Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319934 times)

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
Re: National politics
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48:24 pm »
Local Lad, David Jones has been appointed Secretary of State for Wales.

Congratulations to him!

Congratulations to David, I wish him well in his challenge.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »
Last time I was in The Netherlands was when our cruise ship called into Umuiden to pick up passengers.   I normally meet many Hollanders on holiday in Portugal.  If I'm stuck I can revert to my schoolboy German or French or Portuguese.   As an alternative I can do what the British do - if they look as though they don't understand - speak LOUDER! _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ludo

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2012, 09:14:43 pm »
- if they look as though they don't understand speak LOUDER! _))*

WORKS EVERY TIME!
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:28 am »
Looks as though things are getting worse in Belfast. What a daft decision the Council made about the Union Flag!    Surely as part of the United Kingdom they should fly the Union Jack every day nt just high days and holidays?    $uk $wales $eu
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:10 am »
I have made no secret of my dislike of modern day politicians, but despite that I have a keen interest in politics generally.
Indeed, BBC's Question Time is one of my favourite shows, and I enjoy the heated debate irrespective of who is on the receiving end.
I have no political affiliations, and to my shame, I have not in fact voted in the last 2 general elections.

So, that said, it has taken me a couple of days to get over the shock of what I heard uttered by the Leader of Plaid Cymru in their TV Polical Broadcast earlier this week.

She said, one of the main things we can do to cure the economic problems is for all of us to ''go out and spend a few extra pounds in the shops around us''.
The naivety of that statement beggars belief.
On her say so, shall we all go and buy things we don't need?  Which will no doubt end up in land-fill and cause us to miss an EU waste recycling target.
Where are these few extra pounds to come from?  As wages are static, yet inflation continues apace, does she believe that we all have disposable income to throw at things we otherwise would not have purchased?

Perhaps she should stand at the gates of QH in Mochdre and urge those poor sods to spend a bit of their derisory redundancy pay in Halfords?
It was such an ill thought out, and frankly insulting statement that I thought I had mis-heard her, but no!

I am a sole trader, shopkeeper if you like, and the words of this political numpty should have been music to my ears.
But no,  I have long since realised that you do not have a divine right to simply obtain money from customers. 
You must offer something that they want, or perhaps need... and you might just stand a chance of making a small living.
Whether I do or not is irrelevant, the principle is the same for cafes, hoteliers and any service provider.
People will not suddenly, on her say so,walk into any shop and buy something they do not need... who on this Forum would do something like that?

At a time of recession and low growth, it is human nature for us to squirrel away any money we have, and not squander it.
People are genuinely worried about where the next pay packet will come from,  the days of 'jobs for life' have long gone.
People are frightened about the future, and for their families and they are looking for some kind of leadership from our politicians.  They find nothing but empty words and loud bickering over the despatch box.

If that is the best that a leader of a national party can come up with, then it really is time for radical change.  &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:11 am »
Well written Fester. I am in full agreement with you.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
David Cameron comes back from Brussels with a big smile on his face, telling anyone who will listen what a good job he has done because he has reduced the EU’s budget down to €908bn. What he’s not telling you is that even though he has managed to negotiate a reduction in the euro budget our contribution is going up because our rebate has been cut. From the implementation of the new budget if ratified by the European Parliament it will cost the British Public €50m a day to stay in Euro Cuckoo Land. I for one want a Referendum now Mr Cameron because we all know what your promises of one sometime in the future are worth.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:53 am »
Political opinions vary and every one is entitled to their own view but there is a lot of hypocrisy  with Politicians.     Maggie Thatcher said once that it is inconceivable that anyone on benefits should receive more money than someone in work and I agree completely with her but unfortunately she did very little about sorting it out.
David Cameron on the other hand agrees with her views and has started a process by capping benefits so full marks to him for that.
Cameron has also spoken strongly on tax avoidance and lambasted Jimmy Carr for taking advantage of a legal loophole to avoid paying too much tax.   Will he close all the loopholes?     No chance when it will affect many of his own party and also the Party funding,
The Daily Mirror reported on Saturday that Margaret Thatcher's £6 million London home is owned by a mysterious company with links to 3 notorious tax havens.   Financial experts said that it was a scheme that would help her estate avoid millions of pounds of inheritance tax.
John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network said "  This does not pass the smell test and simply cannot be allowed to happen in 21st Britain"
If a former Prime Minister can do it then I'm sure that some of the Tory MP's are doing the same.    We'll find out in time.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
If a former Prime Minister can do it then I'm sure that some of the Tory MP's are doing the same.
\
Some?  _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 12:40:21 pm »
The Daily Mirror reported on Saturday that Margaret Thatcher's £6 million London home is owned by a mysterious company with links to 3 notorious tax havens.   Financial experts said that it was a scheme that would help her estate avoid millions of pounds of inheritance tax.

Maybe it is in a Trust Fund to pay for her Funeral!     :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »
Let's not forget all the Labour MPs caught fiddling their expenses too.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »
There's a difference between fiddling expenses, with their tiny, fiscally unimportant  amounts, and wilfully depriving the treasury of millions, don't you Agree?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
Theft is theft, regardless of the amount., Ian.  &shake&

Margaret Moran received £53,000 in bogus MP expenses, jury finds
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/nov/13/margaret-moran-bogus-mp-expenses

MP's expenses: Denis MacShane resigns over false invoices
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20178332

Expenses fraud Labour MP Jim Devine out of jail after four months
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/expenses-fraud-labour-mp-jim-devine-out-of-jail-after-four-months-2330266.html

Senior Labour MP Denis MacShane Resigns Over Expenses Fraud
http://richardwillisuk.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/senior-labour-mp-denis-macshane-resigns-over-expenses-scam/

...and on and on and on.....

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »
And it must all start somewhere?   Probably at a local level where it has been known for two individuals to travel to a meeting in one car but both claim expenses!  And then the situation just escalates as those concerned discover that they can claim more and more and still get away with it.

The so-called Independent Auditors are unable to detect many such amounts and very little goes challenged.  The total cost to the Country must amount to millions!   )*)&

And the never empty trough is there to feed even more of the greedy pigs!    $hands$
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:51 pm »
...and on and on and on.....

Well, I'll start posting the lists of tax evasion loopholes used by Tories, if you wish, but I'm one sure we have the bandwidth...

_))* _))*