Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 250987 times)

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #750 on: May 11, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »
A little bit off this banking subject, but not too far.  - - -  At the moment a lot of people signing up to Amazon are not reading the t's & c's correctly & are ticking/unticking the agreement to sign up to Amazon Prime.
This keeps you updated of their latest deals/price drops, but will take X amount of £s from your bank account on a monthly basis. - -
Because the charge is quite minimal, most people who accidentally sign up to it dont really notice it is being taken out on a regular basis!!!

Amazon is a reputable company, so if you notice these withdrawls quite quickly, Amazon will acknowledge your mistake & will sort it. - or your bank will reimburse you.

ALWAYS read any info before you tick/untick agreement boxes when signing up to, or downloading anything.

BE CAREFUL

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #751 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »
I must be the only person in the world who has never bought anything of Amazon! I do look at reviews on there though!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: May 12, 2013, 08:31:22 am »
It's not an exaggeration to say that Amazon is our first port of call for most non-food things. The Amazon Prime concept appeared more than a year ago, and the option tick box was placed where - previously - folk had indicated they wanted free "super saver" delivery, so ticking the A Prime box in error was simple to do. After quite a bit of moaning by customers, they eventually moved it, but - as Rob says - it's still easy to tick by mistake.

On bank cards, we've had our credit card details stolen twice.  Embarrassingly, the second time was when Everest were fitting our new double glazing, and we were waiting to pay the balance by CC. The bank rang us about an hour before the Everest chaps had finished to say they were suspicious and had we really ordered £1200.00's worth of vitamin tablets? They cancelled the cards but - because we've always made sure we both carry a non-joint card for precisely this sort of problem - it was just a bit inconvenient.

We had a long natter with the CC people who told us our card had been cloned by someone at an online retailer.  However, this is the reason why it's often quite difficult to get things sent to an address other than your own.

Since then the Verified by Visa system has become almost mandatory, and that's had the effect of cutting card fraud like that down a lot. It's still worth bearing in mind that most fraud is committed by employees of companies that have access to your details, which is why Verified by Visa has enjoyed quite a bit of success. By splitting any transaction across two discrete bodies or companies, it would require a fairly ingenious fraudster to be in both places at once. or someone daft enough to leave their details with their credit card. Of course, this in itself brings problems for older folk whose memories are not what they once were.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:29 am »
It's not an exaggeration to say that Amazon is our first port of call for most non-food things.
Agreed, I love it!  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #754 on: May 12, 2013, 10:03:48 am »
The speed of it amazes me-- or have I just been lucky?
Things ordered one afternoon have been with me within 12 hours !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:42 am »
It's astonishingly good, isn't it? And returns are just as simple.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #756 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:01 am »
Great !--- I am eagerly awaiting my Les Miserables DVD ( out this next week) having pre-ordered it ages ago. Post free as well.
Sorry local shops--but if the service was as good I'd be on your doorstep. Our last experience of trying to buy 4 TVs locally was an absolute disaster. Not one retailer could offer us more than one from stock. You can guess where we shopped. Next day delivery !

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #757 on: May 12, 2013, 10:28:57 am »
I am another avid user of Amazon and am usually buying something most weeks.  Latest parcel to arrive was 10 packs of 4 rolls of toilet tissue "Puppies on a Roll".  Price delivered for 40 rolls £14.00.  I feel very flushed with such a bargain.  And the big outer box is quite useful too!
  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #758 on: May 12, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
So that's why all the high street shops are closing down, it's Amazon's fault!  ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #759 on: May 12, 2013, 06:55:37 pm »
It's a lot cheaper getting Amazon to delivery it free than the cost of carrier bags! 
 Z** Bottoms up!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #760 on: May 12, 2013, 08:11:25 pm »
It's a lot cheaper getting Amazon to delivery it free than the cost of carrier bags! 
 Z** Bottoms up!

And petrol ! ;D

Online mull

« Reply #761 on: May 12, 2013, 09:39:50 pm »
So you are prepared to shovel money into a firm that avoids paying any tax towards the general good.

I take it you all enjoy living in this country.

Make sure your money goes to the general good instead of abroad.

I might not agree with everywhere our taxes go, but I am sure it is better in OUR hands as a country, than lining someones pocket in a offshore tax haven.

Can not believe people can be so selfish when they know how the NHS,charities etc are struggling for money.

Think about it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #762 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:37 pm »
So you are prepared to shovel money into a firm that avoids paying any tax towards the general good.

I take it you all enjoy living in this country.

Make sure your money goes to the general good instead of abroad.

I might not agree with everywhere our taxes go, but I am sure it is better in OUR hands as a country, than lining someones pocket in a offshore tax haven.

Can not believe people can be so selfish when they know how the NHS,charities etc are struggling for money.

Think about it.

Where people choose to shop is none of your business. I don't particularly like Walmart's ethics but I don't go preaching to people outside of Asdas!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #763 on: May 12, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
I have no problem with Amazon, just can't think of anything that I need from them, mostly classic. Car related stuff that I buy, ethics of companies is not something that I worry about, I'm a regular in Asda, very happy with them!  $good$

Online mull

« Reply #764 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:17 am »
If people choose to spend thier money with a trader who does not pay thier taxes that is thier business.

But I still have a right to my opinion even if it upsets them.

If we all avoided paying our taxes, as these companies do,. the country would be in a worse mess than it already is.

Somebody has to pay for all this. Why should it be you or I.

All I am saying is next time you shop at Amazon, ASDA or another multinational, question do they pay thier fair share of tax, as everyone should.