Author Topic: National politics  (Read 320178 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:42 pm »
You are spot on with what you have said Bosun but this situation between the north and south has been going on for years, in Wales since devolution has come in there is a definite division between the north and the south.
Politics is a hot topic but everyone is entitled to their opinion and what is right for one voter may not be right for another.   The present Tory government is one of the worst Tory governments to come into power and that is saying a lot.     How on earth they won the General Election is beyond my comprehension but that is democracy for you!
As for Jeremy Corbyn, he became leader of the Labour Party by a massive majority so we have to accept that,   But a potential PM or a leader in the world of politics he most certainly isn't.
A good MP,  like Michael Foot was, but extremely unlikely to lead Labour to win the next General Election.     The latest reshuffle in the party has turned into a farce and sadly it's making the Labour Party look stupid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35239232

Obama was "extremely unlikely" to be elected president...and he was.

Politics is changing

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:59 pm »
Getting elected is one hurdle, doing something positive when you've been elected is something different.

At the moment I would say that Jeremy Corbyn is the Conservative Party's greatest asset to winning the next election.   

I just hope that I am proved wrong

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2016, 04:20:23 pm »
If David Milliband had won the election as leader of the Labour Party instead of his half-witted brother who won with the backing of the unions, we may well, probably, in fact, have had a Labour government at the last election.

Whilst possibly principled and well meaning, JC has the all attributes of a future prime minister as a brussel sprout. It's extremely doubtful if he can hold the Labour Party together, let alone fight Britain's corner on the world stage.

PS    Er, don't mean to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Politics are changing...?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:18 pm »
Obama was "extremely unlikely" to be elected president...and he was.

Politics is changing

But don't know in what direction. Last time I looked a couple of weeks back it seemed a lot of Americans want Trump.

In terms of recent UK politics, I have been voting Lib Dem.  Yes I feel they let us down but when you consider I live in a constituency that would be them or tories and that Norman Lamb seems to be an MP with an interest in the area he represents (I shouldn't feel that being so rare, should I?), I feel it my best option.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #484 on: January 06, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »
If David Milliband had won the election as leader of the Labour Party instead of his half-witted brother who won with the backing of the unions, we may well, probably, in fact, have had a Labour government at the last election.

Whilst possibly principled and well meaning, JC has the all attributes of a future prime minister as a brussel sprout. It's extremely doubtful if he can hold the Labour Party together, let alone fight Britain's corner on the world stage.

PS    Er, don't mean to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Politics are changing...?

If it's good enough for the Guardian it's good enough for the TTF

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/25/natalie-bennett-green-party-conference

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #485 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:58 pm »
As Natalie Bennett is only famous for having possibly the biggest brain fart in the history of electioneering interviews, I would not depend on her for correct English usage.

If people actually voted on a local level (as squiggle has done) for the best person to represent them as an MP rather than on the choice of a party and the party leaders tie/wife/hair style etc then we might have a more rational political system, but, the great British public......  In some areas, Basil Brush could stand and as long as he stood for the right party, he would be voted in.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #486 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »
Er, don't mean to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Politics are changing...?

No. It's Politics They Are A  Changin'

(Or was it Times... I'm not a Dylan fan but hope this reference will be excused)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2016, 12:06:20 pm »
Er, don't mean to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Politics are changing...?

No. It's Politics They Are A  Changin'

(Or was it Times... I'm not a Dylan fan but hope this reference will be excused)

It is indeed the Times. I think he was referring to their internet subscription service :laugh:

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2016, 12:14:24 pm »
Google agreed last week to pay £130m in back tax to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), with an official saying that that was the "full tax due in law",

Isn't it time then that the tax laws were changed so that " We're all in it together"  like the Cons have said before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35416812

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: February 11, 2016, 08:33:18 am »
Guto Bebb relegates to the uninformed those who raise questions regarding the TTIP - a highly secretive deal being conducted between Eurocrats and the US. He sees nothing unusual about the deal, but I suspect it is he who is uninformed, as one expose after another emerges. This last one is very interesting:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/10/surreal_world_of_the_ttip/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2016, 11:29:54 pm »
Guto Bebb relegates to the uninformed those who raise questions regarding the TTIP - a highly secretive deal being conducted between Eurocrats and the US. He sees nothing unusual about the deal, but I suspect it is he who is uninformed, as one expose after another emerges. This last one is very interesting:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/10/surreal_world_of_the_ttip/

You've referred to this before Ian, it seemed to be a big deal...what's it all about? (in summary) ... and should we be concerned unduly?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: February 12, 2016, 07:37:53 am »
There's a good article about it all here:

http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2015/feb/18/guardian-live-what-is-ttip-and-how-does-it-affect-us

but essentially those favouring the deal (the wealthy, big companies, those who don't like environmental protections) argue that it's simply a trade deal to make it easier for Europe to trade with the US. They also argue, as does G Bebb, that it's no different to the many other trade deals done across the world.

Those opposing the deal do so on several grounds: because it's a mighty complex deal one of the factors needed to make it work is standardisation between US regulations and EU regulations, and if you look at some US regulations you'll see they're very different to ours in some important ways, one of which is food safety. Another is big pharma.

Another worry is that the US is home to the totally capitalist system, which is fine as far as it goes. But for us to complete the deal the concern is that we'd have to accede to the same degree of regulatory freedoms, and that could lead to some very undesirable effect.  The one most frequently quoted is that without significant safeguards, US companies would be able to take over the NHS. Mr Bebb not only thinks this is mindless scaremongering, but all the deal has been done in the open.  That, however, doesn't appear to be the experience of the German MP, Katja Kipping, who was only allowed to review the detailed documents, running to more than 300 pages, for 2 hours, in a locked room having had to surrender her mobile 'phone, any cameras and her jacket and bag before being allowed to see the text.

So, the big question remains: if the deal is as wonderful as Mr Bebb and others like him seem to believe, why has almost all of it been done in secrecy (it's been going on for more than two years, now - heard anything?) and why is it still so incredibly difficult to discover the details of what's happening?

As to the effects it could have on us as individuals, the big problem is that no one can say for sure what those effects will be. However, at the moment anything sold in Europe has to comply with strict safety regulations, and we have up to six years warranty on expensive goods (which many don't realise). The US standard warranty is six months, and sometimes a whole year.

Finally, and perhaps most worryingly, there is the little issue of ISDS.  ISDS stands for ‘investor-state dispute settlement’. This is a key issue with the TTIP proposal: ISDS allows businesses to take legal action against governments if they act in ways that infringe the trade agreement. This means businesses will have more of a say in public policies and may even sue if one country does something to impact profits - like increasing the minimum wage or freezing energy prices during a financial crisis.

An ISDS provision in Australia’s investment treaty with Hong Kong allowed tobacco giant Philip Morris to sue the Australia government for compensation of lost profits because of Australia’s plain packaging laws. Philip Morris was able to do this through its Hong Kong subsidiary, because of the ISDS provision in the trade treaty.

ISDS tribunals allow businesses to claim compensation not just on lost profits, but on potential loss of profits in the future. Currently, decisions made in one court can be challenged and taken to another; with ISDS, there is one court and one decision – and that can’t be challenged.

So, take your choice: greater trade freedoms with the US, the opportunity for a few to become very much richer, or loss of consumer protection, possible privatisation of the NHS or the government being sued if they try to stop it and - above all - extremely secretive negotiations.  Sound good?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:10 am »
If Bebb thinks there no differences to other trade deals he's living on another planet. The Tory government knows it will help with things like selling off the NHS and privatizing public service. I wonder if it will happen as the Germans and the French are not as keen as our government. The thing that really bad about it is it's being done in secret. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: February 12, 2016, 09:36:33 am »
Another good reason not to let the EU interfere in our business...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #494 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »
Thanks Ian, I'll peruse the document to find out even more
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -