Author Topic: System Announcements  (Read 157982 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: System Announcements
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
It seems normal policy with most (if not all) Forums for the contributors to benefit from being able to remain anonymous.   Even those who operate Forums and Blogs seem to prefer this option, such as Oscar or Disgruntled from Croydon!

I just wonder how many Bri Roberts and Dave Roberts we have in the area, together with Owens, Williams, Jones and the plethora of common Welsh names.  Don't think naming would work, altough it would be helpful to know sometimes.   

I see no reason why the Forum Admin should not, if circumstances arose, politely ask a contributors name and retain it privately - but then I cannot see such a need arising!

As an aside, I have never met (as far as I know) Bri or Dave Roberts, don't care if I ever do meet them, but probably would enjoy it if I ever did.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »
Another suggestion would be to upload a recent photograph of oneself as an avatar.

I would not have a problem with that either. Z@@

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »
Do you want the system to fail completely Bri?     _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:12 am »
Oh hang on there Bri.  I am not the most photogenic of people and there would be not a chance in hell of me putting a recent photo on the forum as my avatar  :D

Oh what the hell
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »
Thanks to all the existing Members who have contributed to Introduction thread. Please keep them coming.

It's slightly disappointing that none of the people who have joined since I added the thread have added in a post about themselves! I've added a line into the Registration Agreement that says:

"We ask that when you join the Forum, you make a short post in the 'Say Hello here if you're a new Member' thread in the 'Welcome' section, telling us just a little bit about yourself."

That seems entirely reasonable, surely?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:07 pm »
Eagle eyed Forum Members may have noticed some Facebook icons appearing around the Forum. It is now possible to Like or Share topics or individual posts on Facebook simply by clicking the icon by the relevant topic/post.

It is also possible to now login to the Forum from your Facebook account without needing to sign up separately. This feature still needs a little bit of tweaking, however. I shall make a post underneath this one from my Facebook account to demonstrate it.

Offline david.roberts.73700136

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »
This is an example of posting from my Facebook account without needing to setup a separate login for the Forum. There are still a few bugs to be tweaked, namely it doesn't display your Profile pic by Default and it shows a number after your name. Everything else works though.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »
This Facebook comment box seems to have screwed up the page format on my iPad, anyone else having a similar problem?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:56 pm »
This Facebook comment box seems to have screwed up the page format on my iPad, anyone else having a similar problem?
Try it now, I've disabled that particular feature.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
Yes, it's fine now.
Thanks Dave.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »
User 'aharon ' is a Spammer and has been banned.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »
I'm doing some housekeeping in 'Ask a Local' which involves merging several topics which have only one or two postings. Thanks for your patience.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »
Slight problem with the Forum software this morning that I have now hopefully resolved.

The Unread Posts feature will have been wiped clean, I'm afraid, as part of fixing the problem.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »
Slight problem with the Forum software this morning that I have now hopefully resolved.

The Unread Posts feature will have been wiped clean, I'm afraid, as part of fixing the problem.

Dave, just for your info, The unread posts feature was exactly as it should have been.
All the new ones for today were listed, plus previous days ones which I had never bothered to read were present.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:20 am »
I'm doing some tidying up, so you may see some 'new' topics which are not actually new;  they're simply merged with other, similar and older ones. Thanks for your patience.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.