Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319933 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #375 on: September 14, 2015, 03:35:41 pm »
I have to ask - how on earth can someone who defied their own party leadership over 500 times expect the party to now follow him?

My own opinion is that if David Milliband had been elected leader, we would now have a Labour goverment.  Instead, we have a right wing government without a credible opposition.

Out of interest, I was sent a voting form for the Labour leadership election. I chose not to return it as I do not support the Labour Party.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2015, 03:48:33 pm »
Nice to know that we now have a Shadow Chancellor who has said that IRA terrorists should be honoured.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »
I have to ask - how on earth can someone who defied their own party leadership over 500 times expect the party to now follow him?

My own opinion is that if David Milliband had been elected leader, we would now have a Labour goverment.  Instead, we have a right wing government without a credible opposition.

Out of interest, I was sent a voting form for the Labour leadership election. I chose not to return it as I do not support the Labour Party.

With a massive landslide of members voting for him, how can they not follow him? His way is clearly the Labour parties way. It isn't your way as you do not support the party so your view is irrelevant to the direction the party follows.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #378 on: September 14, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »

With a massive landslide of members voting for him, how can they not follow him? His way is clearly the Labour parties way. It isn't your way as you do not support the party so your view is irrelevant to the direction the party follows.

Actually, my view is entirely relevant. I may not support the Labour Party, but I do support fairness and social equality, but not the politics of envy and spite. Nor do I support the Conservative Party, but I do have a completely relevant view on their policies and the way they govern the country. I want a strong and viable opposition for a proper democratic process; to see the Labour Party in complete meltdown does not support democracy.

Please don't suggest that my, or any other concerned persons view, is irrelevant.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #379 on: September 14, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
I said your view is not relevant to the way the party is run. If you want a say in how the party is run you need to become a member

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #380 on: September 14, 2015, 05:46:46 pm »
I said your view is not relevant to the way the party is run. If you want a say in how the party is run you need to become a member

Born2run, you really do know how to win friends and influence people don't you......

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #381 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:06 pm »
Now now! Everyone is entitled to their views. Politics and Religion are dangerous topics.
I might add that I wince at some of the comments I read  on this site (immigrants etc)
but I don't get personal about it. Perhaps I should confine my viewing to less
controversial aspects  from now on!
Maybe I should stop looking but what would that gain?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #382 on: September 15, 2015, 08:53:33 am »
Now now! Everyone is entitled to their views. Politics and Religion are dangerous topics.
I might add that I wince at some of the comments I read  on this site (immigrants etc)
but I don't get personal about it. Perhaps I should confine my viewing to less
controversial aspects  from now on!
Maybe I should stop looking but what would that gain?

Don't wince, comment! Tell them what you think.   $walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: September 15, 2015, 08:55:56 am »
Tell them what you think.   $walesflag$
That's the whole point of the Forum!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: September 15, 2015, 08:58:06 am »
I see in a trivia article that Jeremy Corbyn likes taking photos of manhole covers. I'm beginning to warm to the guy!!

"Mr Corbyn, for example, takes pictures of manhole covers because apparently there are interesting differentiations in them. "My mother always said there's history in drain covers. I take pictures of them. People think it's a little odd, but there we are," he said. "

Here's one of mine, taken in Castle Street, Beaumaris.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2015, 10:37:33 am »
What I'm finding interesting is Corbyn's stance on the EU. He's obviously not keen on it and has refused to rule out campaigning for a UK Withdrawal in a Referendum.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #386 on: September 16, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »

Sorry for not replying earlier, I'm abroad at the moment enjoying some sun.

However, my question, to which I would still would like an answer, is how can Jeremy Corbyn expect the party to follow him when he has refused to conform to leadership direction some 500 times?

(And, for clarity and the avoidance of doubt, may I stress that that this question does not involve any criticism of the way the Labour party is run, or any suggestion of mine to change the Labour system.....)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #387 on: September 16, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »
No leader should ever expect all his MPs to follow blindly. That is dictatorship not democracy. Jeremy will open up discussions and allow everyone a say in how the party goes forward.
He has already stated that he won't be pushing through some of his own personal agendas - such as abolishing the monarchy.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: September 16, 2015, 04:59:59 pm »
But his previous voting record will make it  nearly impossible to deal with dissenting backbenchers. JC might well open discussions but by their very nature MPs are somewhat opinionated and likely to be more so in his case, since hardly any of them voted for him.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #389 on: September 16, 2015, 08:08:52 pm »
It seems my last comments about a previous  peevish response was not acceptable ?
Perhaps you all know each other and that may make my comments worthless as it is perhaps friendly? banter.

The almost universal condemnation of JC by the media seems to creep in here too. For heavens sake
give the chap a chance. I watched him perform in pmq against Cameron with many years experience of putting down anyone with an opinion. For a first attempt he did quite well. At least he attempted to try to move away from the fiasco that normally happens by asking questions the public wants to have answers too.

One final point, I find these emoticons serve no purpose whatsoever !