Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 560871 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »
Ian has been shifting things around again !!  Pack it in!!

Right, after all that walking and complaining.... I'm off to Pars for that most excellent £11.50 eat all you like buffet.

He ain't going to make much profit out of me tonight, I'm starving!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

*&(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2011, 08:25:30 am »
It was actually meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I don't usually bother to move posts around, but a set of restaurant reviews in Local Eyesores seemed a bit out of place.  8)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:02 am »
Ha!

$hands$

D)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2011, 10:31:28 am »

Right, after all that walking and complaining.... I'm off to Pars for that most excellent £11.50 eat all you like buffet.

He ain't going to make much profit out of me tonight, I'm starving!

Hey Do you lot ever eat at home?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

brumbob

« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »
Still can't understand why my Funny Films thread was moved from Games and Jokes to The 3 Towns Arcade?
It's just going to clog it up in here, especially after this was said  ???
a vast plethora of seemingly unrelated topics is one of the major deterrents to new folk joining.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:30 am »
There are two points, really: the first is that the coffee centre is a place where we can talk about anything, so it's as good a place for videos as anywhere else.  The second is that I'm trying to prevent topics mushrooming as they did on the old forum. If everyone starts a new topic for anything they want, then the topic indexes appear when a new members is browsing, and it will just seem overwhelming.

The biggest issue is redundant duplication.  When you have new topics being started willy-nilly, after a while people forget there's an existing topic that covers what they want to ask or say, and they start a new one.  It's already happened in here, and that's an even bigger issue than duplication. The interesting thing is that I suspect some folk start a new topic because they feel that - unless they do - it might get missed.  But that doesn't happen.  Any new posting in any topic will appear when you click 'Show unread posts since your last visit'.

Now, if you're going to be posting vast numbers of links to You Tube videos, then I agree it makes sense to have a separate topic - perhaps something called 'Interesting YouTube videos', for instance.   That topic should be placed in 'Music, TV, Radio and the Arts', and not in here, so I'll split and move it. Look in there for it when you return.

I think newcomers to any forum expect to find some semblance of order and organisation already in place so they can find subjects relatively easily. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2011, 11:43:13 am »
Ian, I have just noticed your reply... and I apologise, as it was DAVE doing the tinkering !!

But... the very fact that I have just noticed your reply is an issue in itself.
Because when a topic is moved to another thread, it will not display when I click ''show replies to MY posts''
Or if it does, I miss it, because its now been moved to a thread I wasn't expecting to need to look at.

Anyway.... carry on,   and DAVE...PACK IT IN !    L0L L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:33 pm »
Because when a topic is moved to another thread, it will not display when I click ''show replies to MY posts''

That's right.  And that's actually the best reason for not using that function, but always using "Show unread posts since last visit." That function displays everything, including the moved, merged or changed posts.

In fact, many forums don't have the former as you can miss a lot of new stuff by only using 'show replies to MY posts''.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:16:21 pm by Ian »

brumbob

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »
Now, if you're going to be posting vast numbers of links to You Tube videos, then I agree it makes sense to have a separate topic - perhaps something called 'Interesting YouTube videos', for instance.   That topic should be placed in 'Music, TV, Radio and the Arts', and not in here, so I'll split and move it. Look in there for it when you return.
so It's OK to start a new thread for non you tube videos  _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
Nah - I think we'll use YouTube as a generic title...

:twoface: :twoface: :twoface:

brumbob

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »
he he, ok, you're the boss

Offline Trojan

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »
he he, ok, you're the boss

What about DaveR? Does Ian have more shares in the forum?  8)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »
Same as another local blogger !!!!! AWOL
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.