Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319972 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:56 am »

"One Nation"   that's just rubbish when the party just looks after its own.   It'll be very interesting to see next year's New Years honours list as I expect that the Cons financial backers will be prominently featured in the list because of the Cons unexpected victory in the General Election

No surprises here then, even Douglas Hogg managed to get his snout in the trough.       &shake&

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/david-cameron-announces-26-new-tory-peers-11364000378674#.VeAiFXtJvh0.email

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2015, 02:13:50 pm »
If Jeremy Corbyn does get voted in it'll be a backward step for the Labour Party, but that's democracy for you.

Look what democracy and the voting system has done for the UK.   It's left us with the Tory Party in total power with  arguably the most ineffective and impotent bunch of nodding Donkeys  representing us.

The UK is exempt from taking in any of these illegal migrants that are coming to Europe from Asia and Africa, that package has already been confirmed but what will Cameron do?
Only time will tell, will it be another U turn?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: August 30, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »
Look what democracy and the voting system has done for the UK.

It's more the voting system. We badly need some form of PR.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn had an overwhelming victory in the election for the Labour leadership.

Obviously a good MP for Islington but a future Prime Minister?      &shake&

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34233537

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn had an overwhelming victory in the election for the Labour leadership.

And Cameron and Osbourne have opened a bottle of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »

Obviously a good MP for Islington but a future Prime Minister?      &shake&

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34233537
Has he ever had a real job in his life outside of the Westminster bubble? Hes as out of touch as any tory toff.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: September 13, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »
Depends on how you define a 'real job'. He was a full time union organiser / administrator and also did two years with VSO. But I agree he's out of touch.   Time will tell, of course, but the first test could possibly come if Cameron asks Parliament to broaden the front on ISIS. He would probably tell Labour MPs to vote against that but his own behaviour over the years means he has no moral authority at all to instruct party members on how they should vote.

We live in interesting times...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
It's going to be a complete trainwreck and will be fascinating to watch.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:23 am »

And Cameron and Osbourne have opened a bottle of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild.

https://twitter.com/david_cameron/status/642984909980725248

I don't think so. In fact I think they are very frightened that they actually have someone with some backbone facing them now. Hence the ludicrous tweet  :laugh:
Time will tell, time will tell.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #370 on: September 14, 2015, 09:39:43 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-win-conservative-party-warning-that-new-labour-leader-is-threat-to-national-security-mocked-on-twitter-10499317.html

he Conservative Party is facing ridicule after it responded to Jeremy Corbyn’s landslide Labour leadership victory by warning that he is a “threat to national security”.

Mr Corbyn gained 59.5 per cent of votes in the election, leaving his rivals Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall in the dust with 19 per, 17 per cent and 4.5 per cent respectively.

As part of what appeared to be a co-ordinated response to the left-winger’s win, David Cameron lead his party in warning the public of the apparent risk that Mr Corbyn posed to the nation.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2015, 09:51:49 am »
It was funny, really, since under the Tories we now have the smallest army since Cromwell...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: September 14, 2015, 10:47:48 am »

I don't think so. In fact I think they are very frightened that they actually have someone with some backbone facing them now. Hence the ludicrous tweet  :laugh:
I doubt very much that they feel anything other than ecstatic at the news. Listening to the ranks of his own MPs expressing their lack of confidence in him must have been music to their ears.

My own prediction is that Corbyn will lead Labour to its worst election performance since Michael Foot was Leader.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:26 am »
The more they can tie him to Islamic-based Terrorism the better for them, and I suspect they'll find that easy.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:03 am »

I doubt very much that they feel anything other than ecstatic at the news. Listening to the ranks of his own MPs expressing their lack of confidence in him must have been music to their ears.

My own prediction is that Corbyn will lead Labour to its worst election performance since Michael Foot was Leader.

So exactly the same as Milliband did then.