Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319824 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2016, 04:56:03 pm »
Had you become disillusioned by Blair's centrist policies?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
It's certainly a coincidence.  :o But I know for a fact that was the sole reason for myself and everyone I know in joining or in my case rejoining the Labour party.
If Corbyn is pushed out, God forbid. It will be the reason we all leave en masse and the membership will drop to an all time low and then the party REALLY will be finished.

Are you being serious?         If Jeremy Corbyn owned a brewery he would be bankrupt in no time at all.      The days of the loony left have long gone and only time will tell who is delusional. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »
That may be true, Hugo, but across the world democratic nations are swinging to the extremes. Look at the US.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2016, 09:40:18 pm »
Really glad I'm not young Ian, the good years are truly behind us.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2016, 08:08:08 am »
I think I tend to agree. I can't remember a time when the world as a whole has been in such turmoil.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
Mrs May has come in at a time when the Parliamentary Labour Party is in complete disarray, with their idiot leader unmoved by a vote of 172-40 of no confidence in him, yet he still thinks he can run a robust parliamentary opposition to the Tories. So, Mrs May produces a cabinet of right-wing tendencies not seen since Mrs Thatcher, (Hunt still in post for God's sake and Johnson as Foreign Secretary.... you couldn't make it up...) and the Labour party with it's efficient, loved and admired leader is too busy ripping itself apart to react.

But to some people, Jeremy Corbyn is still a godlike figure who can do no wrong......

Thanks to beloved Jeremy, you will now have a right-wing Tory government for a decade.

Well done JC. You have achieved something.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2016, 04:58:01 pm »
I heard today from an extremely reliable source that the appointment of Boris Johnson was a total mistake. Theresa May had made a list of cabinet positions and against Boris Johnson's name had written 'F Off'.

A Civil Servant then announced to the press that he had been appointed to the Foreign Office and it was too late to change it.........
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2016, 05:16:09 pm »
I heard today from an extremely reliable source that the appointment of Boris Johnson was a total mistake. Theresa May had made a list of cabinet positions and against Boris Johnson's name had written 'F Off'.
A Civil Servant then announced to the press that he had been appointed to the Foreign Office and it was too late to change it.........
That explains a lot........... $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2016, 05:05:34 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/22/intelligence-services-using-dark-practices-against-jeremy-corbyn

No it wasn't. It was those little green men who live at the bottom of the garden.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #594 on: August 07, 2016, 06:23:22 pm »
Dark practices?     Jeremy Corbyn has done more damage to the Labour Party than anyone else.  He's voted against Labour more times than David Cameron ever did.
Now that he's the Leader of the Labour Party is he still going to vote against any of their policies?
Anything is possible with the new loony left of the Party I suppose.       ???

Can anyone seriously say:-
a)   He would make a good PM
B)   He would make a good world leader
c)   The UK  would be safe in his hands

Offline Hugo

« Reply #595 on: August 28, 2016, 02:57:25 pm »
Mr McDonnell told the Sunday Mirror Sir Richard wanted to "undermine" democracy, after a row over Jeremy Corbyn's journey on a Virgin train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37170439

I thought democracy was about free speech

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #596 on: August 31, 2016, 09:26:07 am »
Mr McDonnell told the Sunday Mirror Sir Richard wanted to "undermine" democracy, after a row over Jeremy Corbyn's journey on a Virgin train.

There is free speech and then there is deliberately smearing someone in order to whip up publicity for your business.
Which do you think this was?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #598 on: August 31, 2016, 11:09:16 am »

There is free speech and then there is deliberately smearing someone in order to whip up publicity for your business.

Actually, it was Corbyn's team which released their video to whip up publicity for their proposal to re-nationalise the railways. The fact that is that the video slandered Virgin Trains and Virgin, quite reasonably, retaliated. 'TrainGate' has proved an 'own goal' for the Corbyn team. As for breaking Virgin Trains breaking rules by releasing it, they are their own rules, not any legislation, so they are quite entitled to do so.

(P.S. Good to see you back B2R, we've been missing your posts....!)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2016, 11:26:00 am »

Actually, it was Corbyn's team which released their video to whip up publicity for their proposal to re-nationalise the railways. The fact that is that the video slandered Virgin Trains and Virgin, quite reasonably, retaliated. 'TrainGate' has proved an 'own goal' for the Corbyn team. As for breaking Virgin Trains breaking rules by releasing it, they are their own rules, not any legislation, so they are quite entitled to do so.

(P.S. Good to see you back B2R, we've been missing your posts....!)

Been on holiday - few days back at work and then I'm off again this weekend! Good to be back though.
I don't think it's unfair for a politician to back up his cause I don't think it has been an own goal at all

"http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/28/traingate-prompts-virgin-passengers-to-tweet-their-horrific-journeys-and-create-an-epic-pr-fail-for-richard-branson/"

Virgin should have kept quiet and accepted the fact they are anything but near perfect.