Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386077 times)

Offline viv

Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #645 on: November 11, 2014, 08:10:10 pm »
How do you vote? Is there a link somewhere please?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #646 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:14 pm »
Hi Viv, The only vote is the forum vote above.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #647 on: November 11, 2014, 08:21:58 pm »
Phoo-- I can't see anyone getting permission to open a restaurant so near to Porth Erias!!!! :-X

First come first served... :) ....But I say the more the merrier, restaurants have become good attractions. $good$

Offline viv

« Reply #648 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »
I should have pointed out that CVPT are quoting estimates of " £6.3m to restore both pier and pavilion structure with private investment for the interior fit out as a cafe/restaurant, creative workspace and public art platform based on the fun palace ideas of Joan Littlewood."..
http://www.theguardian.com/stage/joan-littlewood
That sounds like a far more realistic figure than the 'pie in the sky' figure of £15m that appeared out of nowhere last year.
I'm sure everyone on the Forum wishes them the best of luck with seeing the Pier restored.  $good$

Please don't include me in your 'everybody'.

Please don't include me either!

Phoo-- I can't see anyone getting permission to open a restaurant so near to Porth Erias!!!! :-X

First come first served... :) ....But I say the more the merrier, restaurants have become good attractions. $good$

Offline viv

« Reply #649 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:16 pm »
I would support demolition apart from the front part up to the bit that goes out to the bandstand.

Offline BMD

« Reply #650 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:27 pm »
They are currently finalising a new Heritage Lottery fund bid with a deadline of 30th nov.2014

I admire their persistence. It's clear that they - and not the council - are representing majority public opinion. I hope they get a lucky break on lottery funding.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #651 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:52 pm »
As I have said in the past, they built the skip, ( no idea why?) so now they are lumbered with it they will not want the pier to compete with it in the future! Although as there is almost nothing in the skip an empty shed could be regarded as competition! 😕
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline viv

« Reply #652 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:38 pm »
Hi Viv, The only vote is the forum vote above.

That's what I meant -how do you vote in the forum please?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:24 am »
Just go up to the first posting in the topic and place your vote in there.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2014, 07:57:53 am »
How about a poll with the option of demolition of the skip?  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
How about a poll with the option of demolition of the skip?  WWW
What a good idea!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: November 13, 2014, 04:09:06 pm »
Website for the Group seeking to restore the Pier:

http://www.colwynpier.org.uk/

The Grade II listed Victoria Pier is one of only 31 surviving open-structure piers with iron columns in the UK. It has been at risk since the mid-1970s. In 2013 it was successfully awarded a £5m in-principle HLF grant with £594,000 to work up detailed plans. But Conwy Council chose not to accept the grant and are now trying to demolish it.

It’s not too late…
The columns are generally in good condition – no worse than the majority of piers around the country. Three independent engineers (Peter Wheeler, the engineer from Hastings Pier Charity, Nick Clarke of Ramboll, and Roger Speakman of FPE Group) have all challenged the council’s interpretation of the Datry’s reports. Their conclusion is “on the whole demolition would seem a waste of the pier” and “the loss of Colwyn would be of great significance”. Victoria Pier needs emergency works to prevent partial collapse and then a process of systematic repair.

Our plans are better than the original – more viable, less expensive, better social outcomes, and more commercially sustainable.

Imagine the future…
•    the 1900 substructure is completely restored, creating a stable platform over the sea (£2.5m)
•    a new building replaces the carbuncle at the pier entrance – a Health, Fitness & Beauty Centre that combines attractive offers to the general public with a wide range of training and qualification opportunities for local young people and those wanting to retrain later in life (£1.4m for core – fit-out by private investor)
•    the 1933 Pavilion, an early example of art for the public, is stripped back and restored as a café-restaurant, prestige creative workspaces and public art platform, potentially drawing on the Fun Palace ideas of Joan Littlewood. The Ravilious and Adshead murals are too far gone to rescue but their heritage can be honoured by commissioning a new public art piece that reminds us of the importance of art to ordinary people (£3.8m)
•    the deck is restored into a series of ‘tracks’ for walking, running, cycling, hurdles etc. Alongside these are a series of health-related concession stalls (smoothies, healthy foods, fitness retail, etc). Cutting-edge health technologies are integrated throughout to introduce the new digital health apps to a wider public.
•    at the seaward end of the pier is a massive acrylic outdoor mirror that reflects the bay and the town, the sea and the light, and is something fun and interesting to cycle, run or walk towards. The acrylic could have other images and light shows projected onto it for special events.
•    at night the pier is lit up with high-impact low-energy LED displays that attract people to evening activities such as roller discos, ‘zero to hero’ fight nights, fashion shows, and circus events

The new HLF bid sees the whole pier as an anchor to improve the HEALTH of the residents and visitors of the North Wales coast. The Health, Fitness & Beauty (HFB) Centre is a commercial opportunity offering (through partnership with Llandrillo College) significant LEARNING outcomes. The HFB Centre, the Pavilion and the concessions all offer opportunities for enterprise and employment that drive local PROSPERITY.

Offline BMD

« Reply #657 on: November 13, 2014, 04:36:40 pm »
Thanks for that, DaveR.  $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #658 on: November 13, 2014, 05:09:28 pm »
Thanks for that, DaveR.  $good$
Yes well done, gives every one the chance to put their point of view forward, in the community survey section, and the opportunity for those in favour to show their support by joining CVPT.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #659 on: November 13, 2014, 11:53:02 pm »
Just go up to the first posting in the topic and place your vote in there.

In due respect to Viv, I don't think it is as easy as that Ian,  I stumbled around a bit before placing my vote.
For the uninitiated, it's not always obvious where you 'click' to place your vote.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -