Author Topic: 'Elf and Safety  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Yorkie

'Elf and Safety
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »
As many may know, come 1st January 2013 when the Gas Man cometh to inspect or repair your boiler he will have to make a visual inspection of the FULL LENGTH of the flue.  If it is a balanced flue that just goes straight through the wall to the outside then there is no problem.  If, however, it goes up and through the roof void, or is behind a wall or in a service duct, there will have to be access so that it can be inspected.  This is to comply with the new installation regulations.   

If the flue cannot be inspected you will receive a prohibition notice and the boiler will be turned off!   

There are some "new" companies that will no doubt be around knocking on doors offering to construct the access for you -  it's up to you if you use them! (See scams thread etc.)   

To rectify my own situation will be quite easy, but for some people it is going to be rather difficult.   I can also see the "Jobsworth" Gas Men switching off the CH Systems of a lot of OAP's just at the time of year that the heating is most required.   
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: 'Elf and Safety
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »
One would hope that this whole new procedure has been fully thought through, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

Re: 'Elf and Safety
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:25 am »
One would hope that this whole new procedure has been fully thought through, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Obviously not!   I have heard that there is a new construction in the area with the flues running underneath floors!

I can certainly understand the reasons for having flue inspections, but the first I heard about it was only a week or so ago!   I have not seen any publicity.  I would have thought that the people who installed ones system would be around wanting the work, but not heard a peep!   I'll be fitting a Co2 detector as I create my access.
 ££$

One's home is certainly not ones castle any more!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero