Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139551 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
Time they went up onto the Orme ! Fag ends inches deep at the top of the concrete track.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

The company who employ them work purely on a rake off from the £75 FPN's they issue.  There is your incentive to issue as many as possible, when a word in the ear would possibly get more results.

They take £45.00 of the fine.......and they are taking the easy route, they are dog wardens also......responsible for dogs, not on leads or leads to long, dog fouling and litter, but the majority comes from smokers and questionable accidental drops...wind....seagulls....and now young girls.......the council might get some revenue, but at what cost.

$angry$ $angry$           Untill they are a visible deterrent, they are PEST'S             $angry$ $angry$

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:42:07 pm by Ian »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2014, 10:56:06 pm »
I could go on and on.... and I have said that I do not want litter,  but there MUST be a better way of policing it than this???

What would you suggest?

Ermmm, as I intimated in my original post,  I would suggest.
1, Proper Signage,  outlining the threat or penalty people may face for causing litter.
2, Proper Hi-vis or professional looking uniforms.
3, As others have  said.... employ a degree of common sense, or some transparent policy.

Norm... as you rightly say, the Pier Manager invited them on, basically to attack the dog-mess problem.
But I can tell you that he has not been fined by them at all.   One or two concessionaires have though!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2014, 08:32:11 am »
I seem to remember that they once had 'police-style' uniforms but had to change them after protests? And I do believe people are aware that dropping litter will attract a fine.  That's pretty well understood, F, and once you decide to have signs identifying punishable offences, where will it stop?

[smg id=3287]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51:33 am »

I remember the "police Style" uniform, and spoke to one of them, my impression, was of a retired gentleman, and not of a club bouncer,...so who protested?...
I think people are aware that they should'nt litter,and would be embarrassed, to be pulled up on it,but the old fine was £10 , enough to stop you doing it again, but not enough to think that you had just been robbed by two bandits, and not enough to make you think twice about visiting again.
It is definitley an obstacle to our tourism.                                                                     $angry$

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2014, 11:14:58 am »

I remember the "police Style" uniform, and spoke to one of them, my impression, was of a retired gentleman, and not of a club bouncer,...so who protested?...
I think people are aware that they should'nt litter,and would be embarrassed, to be pulled up on it,but the old fine was £10 , enough to stop you doing it again, but not enough to think that you had just been robbed by two bandits, and not enough to make you think twice about visiting again.
It is definitley an obstacle to our tourism.                                                                     $angry$

People trying to keep Llandudno litter free is "definitely an obstacle to our tourism"....Not sure I agree.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2014, 11:34:02 am »
It's not what there doing , it's how there doing it.......of course I do not want litter...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »
It's not what there doing , it's how there doing it.......of course I do not want litter...

I would agree 100% with that! it is possible to accidentally drop something and end up getting fined for it. Yes it is wrong to drop litter but the fine seems out of all proportion to the offence, they would be better employed picking up the litter instead, it sounds like yet another revenue earning enterprise!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »
I suppose one reason why litter continued to be dropped after the penalties were first introduced many years ago was that people weren't being caught. Now they're being caught, but some feel it's wrong to fine them, or fine them so much. I suspect the fines were set at the current levels precisely so private companies would be interested in doing the job.

If the current system is reducing the amount of litter and dog fouling then one has to ask how it can be improved. People will adapt of course. In North Wales most people stick to the speed limits but that wasn't always the case. Brunstrom's single-minded approach to speeding seems to have conditioned the driving population to drive within the limits. Perhaps the same could happen with littering and fouling?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
I would say that dog fouling and litter are poles apart! I was a litter warden in an Oxfordshire village many years ago, it was a nice little job, I just picked up the litter, not that much really, I never once complained if I saw someone drop anything, they kept me in work! I just think if someone has come on holiday they will be relaxed and may drop the odd thing, they have enough trouble with parking wardens without making their visit even more unpleasant with extreme litter enforcement! 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2014, 08:16:24 pm »
Going back a post or two, Fester, are you saying the Pier Manager invited these inspectors onto the pier but he has not ben fined, but a couple of concessionaires have been? I can hardly believe this. I should certainly not think the pier manager would have a pooing dog around him and chucking litter on his own pier. he probably spends all day picking up other peoples litter.
  But have two kiosk operators like yourself actually been fined for dog pooing/litter throwing? If so, I am speechless with amazement.
  If these enforcement operators are so stuck for an income, I can offer them an absolute goldmine. Its a normal morning for me to go out on the course and scoop up a dozen samples left by local dogs. Also the local youths from the estate up here walk down to town. They all seem to be eating/drinking on their walk down. Plastic wrappers are torn off and dropped every ten/twenty yards.
  Never mind about inviting the inspectors. Just give me a uniform and a pad of official summons sheets and to hell with green fees off golfers, I'm on to a winner.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

If the current system is reducing the amount of litter and dog fouling then one has to ask how it can be improved.

I am not aware of any evidence that the above is actually the case.
As Merddin and many others have said,   the issue is not about being in favour of reducing litter or dog mess, (everyone wants that)... this is about the out of proportion Draconian measures employed to achieve it.

Mike,  one of the concessionaires had a receipt fall from his trouser pocket... his wife pointed to him to pick it up, but before he had chance to do so,   BANG... the scruffy officers had their pads out, and he was £75 poorer.
If it had been me, there would have been an entirely different outcome.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:44 pm »
I would not have paid either, do they film it happening? Total insanity!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »
Major melons you say people should be fined for litter ,have a look at all the empty bottles and other rubbish the rugby lads leave on the maesdu field  and the council litter pickers have to pick up ,

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:21 am »
Major melons you say people should be fined for litter ,have a look at all the empty bottles and other rubbish the rugby lads leave on the maesdu field  and the council litter pickers have to pick up ,

Do the Council charge them for this service?  If they don't, they should.

Maybe the Council could also stop giving them a Grant every year!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero