Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386118 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #465 on: December 12, 2013, 09:36:00 pm »
Perhaps, just perhaps, the Councillors have taken opinions of the electorate
Keep the jokes coming Yorkie, that's a goodun.  _))*

I'll stick with the village idiot theory!  :laugh:  they spent millions creating an unwanted giant skip which seems like it can never make money, to cater for a few jet skiers?  Then they say there is no money for the pier and seem to get ever increasing estimates to rebuild the pier to justify their case. All very strange!  $angry$ 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2013, 07:54:15 am »
I'll stick with the village idiot theory!

I'm not sure they're all idiots - although some undoubtedly are. Much more the case as with all council issues of this magnitude that it's a combination of factors which might include:

1. Incompetence
   2. Selfishness
   3. lack of intelligence
   4. lack of foresight
   5. lack of education
   6. lack of awareness
   7. lack of courage
   8. the Martyr complex

County Councillors ought to be selfless individuals whose sole aim in life is to serve the community to the best of their ability. Fairy stories aside, however, in the real world they seek election for a variety of motives, none of which could even charitably be described as 'selfless'.

But even worse is what happens when they're elected. Many become so self-absorbed and so utterly convinced by their own rhetoric that they assume god-like status in their own minds and make pronouncements which they convince themselves are 'just' based on their own perceived infallibility.

That caricature doesn't apply to all, of course; but it does to a huge number and this blatant self-righteousness, combined with the obsessive desire to shield themselves from legitimate scrutiny leaves us with a ropey crew at best, and potential dereliction at worst.

Here's a challenge: why has no councillor ever contributed on the most significant forum in the area in its existence?  Perhaps they're scared (No. 7 on the list) or perhaps they don't know how (No.s 1 & 6). Well, here's a promise:  we will provide a board in here (like PC Mike Smith used to have) where the Councillor can act as a moderator and openly debate questions that arise. 

All they have to do is ask.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:59 am »
So sad about the apathy.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:42 am »
Perhaps, just perhaps, the Councillors have taken opinions of the electorate
Keep the jokes coming Yorkie, that's a goodun.  _))*

Actually, i was doing a Kenny Everet and being "quite serious"!    WWW WWW WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #469 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:49 am »
Preserving the basic pier would cost £2.7m more than demolishing it. Not much in the overall scheme of things for preserving a piece of heritage. Ongoing maintenance costs, yes. But nearly everything has those - why don't Porth Eirias's high running costs also scare the council?

Valid or not, the £15m estimate apparently frightened people. It's £6m higher than the £9m estimate for pier + pavilion. And £11.3 higher than preserving the basic pier. So, these "bells & whistles" additions are estimated at costing *far* more than the pier structure itself.

Darren Millar has written: "Colwyn Bay is a town on the up and the dilapidated pier has been a distraction from the improvements being made in the town for far too long." So, the matter of preserving a piece of Victorian history - one of only 58 surviving piers - is a "distraction" for Millar? I think that says a lot about how this issue has been addressed.
http://www.darrenmillaram.com/news/councillors-vote-demolish-colwyn-bay-pier

Offline Tosh

« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:43 am »
Perhaps if we had all shown a bit more enthusiasm when Steve owned it, things might have turned out differently.
Perhaps if the money sources had divvied up when Steve owned it, things might have turned out differently.
Perhaps if CBC had not persecuted Steve over a piddling amount of debt, things might have turned out differently.
No, I am not a friend nor am I related to Steve.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #471 on: December 13, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »
The numbers of people wanting to save the pier these days should declare the last time they last used the pier and spent money there.
I am 52 and last used the facilities on a regular basis from 1978 to about 1982 when bands such as Slade, The Buzzcocks, The Enid, Magnum were in attendance in the Dixieland Showbar.

When Hutchinson Leisure took over it was the start of the end as the The Rhos Abbey, The Clarence Hotel and various cinemas were all in the same group and we are all still going to all of them on a regular basis!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2013, 04:54:03 pm »

I am 52 and last used the facilities on a regular basis from 1978 to about 1982 when bands such as Slade, The Buzzcocks, The Enid, Magnum were in attendance in the Dixieland Showbar.

Ahem, it should be upgraded to GRADE ONE listed status, if only because the mighty MOTORHEAD played there in 1976!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #473 on: December 13, 2013, 07:10:54 pm »
The numbers of people wanting to save the pier these days should declare the last time they last used the pier and spent money there.

When Hutchinson Leisure took over it was the start of the end as the The Rhos Abbey, The Clarence Hotel and various cinemas were all in the same group and we are all still going to all of them on a regular basis!!
I was there practically every week (including the final week) whilst it was open under Hunt's ownership, as I wanted to support the Pier. However, the businesses on the pier were not well run and even I felt at times that my custom was not appreciated.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #474 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »
They didn't appreciate your custom? The acknowledged premier coffee drinker in the area

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #475 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »
They didn't appreciate your custom? The acknowledged premier coffee drinker in the area
*takes a bow*  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »
A local planning Consultant has produced this excellent analysis of the legal situation surrounding Colwyn Bay Pier. It would seem that the decision taken to demolish the Pier is pointless, as there is very little chance that it can be de-listed to allow the demolition! All the reasons given for the HLF grant application about how the Pier is so important are now the very same same reasons that mean it cannot be de-listed. Conwy's Councilors have not shot themselves in the foot here; but more in the head....

Well worth a read:
http://plplanningnews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/colwyn-bay-victoria-pier.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2013, 05:24:02 pm »
Very interesting! Seems that the council has no idea what they are doing?  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
Very interesting! Seems that the council has no idea what they are doing?  &shake&

Not so different from normal then?    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »
Why does that come as absolutely no surprise, bunch of incompetents.