Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 418493 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2013, 08:41:33 am »
The white edifices on poles which spin round-- Are they for decoration or some kind of strange turbines? ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2013, 09:15:42 am »
They are wind turbines.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2013, 11:48:32 am »
Thanks Dave  :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline viv

« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »
There is more greenery and colour to be installed. There are shrubs in the zig zags - between the pathways which are of the required ratio for disabled access, and grassed areas by the car parks where at present you just see the concrete kerbs. There will be a children's play area on the sea side (below the pointed bit and viewing platform) and this will have a soft play surface in bright colours. There are also mosaic panels constructed by local schools (and very attractive too) on some of the concrete wall areas.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2013, 11:02:33 pm »
That zig zag path looks like it will take ages to go up and down!  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:35 am »
There is more greenery and colour to be installed. There are shrubs in the zig zags - between the pathways which are of the required ratio for disabled access, and grassed areas by the car parks where at present you just see the concrete kerbs. There will be a children's play area on the sea side (below the pointed bit and viewing platform) and this will have a soft play surface in bright colours. There are also mosaic panels constructed by local schools (and very attractive too) on some of the concrete wall areas.
That's good to hear, I'm looking forward to having a look around when its completed.  :)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2013, 08:44:06 am »

Ah so!  It is only going to be another 2 years 'till opening then?    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
I had a walk along there with my sister today, although the building work seems close to finishing,the pipes that will be used to pump
the sand up onto the beach seem a long way off being connected. We watched a curious seal in the water by the old pier, bet he didn't know which way to go.
This is one project i would love to see in action and will the sand be pumped from a ship off shore, I am more interested in the
engineering process of moving thousands of tons of sand under the sea and onto shore , than the completed project. Wonder what would happen if the pipe got blocked  :D. I do hope its nice clean sand as the bay has cleaned its act up really well and the water up to this work has looked remarkably clean.I guess it will take months if not years to get the rock and beach ecosystems back again. Lots of healthy looking seaweed and starfish and crabs were there before all the work now will have been destroyed. Last year we watched a group or pod of Harbour porpoise swim and breach near old Colwyn and across to Llandulas as my friend saw them there the same afternoon. Just hope all this much needed work down there doesn't discourage the fishing and the wildlife from the bay.
Does anyone know if the rocks that are being moved at old Colwyn will be like Rhos to Penrhyn bay, up against the seawall. Just wondering if folk will still be able to walk on the beach there and take their dogs, as it is the only dog friendly beach. *tumble*

Offline Linda

« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2013, 10:50:17 pm »
That zig zag path looks like it will take ages to go up and down!  ???

Yes my sister an i had a smile about that one. I can see how easy it will be to push a pram or wheelchair up there, but I think you may have to allow yourselves quite a bit of time to do it (make sure your go to the toilet before attemping it) ;D

Offline Linda

Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2013, 11:11:04 pm »
Just thought i would add a little note, today as i walked along Colwyn bay prom, I felt a little sad at the fact
that the three Kiosks that were closed by the council due to work starting and moving in the vicinity ,could have remained open a little longer and had the trade of the workforce down there which they had up to a couple of weeks ago. Even if it had only been an extra 3 weeks could have made a little difference to the leaseholders and the Guys working down there. &shake&

Offline viv

« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »
update from Conwy yesterday: The pipe tow from Pensarn to Colwyn Bay went exceptionally well. The steel sinker was floated and towed last Friday afternoon and sunk on to the beach in Colwyn Bay. The rubber floater line was towed on Saturday and has been connected to the seaward end of the sinker line.

Since the floating of the pipe, a beach reinstatement has been undertaken and the Contractor will soon be demobilised and clear of Pensarn beach.

The connection between the sinker line and the dry-line is now being made, and the whole pipeline will shortly be ready for the first load of sand.

The Barent Zanen set sail from Rotterdam on Sunday afternoon and this morning rounded the tip of Cornwall. The vessel is expected to arrive in to the dredge area 20 miles north of Colwyn Bay between 8am and 10am tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. The ship’s captain for the dredge and the operational manager are currently on site in Colwyn Bay and will be transported to the dredger as soon as it arrives and commence the dredging immediately.

High water is at 4:30pm in Colwyn Bay tomorrow and the target is to arrive with the first load of sand between 1pm and 3pm.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16:27 pm »
I've just been watching the TV News, there was a very good piece about the dredging of sand.
It showed the sand and sea water being deposited on the beach at Colwyn Bay at a very intense pace from the huge pipe.

It looks like a very interesting scene down there.  If I had the car at my disposal, I would go and watch it!  *&(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #312 on: March 21, 2013, 02:23:20 pm »
Only a 20 minute cycle  ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #313 on: March 21, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
 _))* *cycle*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #314 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »
Only a 20 minute cycle  ;D

Indeed Jack... and I did just that before my holiday recently.  (the day that the chain broke!)
Since returning though, my right knee has been in shreds, so your bike has been a bit lonely and unused for the past few weeks.      *cycle*

Let me know when you need it back.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -