Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 229284 times)

Offline RichieC

Re: Welcome!
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2011, 07:21:44 am »
I'm just working out how to post images. Think I have the icon-second from left on the second row of squares. Where do I go from there though? Is there a direct Photobucket connection, or maybe from my own computer?

Thanks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:47 am »
There are full instructions here, Richie, but posting an image is simply a matter of clicking 'additional options' (lower LH corner) as you're composing a reply, and that opens up a dialogue from where you can post images.

Good to see we have another early poster on the forum!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2011, 08:03:47 am »
How to upload photos to a post.

1) After writing your post, underneath the message box, click on Additional Options.
2) Next to Attach, click on the 'Choose File' button.
3) Select the photo file you want to use from my computer's hard drive (it must be less than 300k in size).
4) If you want to add another photo, click on (more attachments) and repeat the procedure.
5) Click on Post and the message & photo should be displayed.

The photos you have added are are displayed at the end of your post, you dont choose where they go in the post. You can add a maximum of 4 photos per post at present.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline RichieC

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:35 pm »
Thanks for that Ian. I'll have a go if I get time later today, otherwise I'll make during this coming this weekend for everyone.

Just be prepared to trim out the mis-hits on the way there! LOL

Offline Trojan

« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum Ritchie!  :)

Offline che guevaras flip flops

« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2011, 08:02:46 pm »
Hi.   My name is Andy Williams.  I grew up in the old Colwyn Bay Hotel on Marine Drive in Colwyn Bay in the 1960's  where my father was manager.  At the same time my grandfather - William Williams was manager of the Queens Hotel on the Promenade in Llandudno.

My mother's sister was a teacher in Llandudno - Maureen White - and her an her husband (my uncle Peter ) also ran the Alexander Stores in West Shore for a while and also the corner shop in Rhuddlan Avenue.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Any tales to tell about the Colwyn Bay Hotel?

[smg id=53]

« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
Not really - was all a long time ago.  It was actually owned by a family called Quellyn-Roberts who owned several big hotels and a big wine importing business.  The main man then was Paul Quellyn-Roberts who had organised arctic convoys during the war.  They were numbered using his initials - PQ, such as the infamous PQ17.

My arch enemies were the Owen lads from a smaller hotel across the road.  I read on here someone mentioning the private tunnel from the old days that linked the hotel to the station.  I remember as a child that there was a huge network of tunnels and underground rooms underneath the hotel that actually went out quite far.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »
Was the 'smaller hotel across the road' the St. Enochs? I happened to be passing during demolition and grabbed a load of photos, of which this is one:

Demolition by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »
Think it was the next one down or the one next to that.  We used to throw stones across the road at each other and other 'boys-will-be-boys stuff'.  On my 8th birthday party me and some friends were stoning them and their mates and I got cracked in the eye and it game up like a golf ball.

Was great times.  The Owens and their gang and me and a lad called Gareth Roberts from Kenelm Drive and our gang used to terrorise that part of town down as far as the swimming pool in Rhos-On-Sea and as far the other way as Eirias Park and the pier.

The pier makes me sad.  Had loads of memories about that.  Climbing over the gate at 8 years of age at 5 in the morning to go fishing.  I learnt to fish off that pier.  Hope the council get the money to buy and refurbish it.

I was a bit posh back then. I went to school at Loretto Convent down the West Shore/Gt Orme end of Llandudno til I was 8 and then went to Lyndon Prep School.     When I was 11 we moved to another of the Quellyn-Roberts hotels - Rowton Hall in Chester then my parents split up not long after and I lived a 'normal' life from then on !!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
Welcome Andy.

I was under the impression that Loreto Convent was a girls school in the 1960's.  :-*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:23 am »
Hi and yet another Welcome to you Andy.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »
Was great times.  The Owens and their gang and me and a lad called Gareth Roberts from Kenelm Drive and our gang used to terrorise that part of town down as far as the swimming pool in Rhos-On-Sea and as far the other way as Eirias Park and the pier.

Wonderful memories Andy.

Memories like this should be cherished forever.

Thanks to the  $3towns$ now they can!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2011, 03:04:32 pm »
My mother's sister was a teacher in Llandudno - Maureen White - and her an her husband (my uncle Peter ) also ran the Alexander Stores in West Shore for a while and also the corner shop in Rhuddlan Avenue.

What was the corner shop called Andy?

Your Uncle Peter was a keen sportsman wasn't he?

« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:54 pm »
Welcome Andy.

I was under the impression that Loreto Convent was a girls school in the 1960's.  :-*

Nope - took boys until the age of 8