester, you should be safe to chain yourself to the buffers with no danger of being squashed by a train which doesn't stop soon enough - but don't turn sideways-on or nobody will be able to see you protesting at all!  ;D