Author Topic: Re: Help wanted: Computers PHONE CALLS FROM "MICROSOFT"  (Read 4485 times)

Offline martin

Re: Help wanted: Computers PHONE CALLS FROM "MICROSOFT"
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »
PHONE SCAM  - A phone call from a friend tonight in which he told me of a scam call he had today said to be from Microsoft reminded me of a similar one I had this summer.  A person calls from outside the UK and says he is from Microsoft, he will address you by you name so you assume he must be from that company.  He explains that your computer has sent many error messages to the Microsoft servers showing there is a problem with your actual computer, he continues to engage you in conversation and as both me and my friend said, he really does sound as if he is a legitimate employee of Microsoft, after all, how else would he know your name?  Then, when he thinks he has got you hooked, he says that your computer is fully of viruses that need removing, and that there are so many problems with your computer that it is sending vast numbers of error reports to the Microsoft main computer every day, he needs to have a look inside your computer and asks you to key in a code that appears on your screen, DO NOT DO THIS, if you do he will have access to everything on your computer.  As far as I have been able to find out these people are operating on a large scale attempting to get access to UK computers, it appears they are trying ti sell some sort of virus removal software at a vastly inflated price.  If you have any friends or family who have computers please make them aware of this scam, as both myself and my friend have found, these people are very convincing.

Offline 1_rob_1

Computer Security
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:46:23 pm »
I just thought it would be useful to post this, cos it is a problem which is becoming more & more widespread & people are still falling for it.
I am an IT Technician & are confronted with this problem on a daily basis.
If you get a phonecall from  ANYONE - even Microsoft, saying that your pc is infected with a virus. IGNORE IT.
They will charge you to remove malware that doesnt exist, & will probably corrupt your pc.

Anyone that KNOWS whether or not your pc is infected with anything is hacking your pc, which is illegal. (which Microsoft will never do).

Also, if you get any popups, saying that your pc is infected with any number of "iffy" files.    -  & it is not a warning from the antivirus/antispyware program you have installed on your pc. Ignore & close it, because it will infect your pc!!!

Remember which anti-virus program you have installed on your pc , & ignore any other.

DONT FALL FOR THESE SCAMS!!
BE WARNED !!!!!!!!!

Offline IanR

Re: Computer Security
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:29 am »
Thanks for the "heads up"  Is it right that you can only get a virus by opening an attatchnent or will simply opening an e-mail do it?

Ian

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: Computer Security
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:39:13 am »
This relates to E-mails only.

It depends on your security settings/email client. Some older ones will open the attachment automatically - if so, hopefully your anti-virus will catch it.
Newer email clients will ask you whether to open attachments or not, If you don't know or trust the sender, then don't open the attachment & you will be ok.
This also relates to social networking sites like Facebook - be cautious of pics & links.

In summary, yes  you can only get a virus by opening an attachment,  if your email client doesn't automatically open it. Or by clicking on a bad link in an email.

If in doubt - Delete the email, & reply to the sender & ask them to send the email again.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:38:46 am »
Why not just get a Mac and avoid all these crappy Microsoft related security problems?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:01 am »
If you ain't got a Mac, it doesn't matter.

Get Microsoft Security Essentials it washes all things Microsoft, and then you only get problems with Apple software such as Safari and I-Tunes etc.!    :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »
Macs are very expensive toys, unless you need to use intense imaging programs on them.
Some of the "live" linux operating systems are now very good & lightning fast, & are immune to viruses/spyware.
I run Puppy Linux on my very old laptop which I use for general browsing & emailing. It is booted from a cd, so it is not actually installed on the pc (Windows runs too slow on this old system).
The boot time is approx 30 seconds, & it does not interfere with the windows installation at all because it loads & runs directly from the computers memory - not the hard drive.
If anyone wants to try it, or learn more about it, this is the link:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
 Another good thing about it is - - - - - - - IT IS FREE!!!!  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »
If you call a computer that works properly without any fuss or crashes a 'toy', then, yes, it is a toy. I'd used PCs for many years until I got a Mac and have to say the difference is night and day, I'd never go back to a PC now

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:25:51 pm »
In the house, I have 2 PC's, 2 Laptops (one is the Wife's), a notebook, an iPad and an Android phone and (touch wood) I never get a problem with any of them, apart from when the server is down!   My Son swears by his Mac, but now tends to use his iPad for almost everything of a day to day nature.   His travelling companion almost!    His PC isnow only used to administer a national car club, an International Forum and store large data files.

Each to his own is the answer.   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »
I have nothing against macs - they are solid built & reliable. I refer to them as expensive toys if they are not used to their full potential.
Most people buy Windows computers because macs cost around 3x as much.

Windows is unreliable & prone to viruses/spyware mainly because it is built using the ntfs platform.
Most technicians were disappointed that windows7 was built on this same platform & not on an ext (or similar) platform, which would then have made it as good/reliable as a mac.

Linux is free & can make a cheap computer designed for windows, run faster than & as stable & secure as a mac.

These are the main choices & people choose computers to suit their lifestyle. so as Yorkie says:  "Each to his own is the answer."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »
Most people buy Windows computers because macs cost around 3x as much

That's actually not true.  Spec for spec, they compare well, other than the increased reliability of a Mac.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.