Author Topic: Natural and man-made disasters  (Read 14390 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Natural and man-made disasters
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »
There must be few people who are not aware of the mine rescue in Chile. I have been surprised that over the last eight weeks I have seen no reference to what I think is a similarity to a fictional film entitled "Ace in the Hole" starring Kirk Douglas, Father of Michael Douglas. Does anyone remember it? Although I was never a keen cinema goer, and I was, and am, even worse at remembering them, I remember this film well. I looked it up in Google, I knew it was around in the 1950s, but Google say it was 1951. I didnt think it was that long ago. However, in case anyone is interested, my memory tells me that, basically, a local newspaper reported comes across a man trapped down a mine. The reporter knew the area well, and knew there was a fairly easy way he could be released---maybe a day or two.But, he decided to make a scoop for himself. He managed to presuade everyone that the only way to rescue the man was by drilling down from above, which would take weeks. The reporte r made a killing financially with spin offs even down to burger bars for spectators  Unfortunately, too late, he realised the man was starting to die, and it was too late to get him out by the secret, quick route.  Sorry, but I truly don't remember what happened in the end. Perhaps I had to leave the cinema to catch the last bus home.

Offline Trojan

Re: The mine rescue in Chile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:36:43 am »
You're a mine of information Mike.  8)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:04:03 am »
Yes the rescue was an amazing operation, so well prepared for and carried out. It was incredible that there were no significant problems and that it all ended happily.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:55 am »
Yes, and some very ingenious solutions devised in order to get supplies down to the miners in that tiny opening.

Online Ian

• Administrator
Japanese earthquake
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:18:32 am »
Seismologists at the US Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California, have just revised their calculations regarding the magnitude of today's quake. They now say it was magnitude 9.0. Already one of the top 10 recorded earthquakes in history, the revision suggests the quake was even more powerful than first thought.

Harold Tobin of the University of Wisconsin-Madison told New Scientist that this figure will probably change again. This is typical in the hours after a large seismic event, as more information becomes available.

Earlier today, it was suggested that the tremor may have occurred along a splay fault - a branch off the main megathrust fault which runs through this area of the Japan trench. If so, that could mean the fault was previously unknown to geologists.

Splay faults tend to break at steeper angles than megathrust quakes, making them highly likely to lead to a large uplift of the seafloor that produces damaging tsunamis such as the one that crashed ashore in Sendai and the Honshu coast earlier today.

But the new set of calculations indicate that the giant quake ruptured at an angle of 14 degrees below horizontal. Such a shallow slip suggests the earthquake did in fact occur along the main megathrust fault.

Tobin said that in the next few days, seismologists will be working feverishly to come up with a new set of calculations known as an "inversion" to determine over what area the fault slipped and how great the slip was. It's likely to have been several metres for an earthquake of this magnitude.

Once that's established, geologists will begin to look at how this earthquake may have transferred stress onto - or away from - faults in the Tokyo bay and Nankai trough regions, to the south-west.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Ian

• Administrator
Re: Natural and man-made disasters
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:42 am »
It keeps on getting worse:

The Japanese are certainly having a rough time of it, and following last Friday's devastating magitude 9.0 earthquake, Shinmoedake volcano on the southern island of Kyushu erupted yesterday.

The volcano had been dormant for 52 years until showing signs of stirring in January. It's currently spewing ash and rock some 6,000ft into the air while a lava dome ominiously grows inside the crater.

Shinmoedake is some 950 miles from the epicentre of last week's quake, and experts can't say whether or not its latest outpouring is as a result of that event.

The mountain famously appeared in 1967 Bond outing You Only Live Twice, when it was the location of Blofeld's secret rocket base. Fans will recall it met an impressively pyrotechnic end at the hands of 007. ®
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:31:40 am »
These Jap nuclear reactors seem a bit ropey - are they made by Toyota?  :laugh:  Did they not consider the idea of a Tsunami knocking out the generators that control the cooling?

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:24 am »
Probably, but this quake was somewhat bigger at 9, and it seems to have been caused by a Splay - a newly appearing tectonic fracture which hadn't been known about, the same sort of scenario as posed in the film, 2012.

It's a  massive domino effect, it seems; the reactors have all been shut down, but the heat inside is taking a long time to escape and the pressure inside is resisting their attempts to get coolant in. Briefly, although all four reactors automatically shut down immediately after Friday's earthquake, engineers have struggled to cool down the reactor cores, because pumps that should have driven cooling water into the reactors failed. This meant that the reactors overheated, turning the water into steam.

The engineers therefore vented the steam, carrying some radioactive caesium-137 and iodine-131 (both of which are produced by the uranium in the fuel rods) into the environment. The fuel rods are tubes of zircoloid stuffed with uranium dioxide. When these aren't cooled enough, they swell up and can crack. At that point, radioactive caesium and iodine gases can escape. As the zircoloid heats up, it reacts with the cooling water to form hydrogen, which is a highly explosive gas. This was to blame for the dramatic explosions that damaged the outer buildings of reactors 1 and 3.

However, it is now reactor 2 that is causing the most concern. Replacement pumps intended to inject cooling water have repeatedly failed, meaning that water levels fell and the fuel rods overheated still further. According to Kyodo News:

Water levels sharply fell and the fuel rods were fully exposed for about 140 minutes in the evening as a fire pump to pour cooling seawater into the reactor ran out of fuel and it took time for workers to release steam from the reactor to lower its pressure, the government's nuclear safety agency said.

Then within the last few hours a further accident occurred. Kyodo News reports:

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday fuel rods were fully exposed again in the No. 2 reactor of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant as of 11 p.m. TEPCO said a steam vent of the pressure container of the reactor that houses the rods was closed for some reason, leading to a sudden drop in water levels inside the reactor.

This series of coolant failures has increased the chance that the fuel rods will start to melt. If you fail to cool it, the uranium can melt and it will all fall to the bottom as a big soup.
But even if the rods do melt and sink to the base of the reactor vessel, this shouldn't be a problem unless the vessel itself breaks open.
"The big question is whether the containment holds," says Wakeford. "There was a meltdown at Three-Mile Island, but the vessel remained intact."
Wakeford says there is no chance of a "China syndrome" scenario, with the fuel burning its way right through to the earth's core with potential to blow up the planet.

The repeated coolant failures have made the situation much worse, because temperatures and pressures will have risen much more. The pressure vessel that contains the fuel rods will have some threshold beyond which it cannot cope, and will break open.

If the pressure vessel does burst, radioactive gases would be released, mainly caesium-137 and iodine-131. Radioactive iodine is the biggest problem, because if it contaminates drinking water or milk, it can be taken up by the thyroid gland, potentially leading to thyroid cancers as seen in the wake of Chernobyl.

Much more long-lived, with a half life of 30 years, is the other potentially dangerous element that could be released: caesium-137. This has been the most problematic legacy of Chernobyl, as it was carried throughout western Europe by the wind. Wakeford says that the Japanese authorities need to do whatever they can to prevent it escaping.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:45:36 am »
Why on earth do they have nuclear power stations at all.  They know they are living on a fault.  When I was there, a tower in Kyoto had a notice at the top which said "This tower has been built to withstand the strongest typhoon that Japan has ever experienced and an earthquake of 6 the strongest ever had here".  Well there's no accounting for nature making them stronger is there? :rage:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
Japan is facing the world's biggest nuclear crisis for decades as engineers struggle to regain control of the Fukushima plant following another explosion and a fire that caused a spike in radiation to harmful levels.

Amid growing fears that the situation is heading for catastrophe, 70 technicians are still battling to cool reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi facility but non-essential personnel have been ordered to leave and the Kyodo news agency reported that radiation levels have become too high for staff to remain in control rooms. The government has already called in international help in tackling the spiralling crisis.

Early on Tuesday, the power plant in the country's stricken north-east was rocked by an explosion at the No 2 reactor, the third blast at the site in four days. That was followed by a fire that broke out at the No 4 reactor unit, which appeared to be the cause of today's radiation leaks. That reactor was shut down for maintenance before the earthquake, but its spent fuel rods are stored in a pool at the site. The fire was later extinguished but Kyodo reported that the pool was subsequently boiling, with the water level falling. If the water boils off there is a risk that the fuel could catch fire, sending a plume of radiation directly into the atmosphere.

Radiation levels at one location on the site reached 400 millisieverts (mSv) an hour after the fire - four times the level that can lead to cancer - the chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said. But levels had lowered dramatically by the end of the day, according to the International Atomic Energy Authority.

The government ordered any inhabitants remaining within the 12-mile (20km) radius exclusion zone to leave immediately, told those between 12 miles and 19 miles away to stay indoors and imposed a 19-mile no-fly zone. Experts backed their assessment that health risks beyond that area were minimal at present.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »
The effects of the Tsunami was felt on the Western seaboard of the United States, some 14 hours after it struck Japan.

Santa Cruz Tsunami Up Close 2011

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:23:43 pm »
That was amazing, to think it had such an effect over that distance  *&(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »
Ian, I am NOT being nasty or sarcastic here---but---did you pull all these most technical facts about the Japan disaster out of your head, your own knowledge, or did you read it up? No disgrace in either event, but, if you did already know all this, I think your talents are a bit wasted.  Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:20:09 am by Ian »

Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »

I think they call it "research", Mike! )*)&
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:47:56 am by Ian »