Author Topic: Pearson / Curtis family 1920's inc Towers Hotel, Trinity Street.  (Read 8087 times)

Offline StephMartin

Hello there,
I hope someone can help. I am doing some family research. My great-grandfather was Leonard Curtis born 1890 in Doncaster. At some point he moved to Conwy and started running The Towers Hotel, 5 Trinity Street. The earliest record of this is 1922.
In 1921 Leonard married Clara (also knon as Clarie and Clarice) Pearson in her hometown of Foelshill, Warwickshire. Clara died in 1931.
There is a family rumour that Clara's parents, Thomas and Pheobe Pearson owned a couple of hotels in Llandudno and that Clara and Leonard took over The Towers when they married.
So really I am looking for any information on The Towers, Trinity Street and The Tower Annexe.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pearson / Curtis family 1920's inc Towers Hotel, Trinity Street.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »
The Towers Hotel in Trinity Square was run by the Pearsons for a number of years.  In fact some of the Manchester United players (pre Munich) stayed there and I was able to get a photo of some of the team standing on the steps of the Hotel. (been looking for it for ages but can't find it.)
I was able to get the photo because one of the sons was one of the leaders in the boys Brigade and as I was in the BB at the time Denis Pearson was able to get it for me.
The hotel was sold and converted into private apartments and look very nice indeed. The hotel/ apartments are on the corner of Trinity Square and Charlton Street.
I see Dennis from time to time in Llandudno where he lives and we have a good chat about the old days. He's not in the best of health and told me that his brother had died in the last year or two. I didn't know the brother but believe that he lived in England somewhere.
Sorry but I can't tell you any more than that.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
A couple of bits which may be of interest.
That part of Trinity Street was re-named Trinity Square before the war.  A T Pearson was there in 1939 and I recall two brothers called Pearson running the place in the 1970s.  About 20 years ago the hotel was sold and converted into flats.  I am afraid I don't know anything of the annex.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »
The Towers Apartments today:
http://g.co/maps/fp824

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:31:24 am »
Hi in the 1929 directory the is the  following listing: Mr & Mrs Leonard Curtis, The Towers Hotel, 5 Trinity Street: Annex 2 Trinity Square

In the 1969 there are two names listed for the Towers Hotel, Reginald Pearson and Gillian Milligan, no mention of the Annex or number 2 Trinity Square. will have a look in some holiday guides when I get a chance tomorrow, there may be more info in those from the 1930's

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:42 am »
When I first knew Dennis Pearson in the mid to late 1950's I can't remember him having an annexe at No 2 Trinity Square.   I think that building is an office block now but have no idea when it ceased to be an Annexe for the Hotel.
Those Street Indexes in the Conwy Archives won't help because the only one they have between 1929 and 1969 is the 1939 one.
They do have Street Indexes though for 1922 and 1926 and some prior to those dates too.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »
Hello Hugo.

Somewhat before you I think, I too was in the Boys Brigade and I think I remember Dennis Pearson. When you see him again, ask him if he remembers the trip to camp in Bangor, N Ireland.

Heddwch.

Mike.
Micox

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:03:42 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »
Nice find, Sue!  $good$

Offline Gill Mill

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:32 pm »
The Towers Hotel was bought by my grandfather, Tom Pearson, in or about 1919 and was run by various members of the family until it was requisitioned by Somerset House during WW2. In 1946 it was sold to my father, Ernest Pearson and his brother Reg, who ran it until they retired in 1979. Clarie ran the Towers first with a friend and then, after her marriage to Leonard Curtis, with him until she died. They had a daughter, Cynthia, but I'm afraid I know very little about her. Is StephMartin related to Cynthia?
The Towers Annex was also on Trinity Square. Later it was known as Oakhurst and was where my grandparents, Tom and Phoebe, lived with their daughters, Hilda and Olive until they died . Grandad also bought the Evans Hotel.
Clarie, Tom and Phoebe are all buried in the Great Orme cemetery.
I hope this is helpful.

Offline StephMartin

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »
Thank you for all your replies, apologies for the delay!
I may be related to Cynthia, if Leonard Curtis is her father.
I can't find any record of Leonard being Cynthia's father, in fact I can't find any record of Cynthia's birth at all.
If you have any information about Claire and Cynthia it would be very much appreciated. Such as why Claire and Leonard married in Warwickshire instead of Conwy, when Cynthia was born, more about Clarie's death in a care home?, possibly related to birth complications, did a child survive?
We have been told by a family member that Cynthia moved with Leonard and his second wife to Ipswich after Clarie's death.
My mother and I are really keen to learn more as this could be a new branch to our tree.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »
. In 1946 it was sold to my father, Ernest Pearson and his brother Reg, who ran it until they retired in 1979.

When I last spoke to Denis Pearson, we were talking about the Towers and he said that his father ran the Towers until it was sold.   Denis must therefore be related to you then.
I was hoping that he would know about "Cynthia" because I've been unable to trace anything to do with her and have more or less given up on trying to trace her.
I did find a Baptism for a Hyacynth Curtis but Charles and Emma were her parents and they lived in Doncaster.  They may have been related to Leonard though as the Baptism was at St Andrews Church in Llandudno and Leonard had some connection with that Church.

Offline Gill Mill

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »
Also sorry about the delay!
Claire and Leonard Curtis were probably married in Foleshill, Coventry, because that was where her parents were living at the time and she wished to be married from home. That was some time in 1921. She died on19th November 1931 at St. Helens, Romania Crescent, Llandudno,which I think was a nursing home.Causes of death are listed as1a Caesarian Section, b acidosis with persistent vomiting, hour glass stomach. 2 gastric ulceration. She was obviously very sick. The baby also died. My mum remembered seeing them in the coffin together. I know very little about Cynthia. I remember meeting her once when I was a little girl. She was visiting our grandparents at Oakhurst. I think Denis, my cousin, may know more. Next time I speak to him I'll try to remember to ask
I would love to know a bit more about Leonard Curtis.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:23 pm »
Have you seen the topic under the heading "The Pearson Family 1930's"    it's on the forum under research.