Author Topic: National politics  (Read 320079 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #525 on: March 16, 2016, 05:03:00 pm »
Elective surgery has long waiting lists everywhere, though; emergency treatment, however, seems pretty good.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:00 am »
I'm sorry to hear of your experience with the Welsh version of the NHS, it must be really frustrating as well as annoying to you.   I hope that everything goes well for you from now onwards.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Elective surgery has long waiting lists everywhere, though; emergency treatment, however, seems pretty good.

Your so right Ian, the problem is with the wording, NHS Wales calls it Elective Surgery, where as I call it Remedial Surgery, needed to put right a major problem that was caused but not acknolaged by the origonal Emergency sugery.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #528 on: March 19, 2016, 11:53:36 am »
Stephen Crabb replaces Iain Duncan Smith

Alun Cairns is replacing Mr Crabb as secretary of state for Wales.
Guto Bebb becomes under secretary of state at the Wales office, replacing Mr Cairns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35850932

Offline SteveH

« Reply #529 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »
The full detail of Plaid's pledge to cut council tax bills for most homes in Wales

In a speech at Cardiff Metropolitan University , the party’s Finance and Treasury spokesman Adam Price said the “grossly unfair” council tax system needed to be reformed, with savings of up to £400 for homes on the lowest bands.

But anyone living in a home in council tax bands E to I would have to pay up around a third more to fund the pledge - up to £600 a year for someone in a Band E house and £1,000 a year for someone in a top-band home.

198,000 households in Band A would see their liability halved, saving £400 per house,
A further 287,000 homes in Band B would save £360
Some 295,000 homes in Band C would save £160
Mr Price said "the households in the very highest bands will pay more, around a third more, phased in over a number of years".
That would mean homes in bands E to I paying around 33% more.

More details.                        http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/full-detail-plaids-pledge-cut-11084937

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: March 23, 2016, 04:37:30 pm »
I always thought that people used public services, not houses? Its a great way to encourage anyone with any money to leave Wales.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #531 on: March 23, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »
I always thought that people used public services, not houses? Its a great way to encourage anyone with any money to leave Wales.
I wouldn't have it on my mind, they'll never get into power.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2016, 12:19:13 pm »
The new Secretary of State for Wales has set out his top priorities as he takes his seat.

Writing in The Sunday Times, Alun Cairns put business at the heart of his office and emphasised how important North Wales is to building Wales into a prosperous, stable economy.

The Vale of Glamorgan MP admitted that the first thing he did on becoming Secretary of State was to ask his officials to arrange a meeting in North Wales for this week with business leaders and representatives from local authorities and higher education to kick-start discussions for a growth deal.

“My North Wales-born No 2 Guto Bebb is a natural champion for the region and he will in addition ensure that North Wales gets the best from being part of the northern powerhouse, that economic unit which now stretches from North Wales to Newcastle,” he added.
“I want to see the same spirit of co-operation and focus for North Wales that we saw in Cardiff.    &shake&

MORE....  http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/i-knew-straight-away-wanted-11100452

Offline Hugo

« Reply #533 on: April 15, 2016, 07:14:00 am »
The EU Big Five launch tax crackdown

In principle it is an excellent idea and if "we're all in it together" then it should lead to a fairer society and everyone would pay the correct amount of tax according to their earnings.
I understand that Dodgy Dave and even dodgier George have revealed what purports to be the only income made available to them but there are so many loopholes open to the wealthy to use, that they can hide behind them and no one knows any difference.
Will they close these loopholes? only time will tell but as a company George Osborne is associated with is alleged to have avoided paying £2M in tax by using these loopholes then it seems unlikely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36049817

Offline Hugo

« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »
I received two letters this morning, one was from the Rt Hon David Cameron MP  on behalf of the Welsh Conservative Campaign Headquarters.

The other was from the NHS on behalf of the Bowel Screening Wales

Both talking on the same topic but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I do wish the Conservatives would use a softer type of paper so it could at least be recycled.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #535 on: April 24, 2016, 02:15:21 pm »
Wonderful......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2016, 09:26:57 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn has told Argentinian diplomats he wants a Northern Ireland-style power-sharing deal for the Falkland Islands, according to reports.

Argentina’s outgoing ambassador to London, Alicia Castro, said the Labour leader “shares our concerns” and “he is one of ours”.

I wonder what his views are on Gibraltar?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: May 06, 2016, 09:36:23 am »
At the the of posting it looks as though UKIP will have gained 6 seats.  The loss of Leighton Andrews' seat was well deserved: Labour can't afford to have liabilities such as him on board as they're struggling as it is with JC's 'leadership'. But it looks like it's almost a re-run of the Labour - PC coalition for the next few years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #539 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:49 pm »
Struggling in Scotland maybe, not a bad night at all everywhere else. Especially giving the press bashing and anti-Semitism rubbish they've been faced with

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/elections-2016-labour-wins-key-southern-england-councils-in-boost-for-jeremy-corbyn-a7016121.html

$good$