Author Topic: Veterans UK  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Veterans UK
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »
I have often aired my views on the disgraceful treatment of UK Veterans and I'm about to have another rant now.............
The Queens Jubilee Medal will be presented to Police, Fire fighters and all hospital staff including cleaners.  However the only Veterans to receive the medal are those who's service has spanned the last five years including the 6th Feb 2012.  All other ex service men and women who have fought for their/our country will not get one.  Is it me.....I think that's disgraceful.  How on earth can the MOD justify a that a hospital cleaner can take presidence over ex service personnel....They toured Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Falklands and various other war torn parts of the world.....I just don't understand. 
Soldiers can only receive a medal for tours in Afghanistan if they have served more than 30 days.  It's not right is it?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Veterans UK
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
It's totally wrong the way our heros are treated, not fair at all!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »
I would agree Pendragon with the award of Jubilee medals.

In previous times Coronation and Jubilee medals were awarded to people who had given service meriting some recognition.  I recall people I knew in 1977 getting them because they had done 25 years voluntary service. Some folk like members of the Royal Family  and holders of the VC and GC also get them.

Blair decided that all service people (including interestingly Sea Cadet officers) should get them, this included police and fire personnel.  In doing so, the powers that be removed all the voluntary workers (St John, Red Cross,WRVS etc) who had traditionally been nominated.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:44:14 pm »
Thanks cambrian,  I think it's about time a rally group was put together to improve public awareness on the shoddy reception our soldiers get from MOD.  It annoys me that the government are not only cutting the forces numbers and shedding whole battalions but now they've got the cheek to advertise on Tv for 30,000 new recruits to the bloody TAs..so they're supposed to fight in their spare time for naff all  :o 

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
It seems the government have now done a u turn well kind of, they have now decided that veterans can get the Jubilee medal but only if they pay £3 for it and another £1 for postage........laughable isn't it  :roll: