Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 385827 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #525 on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »
The Victoria Pier Pressure Group have recently published some photos of the Pier's interior. They date from 2013 but are still worth a look. http://victoriapierpressuregroup.weebly.com/

Offline Jack

« Reply #526 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:39 pm »
Looks a lot better inside than I was expecting!

Offline BMD

« Reply #527 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

From what I've read in the report i.e. appendix 2 9.1 concluded that the cast-iron piles and columns supporting the Pier were structurally sound but that some elements, such as the bracing system and steel girders supporting the steel deck, were in poor condition and would require replacement.

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely that means the legs are fine but every thing else, including the bracing to support the legs, will have to be replaced. So I think to say the Steel Structure of the Pier is solid, might be construed as a trifle optimistic.  :(

The original structural survey, by Datrys, says (to summarise a little):

1. Cast iron piles & columns in good condition (need only cleaning & painting).
2. Some (but not all - 60% cited) of the main girders need replacing. Some need repairing rather than replacing.
3. Low level horizontal bracing struts need cleaning, and their connection fixings and fittings replaced.
4. Column bracing members and bracing clasps need replacing.

A lot of work to be done, but I think the council report's point was the structure is better than expected. Remember that certain councillors have been quoted by local newspapers (for years) as saying that the pier is too far gone and not salvageable. That's simply false. It's that kind of misleading information that needs countering repeatedly.

The survey also made the point that the condition of the pier is varied. The seaward end is worse. But the area below the pavilion requires fewer girders to be replaced, and could survive in a weakened state for much longer due to high level of redundancy in the structure... etc

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #528 on: January 27, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »
I do hope that report is accurate BDM. I just have visions of the Pier becoming the next Maesdu Bridge.  ££$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline BMD

« Reply #529 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »
The Victoria Pier Pressure Group have recently published some photos of the Pier's interior. They date from 2013 but are still worth a look. http://victoriapierpressuregroup.weebly.com/

Well worth looking at - they've posted 127 of them on their Facebook site:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668612976511540&set=a.668608179845353.1073741826.100000885326980&type=1&permPage=1

I liked this one:

Offline Linda

« Reply #530 on: January 28, 2014, 12:10:11 am »
I saw one of the car on there covered in bird poop, wonder if its up for sale ;)

Offline Tosh

« Reply #531 on: January 28, 2014, 08:38:39 am »
I saw one of the car on there covered in bird poop, wonder if its up for sale ;)
The car or the poop.
The car is £300 and the poop is thirty bob a bag, bring your own bag.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:07 am »

Well worth looking at - they've posted 127 of them on their Facebook site
Looking at the photos, the main problem with the shoreward end building (built in 1968 as the Golden Goose Amusements by Trusthouse Forte Leisure) is the leaking roof. I remember there were leaks appearing just after Steve Hunt had finished the internal refurbishment work, the pyramid shaped fibreglass vaults (clearly visible on the photo below) on the roof must be a nightmare to keep watertight.

[smg id=51]

Offline Linda

« Reply #533 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:44 pm »
The car or the poop.
The car is £300 and the poop is thirty bob a bag, bring your own bag.
$fan$ think ill give that a miss then. Thirty bob way over priced.

Offline Linda

« Reply #534 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:21 pm »
If the pier is demolished we will loose that amazing starling display just before dark just before they roost for the night. Or will they congregate on the Waterfront building and take the poop with them Oh dear! ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #535 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »
If the pier is demolished we will loose that amazing starling display just before dark just before they roost for the night. Or will they congregate on the Waterfront building and take the poop with them Oh dear! ???

The starling swooping display is known as a 'Murmuration' apparently...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline BMD

« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:50 am »
I used to fairly regularly see a peregrine falcon perched on top of the structure at the seaward end of the pier. I once borrowed some ultra-powerful binoculars from someone, and got a good long look at it in the morning sunshine. Perhaps the pier can be listed as a habitat of a protected species (in addition to being a listed building).  ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #537 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:47 pm »
I would like to place a substantial bet that Colwyn Bay Pier will still be there, (whether developed or not)...

......TEN YEARS from now.   ;)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
I believe as part of the de-listing process, that CCBC must prove that they have actively tried to sell the pier.

What's to stop Shore Thing putting in a £1 bid to take it off the Council's hands, then they can get stuck in tidying it up and applying for grants?

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »
What's to stop Shore Thing putting in a £1 bid to take it off the Council's hands?

If Shore Thing were foolish enough to contemplate doing as you suggest, in a time of austerity, when grants and outside funding are exceptionally hard to come by, they could very easily find themselves having to pay for the demolition of the Pier and for the subsequent clean up of the foreshore.

Not something that should be contemplated without a great deal of rational forethought.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)