Author Topic: Titanic with Len Goodman  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Titanic with Len Goodman
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:26 pm »
This four-part series commences this Friday.

John Lowe from Deganwy will appear in the series talking about his grandfather Commander Harold Lowe RD RNR who was born locally and was the fifth officer on the RMS Titanic when it sank on the 15 April 1912.

Officer Lowe was portrayed by Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd in the 1997 blockbuster movie Titanic. The film depicted Lowe rescuing first-class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater from the freezing ocean after finding her floating on a door.

He was portrayed by Kavan Smith in the 1996 mini-series.

In 2004, a menu of the first meal ever served aboard the Titanic, which Lowe had sent to his fiancée when the ship was docked in Ireland, sold for £51,000, breaking the record for auctioned Titanic memorabilia at that time.

John Lowe gave an interesting talk last month to members of the History of Deganwy Society in a packed Peniel Chapel.

Commander Lowe is buried in the churchyard of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos Church in Rhos-on-Sea.

Offline wjones74

Re: Titanic with Len Goodman
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:38 pm »
5th officer Harry Lowe
seem to remember he has a connection to barmouth somehow!

Offline wjones74

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »
This is his very tasteful headstone,

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:07 pm »
5th officer Harry Lowe
seem to remember he has a connection to barmouth somehow!

He has a relative living on Marine Drive, Deganwy, a Capt.John Lowe.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:20 pm »
I should have added it starts tomorrow (Friday) on BBC1 at 8.30pm.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:19 am »
Titanic hero Harold Lowe: Blue plaque to be unveiled at Deganwy home

A blue plaque is to be unveiled at the retirement home of Titanic hero Commander Harold Lowe.

Lowe was fifth officer when the liner struck an iceberg and sank in April 1912 with the loss of 1,517 lives.

Records show he commanded the only lifeboat to look for survivors, pulling four people from the freezing water.

Lowe lived in the waterfront house in Deganwy, Conwy, for 13 years until his death in 1944 aged 61. His grandson, John Harold Lowe, now lives there.

Mr Lowe, a retired merchant navy captain, said his grandfather was known locally as Titanic Lowe.

However, Mr Lowe does not remember his grandfather, who died when Mr Lowe was still a toddler.

Lowe, who was 29 at the time of the disaster, was one of only two of the ship's officers to survive, and was played by the Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd in the 1997 film Titanic.

Mr John Harold Lowe, Grandson of Titanic hero Harold Lowe said: "I've always held him in great esteem. Now that he's getting some recognition, that's even better.

"Within the house, we've had various photographs up. I was proud to be associated with him, although in those days I hadn't delved into it.

"I knew he'd saved people but didn't realise the extent that he'd gone back [in a lifeboat to rescue people].

"He was very reticent to talk about it.

"He talked to his son, my uncle, about it, but it was forbidden to talk about it."

The plaque was commissioned by the History of Deganwy Group and is due to unveiled at 14:00 BST Today.

It comes a century to the day after the Titanic set sail from Southampton on its fateful maiden voyage, when it struck an iceberg en route to New York.

History group member John Griffiths said Commander Lowe served as a Conwy town councillor and during World War II was an air raid warden.

He said: "He was a high-profile councillor. The plaque is to remember him and his bravery."

He was born in Eglwys Rhos, Conwy, and went to school in Barmouth, Gwynedd.

During World War I he was a commander in the Royal Naval Reserve and when he died in 1944, he was buried in Llandrillo yn Rhos in Conwy.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
This afternoon I went along to witness the unveiling of a blue plaque at the former home of Commander Harold Godfrey Lowe RD RNR (Retd) at 1 Marine Crescent in Deganwy.

Harold Lowe was also born in Deganwy before moving away.

Standing in the front garden were several local dignitaries including Janet Finch-Saunders AM, Cllr Brenda Taylor (Chair of CCBC) Cllr Anne Roberts (Mayor of Conwy) Cllr Jason Weyman (Chair of the History of Deganwy Group) and Revd Bob Griffiths (Parish Vicar of Llanrhos) along with representatives of Llandudno RNLI and Deganwy Residents' Association.

Also present were Commander Lowe’s grandson, Capt John Lowe, his wife, children and grandchildren.

The plaque was unveiled jointly by Captain John Lowe and former TV presenter, Arfon Haines Davies

Here are a few photos I took of the event.