Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 418002 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:06 am »
The official opening is 18/19th May, to coincide with Prom Day:

The annual Bay of Colwyn Promenade Day that normally takes place on the first Bank Holiday in May will undergo a massive overhaul for 2013.   The event is to be re-branded and will take place over the weekend of 18th – 19th May.

As well as a new brand and date the event will also be moving site, making its way along the promenade towards Colwyn Bay with a road closure in place from Marine Drive, Colwyn Bay to the A55 slip road at Old Colwyn, allowing a family fun event for all in a safe environment.

The weekend will also see the official opening of Porth Eirias, the new watersports hotspot due to open to the public in late spring.  Organisers, Conwy County Borough Council, want to showcase the potential of this fantastic new facility, the improved defences and the redeveloped beach, which will be a great asset to the local area and the event.

As well as the traditional funfair taking place, new activities currently being explored include a giant sandcastle sculpture, beach party, local food market, an interactive kids zone, outdoor adrenaline fuelled experiences and many other beach and water based displays.

Offline Linda

Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »
Today I got another email, with reference to the Rhos Kiosks, apparently there is some legal wrangle going on ,

the councillor I wrote to says he has little experience in civil law ,but has notified the legal department of the CCBC to clarify.

Hummmm! I really dont know what this means, I suppose i had not better voice my speculation. Just have to wait and see  )*)&

Offline Red Kody

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »
Hi Linda,

I have heard a rumour about the kiosks and feel the same way about the shabby way the traders are being treated. They are not getting any support from the local council who seem to do what they want without any thought to the wishes of the people who actually support the local businesses. It would seem that the pier is thier priority now that the new 'place'is nearly ready. The pier has reached its sell buy date councillors, it had a purpose when the boats called from Liverpool and Llandudno, it had a purpose when there were Banquets and Balls and when entertainment venues where frequently visited but now, no boats, no banquets, no bands only a rusting relic that will swallow a huge amount of money which in the time of recession we can ill afford, for what purpose?  The little kiosks are little oasis on a very long and boring promenade where locals and visitors alike, park up, enjoy the seaside and can have a cup of tea. We must not let the council close them without putting new ones in their stead,  and the current operators should be allowed to carry on, they have been doing a grand job for years and deserve some respect from the people who constantly call for more vistitor attractions. 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2013, 07:13:38 pm »
  I'm not nit picking--just pointing out something so that in years to come no one can read your post and take it all as fact.  No boats bigger than a rowing boat, maybe, has ever called at Colwyn Bay pier. There is just not enough water.
  Rhos pier did have boats calling there. But again there wasent a lot of water---hence the wreck still visible looking westwards.  Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:42 pm »
A very good point Mike.
Steamships regularly plied their trade between Llandudno Pier and Liverpool, IOM and other places.... and even Rhyl Pier, (yes there was a pier at Rhyl) was designed to accommodate passenger vessels at all states of the tide.

But Colwyn Bay Pier was always a promenading Pier, a walkway out to sea, and a palace for entertainment.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see it restored, because I would.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline viv

« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2013, 11:49:40 pm »
Hi Linda,

I have heard a rumour about the kiosks and feel the same way about the shabby way the traders are being treated. They are not getting any support from the local council who seem to do what they want without any thought to the wishes of the people who actually support the local businesses. It would seem that the pier is thier priority now that the new 'place'is nearly ready. The pier has reached its sell buy date councillors, it had a purpose when the boats called from Liverpool and Llandudno, it had a purpose when there were Banquets and Balls and when entertainment venues where frequently visited but now, no boats, no banquets, no bands only a rusting relic that will swallow a huge amount of money which in the time of recession we can ill afford, for what purpose?  The little kiosks are little oasis on a very long and boring promenade where locals and visitors alike, park up, enjoy the seaside and can have a cup of tea. We must not let the council close them without putting new ones in their stead,  and the current operators should be allowed to carry on, they have been doing a grand job for years and deserve some respect from the people who constantly call for more vistitor attractions.

I agree 100%. Everyday I look out of my front room window across the Bay, and hope that it will have gone! Unfortunately even the recent strong winds haven't beaten it!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:09:19 am by Ian »

Offline viv

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2013, 11:56:07 pm »
I agree 100%. Everyday I look out of my front room window across the Bay, and hope that it will have gone! Unfortunately even the recent strong winds haven't beaten it!

I know that it will cost the Council a lot to demolish it, but at least that will be a one off payment, and then it will all be over and done with, rather than costing us a fortune for years to come.

Offline Linda

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2013, 12:09:22 am »
I have to agree,that although i would like to see the pier restored. I fear anything they put in there retail etc may not be sustainable
during the winter months, iv seen it all before , having had a friend with her very nice little shop on there,nobody wanted to walk down to the pier in the winter so she couldn't keep going.  I also feel the same about the facilities at the waterfront ,and the hidden areas may land up just being a meeting place for drug users etc after dark.
I hope this wont happen of course but having lived locally for many many years and seen a lot,makes me a little sceptical.
The Little Kiosks have survived throughout the years a number of them also open at the weekend out of season and with hot drinks etc affordable to most and a most welcome little haven and i feel also they have been let down badly.

Offline Linda

« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2013, 11:48:55 pm »
That sounds good, hope the weather is too. Ill get my bucket and spade and grandchildren ready. Ill need disabled parking for my husband does anyone know if there is any on the Waterfront development ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:53 am »
There will be some disabled spaces right by the front entrance to the building.

Offline Linda

« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »
Hi Dave,
have you heard anything from CCBC over the Cayley Kiosks yet. Just wondering who to contact there, other than Phil Edwards Councillor for Rhos.  :)
Not heard back yet. The auto reply said 10 working days, so still time.
[Hi Dave have you heard anything from the CCBC over the Cayley Kiosks yet. I havent heard from my (other councillor) and so I dont know whats happening. I  havent been local this week as my daughter is having a baby, so busy but dont want to let interest diminish on these little Kiosks at the Cayley as there is nothing to replace them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:16:17 pm by Ian »

Offline Linda

« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »
I Just want to add quickly, that there are petitions at the Kiosks to sign. Please please support these small businesses that offer so much to the passing folk. The people of Rhos etc and visitors dont want to have to travel around the bay all the time to one venue on the waterfront, that will be probably very busy. We want our Kiosks left alone or rebuilt. Not a lot to ask .

Offline Linda

« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:22 pm »
I Just want to add quickly, that there are petitions at the Kiosks to sign. Please please support these small businesses that offer so much to the passing folk. The people of Rhos etc and visitors don't want to have to travel around the bay all the time to one venue on the waterfront, that will be probably very busy. We want our Kiosks left alone or rebuilt. Not a lot to ask .
I have some very good news, the Cayley Prom Kiosks that were due to close in March after they were given notice to quit by the Council, have been given a reprieve for the time being(I presume until work begins of sea defence there). The leaseholder i spoke to today was so happy. It seems a little support and work from local Councillor Phil Edwards has paid off HURRAY!A huge amount of folk signed the petition ,so thanks for that.

Linda: I've edited your post to make the quotes work properly. The main problem is that you're using the 'Quote' button on the post you want to quote from, but this has a habit of not working properly, as well as quoting everything in the original post, which tends to muddy the flow in the topic.  There's a much better way described in our FAQs (just after 'home' in the menu bar - top RH side - click on "how to quote just part of someone's post")

HTH
Ian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:10:10 am by Ian »

Offline Linda

« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:47 am »
The Kiosks are to stay open for now Hurray! the closure notices withdrawn with help from Councillor Phil |Edwards and some public support . I am thrilled coffees icecream  buckets and spades and free parking safe for the time being. $bounce$

Offline viv

« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:55 am »
Great news that they will be staying - we will have to watch carefully in case the Council try it on again. Perhaps we should push for them to be listed buildings -after all they are on many old photos of the Bay, and still provide excellent service. They give the Bay its character and would be missed by everyone.