Author Topic: North Shore issues  (Read 30304 times)

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: North Shore issues..Sandy beach can't be paid for by flood funds
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2023, 10:06:51 am »
Llandudno's sandy beach can't be paid for by flood funds designed to protect homes says minister
Climate Change minister Julie James says the funding can't be used for 'cosmetic' elements when homes and businesses are at risk

But this week Climate Change minister Julie James reiterated that a flood fund had to prioritise protecting homes rather than added 'cosmetic' elements. She did not rule out a sandy beach but said it was down to Conwy Council to apply to Welsh Government funding pots dedicated to tourism, pay for it itself, or look at alternative funding.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudnos-sandy-beach-cant-paid-26997732?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: North Shore issues
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2023, 12:09:18 pm »
I'm sorry to say it but the Climate Change Minister is correct when she said that the fund cannot be used for "cosmetic purposes"  If the quarry waste was removed and replaced by sand it would not offer a better coastal defence than the one it replaced
I'm afraid that the CCBC has made a costly mistake again
Meanwhile over at Rhos on Sea they have got a lovely sandy beach that Llandudno should also have had

Online SteveH

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2023, 10:40:12 am »
A post card showing the beach in past times, lots of shingle and not much sand.

Online SteveH

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2023, 10:09:05 am »
Llandudno beach update as council could bid for levelling-up cash to pay for sand
The local authority is now looking for funds for an initial Economic Impact Assessment

"Conwy County Borough Council will be seeking external funding towards the cost of an Economic Impact Assessment to review the idea of replacing the cobbles with sand. The results from such a study would give us a better understanding of the economic impact of funding sand on North Shore Beach, which would help inform the next steps."

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-beach-update-council-could-27616427?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline pebbles

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2023, 01:08:37 am »
I'd be happy to have north shore more like my 80s childhood of pebbles which gradually became sand a little way down. As my user name suggests, there's nothing wrong with a pebbley beach! However north shore has become a bit like rock climbing in parts the last 10 years or more. We used to give the beach since the turn of the century the joke name of "Llanberin Down" (clambering down) - as we tried not to break an ankle!

Our favourite bit of beach as a kid was always between Queens Road and the Arcadia, the crunch of pebbles, and finding some nice patchy sand to sit on, and at low tide a good sandy paddle (nowadays it needs to be the very extreme low tide to get any sand there). I miss pebbles, booo to rocks and stones, but i find all this talk of "restoring a sandy beach" a bit misleading - pebbles and sand was always the way.

A post card showing the beach in past times, lots of shingle and not much sand.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2023, 08:30:11 am »
Thanks for sharing your memories Pebbles,  I enjoyed reading it as it brought back nice memories for me too.    My favourite spot for swimming on the North Shore was near the Arcadia and I'd walk from home across the field where the Fun Fair used to be and then up the street by the Hydro Hotel
At high tide the water there was deep and clear and when you were swimming you could always see the pebbles below you.   There was no churning up of sand at that spot and no sand sticking to you when you applied the Sun Creme so it was really good.
Llandudno had a lot more pebbles by the Imperial Hotel but a lot were moved for road building in Llandudno's very early development
I don't know what will happen next with the beach but the Council has spoiled two good beaches in the town the North Shore and the West Shore.    You sent in a lovely photo of the West Shore some years ago showing the sea defence and the steps but sadly the steps have now gone too.

Offline Helig

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2023, 10:12:54 am »
I remember sandy beaches on the North shore when on holiday in the 1950s. Living in Llandudno in the 1960s I know the prom side of the beach had shingle but it was sandy shortly after that. I loved swimming by the slipway and my very favourite was to have a donkey ride along the beach.  I have photos of myself on various donkeys and Olwen was a lovely lady who gave me a good ride as my mother knew her well. It was great to see the donkeys walking back to their field after a day's work. Later on I used to go horse riding at Bessie's stables and we often rode on the North shore beach on the sand and in the sea. I fell off in the sea one day when my horse shied. Bessie was keen for me to get back on although all my clothes were sopping wet.

Online SteveH

Re: North Shore issues............. ?investigation works?
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2023, 10:15:46 am »
CONWY County Borough Council is starting ?investigation works? along Llandudno?s North Shore promenade this week as it plans future coastal defences.

The work is expected to finish before December, but may cause disruption to traffic and pedestrians in the meantime.

A council statement read: ?Llandudno North Shore promenade: we?re starting investigation works this week which will help us design future coastal defence improvements.

?We?ll be working on the prom and road between the pier and the lifeboat station.

cont CONWY County Borough Council is starting ?investigation works? along Llandudno?s North Shore promenade this week as it plans future coastal defences.

The work is expected to finish before December, but may cause disruption to traffic and pedestrians in the meantime.

A council statement read: ?Llandudno North Shore promenade: we?re starting investigation works this week which will help us design future coastal defence improvements.

?We?ll be working on the prom and road between the pier and the lifeboat station.

Online SteveH

Re: North Shore issues..........UPDATED
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2023, 10:55:59 am »
Sorry folks messed last post up, try again........... :-[

CONWY County Borough Council is starting ?investigation works? along Llandudno?s North Shore promenade this week as it plans future coastal defences.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23877606.investigation-works-llandudnos-north-shore-promenade/