Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181784 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Maesdu Bridge
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:37 am »
I could have made a complete balls up for a lot less than that!

_))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:58 am »
I see on Oscar's Blog that the debate about having an elected Mayor to replace the current Cabinet system has raised its head again, with Billybloggs saying...

"If i was an "Elected" mayor, Ronnie's cabinet would be out of the window, a Town Clerk on a modest salary would replace the CEO, widespread streamlining and amalgamation of core duties at the top, allowing some high paid jobs to go, and a cull of the non-jobbers. A complete audit of supply costs to save on consumables, and an investment in the operatives who do the work at the sharp end.Transparency and accountability at all levels"

This is something I think is a really good idea, I've been banging on about it for years on my Blog:

Something I've been getting more and more concerned about over the last few years is the way in which public sector organisations (in particular, local Government) have become detached from the very communities they are supposed to be working for. All too often, we hear about supposed 'Public Consultations' and it is obvious that these are a complete sham - any decision that needed to be taken was made behind closed doors long ago. Indeed, I get the distinct impression that certain individuals view themselves as the the masters of the 'little people', rather than the public servants that they actually are.

I believe that we need to give new life to democracy in local Government and we can start with one major change to the present system, namely an elected Mayor for Conwy County.

Anyone can stand for Mayor, (subject to the same nomination procedure as for Councillors) and each candidate must set out set out a number of clear goals/objectives that their performance in achieving (or otherwise) can be judged against at re-election time. The position would operate in the same way as London's elected Mayor and would, therefore, have the power/financial budget to drive through their plans: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/

http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/10/power-to-people.html

...and now there is a proposal to introduce an elected Mayor for Isle of Anglesey - a Council which has had far more serious problems than Conwy:

Elected mayor 'could end political strife on Anglesey'

"A referendum should be held on creating a directly-elected mayor for Anglesey, says the public spending watchdog. After years of council in-fighting, auditor general Huw Vaughan Thomas says a mayor could offer stability. The Wales Audit Office said ministers' efforts to sort out the problems had not produced a sustainable recovery.

Local Government Minister Carl Sargeant is to make a statement on the council, which could see commissioners brought in to run the authority. It rates the chances of recovery by August as "poor" and says commissioners should be appointed to run it. Mr Sargeant called in the auditor general to inspect the council in February and he will give AMs his conclusions in the Senedd later. A recovery board was appointed to oversee the council in 2009 after an earlier inspection found it had a long history of not being run properly. Wednesday's report says it is now time to "intervene more directly" and the executive functions of the authority should be given to ministerially-appointed commissioners.

It also recommends ministers consider directing the authority to hold a referendum seeking local voters' views on a directly-elected mayor and cabinet. Although there are risks involved, it says it could provide stable leadership and avoid the current jockeying for power between groups of councillors. Ceredigion is the only Welsh county to hold such a referendum, where the idea was rejected in 2004."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-12759423

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2011, 11:25:21 am »
I tend to agree. Although I've always thought that local authorities are the last people to be entrusted with anything, at least an elected mayor with real power might actually accomplish something and could be got rid of at the next election.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2011, 09:40:23 am »
A REFERENDUM on whether to elect an Anglesey mayor could happen next year as signatures are already being collected in a bid to trigger the vote.

MP Mr Owen said a mayor could provide a solution and petition papers have already been approved as the campaign would require 5,000 signatures (10% of the electorate) to trigger the referendum. Labour activists will start collecting names of supporters and a fully fledged campaign to reach the 5,000 total will start after the Welsh Assembly Government elections in May.

MP Mr Owen said: “We are in a desperate situation and we need radical answers.

“Currently the leader of the council is someone elected with 200 or so votes from their own ward and then selected by a small group of councillors, that is not a mandate. “A mayor would be elected for four years and would give you that stability. They would be elected on a programme and manifesto and they would have to deliver on that or they will find it hard when they seek re-election.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/03/21/anglesey-mayor-vote-could-happen-in-2012-55578-28371709/

Does that therefore mean we would just need to collect 5,000 signatures (or whatever 10% of the electorate is here) here in Conwy County to have a Referendum on an Elected Mayor here?

"A British citizen who is a permanent resident in a local council area, registered on the electoral roll and over 18 can run a local petition for a referendum which has the force of law above any council decision under the Local Government Act 2000. "

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:05 pm »
I have today announced that I am in fact standing as a Assembly Candidate in the forthcoming Election on the 5th May.
I am the (only) Independent Candidate on the North Wales Region list.

http://jasonweyman.blogspot.com/2011/04/north-wales-regional-assembly-candidate.html

On the 5th May at the polling station you will receive 3 ballot papers.
My name will appear on the White piece of paper below the 10 poltical parties.

With your help I have a chance to be able to represent Conwy and the rest of North Wales as one of the additional members. Statistically I have a better chance of obtaining one of these seats, than I would have fighting the main parties in the Aberconwy seat.

I would appreciate any help you can offer, by passing the word to as many contacts as possible you have across North Wales.

Many Thanks
Jason

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »
Good Luck, Jason! I've given you a plug on my Facebook and Twitter.  ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:47 am »
Good luck, Jason  ££$

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:07 am »
Many Thanks Dave and Ian.

I hope I will be seen as a viable alternative to the Poltical Parties (both the 4 main and the 6 other)

Yorkie

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:47 am »
On 7 March  I sent in a Freedom of Information request to Llandudno Town Council.  The 20 day deadline for a reply came and went on Monday  4 April.    What a load of Tossers they are, breaking the Law of the Land!

Regret that it looks like yet another complaint to the Informtion Commissioner and another rap cross the knuckles for them.    >>>

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2011, 11:00:28 am »
You should perhaps try making the request via this website, so that everyone can see their response (or lack of it):
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/llandudno_town_council

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:56 am »
On 7 March  I sent in a Freedom of Information request to Llandudno Town Council.  The 20 day deadline for a reply came and went on Monday  4 April.    What a load of Tossers they are, breaking the Law of the Land!

Regret that it looks like yet another complaint to the Informtion Commissioner and another rap cross the knuckles for them.    >>>

Mine came back within the prescribed time limit when I asked them about the cost of sand clearance on the West Shore.     D)
Unfortunately I don't believe the figure quoted and think that they are way out and have under estimated it!      :o

Yorkie

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2011, 11:26:25 am »
Dave - "Good idea Son", as Max Bygraves would have said!    ZXZ

In the past I have always written with a Recorded Delivery Letter.  I am almost persona no grata as far as Llandudno Town Council are concerned as I had a major arguement with them due to a past Town Clerk regarding a defamation issue.   I have been a PITA for a long time.   I am on good terms with some Town Councillors, unless of course, they are playing both sides, but there are certain "older" Members who certainly do not appreciate the boat being rocked.

At one time they even passed a resolution not to accept email correspondence from me!    It seems that such could still be the case, which to me sparks of victimisation.   If I find it is still so I will be hot foot to the Ombudsman.

I don't really care what they think or do as it just goes to indicate what worthless and small minded people many of them are.      Every dog has its day!    Woof Woof!     L0L

Yorkie

« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:38 am »
Mine came back within the prescribed time limit when I asked them about the cost of sand clearance on the West Shore.     D)

Was that Llandudno Town or Conwy County Council?   I would have thought that such would be a County Council job.    They are very quick and efficient with FoI requests, even by e-mail which I generally use. $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2011, 12:00:51 am »
Yorkie, yes,every dog has its day.... on this day, it was your turn to get PUT DOWN!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:38 am »
Yorkie, yes,every dog has its day.... on this day, it was your turn to get PUT DOWN!

I'll take myself walkies along to the vet, COUNCILLOR Chris Cater, then!    _))*