Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 206552 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #375 on: August 19, 2012, 10:51:53 am »
The simple answer Wrex is to invade the Council Chamber en mass at all Meetings of the Council and the Sub-committees.  Do what the Peasants did in the Middle Ages - revolt!

Here is another story:

In 2005, because I was being a pain in the ar-se to them, they saw fit to put a block on a family owned Domain Name, with their Hosting Service.  Due to some stupid act by the person concerned, probably the Town Clerk of the time, it effectively closed down the domain name over a broad section of the Internet.  The Domain name is paid for by my Son and used by a large number of friends and relatives.

The Council agreed to sort the matter out in March of this year, but despite a plethora of so-called IT "experts" attempting their "magic" it has still not been sorted.  My Son and I have pointed the Council in the right direction as to what needs doing but so far the problem still exists.  Unfortunately it can only be authorised by the Council as they were the instigators of the stupid crass action they took.   We do not know how much mail we may have lost due to the Council's stupidity, or indeed if there was anything important  To stop mail from me they could have just used a block on their own computer using mail rules, without completely disrupting the whole service.   It looks as if the only remedy now is for the Council to answer for their actions in Court, at even more expense on the community.

If you feel you can assist the Council I am sure a big fat fee could be demanded!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:31 am »
In 2005, because I was being a pain in the ar-se to them, they saw fit to put a block on a family owned Domain Name, with their Hosting Service.

That sounds illegal.  How exactly did that operate?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
In 2005, because I was being a pain in the ar-se to them, they saw fit to put a block on a family owned Domain Name, with their Hosting Service.

That sounds illegal.  How exactly did that operate?

Don't ask me how they did it, I believe that a local company was looking after their IT services at the time and my Son understands the ins and outs more than I do.  I spoke to him today and he says that reinstatement should be done by the Council's Hosting Service, if they know what they are doing, that is!!   The name "seether" has come into the equation a few times, and this appears to have local connections.   :(

As far as legality is concerned there appears to be an offence in contravention of the Communications Act 2003 but we do not want to take on the heavy cost of an opinion until that  becomes the last resort.  It is quite a complicated read as is most legislation.   >>>
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: August 19, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »
Sounds a bit odd. The domain name used for your email has no connection with the ISP you use to access websites, so there is no correlation. What you can do is block an IP address or particular ISP from accessing a website by modifying the .htaccess file on the Server. I've used it to stop Russian bots from accessing the Forum.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #379 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »
Thanks Dave, if it is as simple as that then why is it taking them so long to get it sorted. 

If the Town Council mail me at my normal email address (the one using the domain name) they get their mail bounced back with the following:

(my address)
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:(my  address): host rhea.easily.co.uk (212.53.64.83): 550 "Mail from Llandudno.gov.uk is denied from host 188.165.248.103 SPF

Then follows copy of the message.

If you know how to sort it for them, contact Tessa.    ££$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That error message is saying that mail from llandudno.gov.uk is denied, not from your own email address?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:13 pm »
It sounds as though the block is at your end, Yorkie.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2012, 07:50:14 pm »
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That error message is saying that mail from llandudno.gov.uk is denied, not from your own email address?

We have been into it with our own Host and apparently (me not being technical) is something to do with email validation system (SPF) I think!   Our host cannot do anything about it and, in fact, advised us to get LTC to deal with it through theirs.  My lad knows exactly the problem and  I have passed on the message we received from our Host to LTC.  We think that LTC's original host was bought out by Talk Talk and everything has gone haywire since then.  If you look, you can see that they are barely able to keep their web site in reasonable order.  Also it seems that the person who put the Council's wishes into action is no longer in their employment or even interested. 
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
It sounds as though the block is at your end, Yorkie.

I am assured that it is not!   Also no one consulted by the Council so far, has suggested that is the case.  Bear in mind I am not technical but all details of the problem including message sources, details, routes etc. have been passed on so they have as much information as we do.  Perhaps if you saw the documentation I have it would be clearer!
 $thanx$ for your interest.

Is this really about Xmas illuminations??   _))*
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: August 19, 2012, 08:04:10 pm »
It appears that , because LTC have not set up their email system properly, all email sent from them is regarded as Spam and bounced back, due to a failure with the Email validation.

http://www.authsmtp.com/faqs/faq-65.html

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #385 on: August 19, 2012, 08:07:11 pm »
It appears that , because LTC have not set up their email system properly, all email sent from them is regarded as Spam and bounced back, due to a failure with the Email validation.

http://www.authsmtp.com/faqs/faq-65.html

I hope they read this!   There must be a kind way of getting it solved!    _))*

I think a local company were the last to try.   $thanx$
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:58 am »
I am assured that it is not! 

Dave beat me to it:-)) It's not even that hard to resolve, but it will involve the LTC bods sorting it out.

Offline viv

« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:54 pm »
I don't know where that story came from about Colwyn Bay having Llandudno's lights, but it is certainly not true! When Colwyn Bay Town Council started paying for the town's lights we went to the warehouse where the Council lights were supposed to be stored (which was actually in the St John's Ambulance HQ in Old Colwyn) and only found a tangled heap of old cables. We therefore decided to get new ones on a 3 year contract starting with the town centre with new on then the second year moving these out to Old Colwyn and having new ones again in the Town Centre, and the 3rd year extending to Rhos with new ones in the Town Centre, all on a rental Basis so we didn't have to store them. We have stayed with the same company following proper tendering and have just agreed on the new lighting programme for the next 3 years with new lights in a stunning theme.  We do not consider that local businesses should contribute -indeed we also offer small Xmas trees to be put on brackets and decorated by the traders to augment our lights. If we ask too much of the businesses they may go under, and that is no good for the town -the more businesses that we can promote by having attractive lights, the more money they will make and they will hopefully not close.  We are fortunate that we have a lot of small shops whose owners also take an interest and try their best.

I can assure you we wouldn't want Llandudno's cast offs thank you !

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »
Viv please come to Llandudno,we need someone with your common sense to explain to our councillors why we need to light up the town at xmas.

Offline viv

« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »
Thanks Wrex! But I don't think I would be able to persuade them, after all it's their town! I can concur with the political analysis that you made in a previous post, and unfortunately when politics are so strongly voiced it is difficult to achieve a consensus that is best for the town. Last year we had problems in Colwyn Bay due to the condition of some of the lamp posts and we were unable to light up Abergele Road. This year we are turning this negative into a positive and taking the opportunity to try different options rather than the usual festoons and catenaries (spelling?) . In the Bay we have a problem in that the area sprawls out and we have tried a linear approach with similar lights, but we are now look the areas independently and giving them their own identity so there is a focus on those locations. After Xmas we will be consulting the traders in those locations to consider their own colour schemes and designs.  Our new Council from May has brought in some enthusiastic members who have joined to promote and improve Colwyn Bay, and even though some of the original political Councillors are still there the enthusiasm of the independents wins through. Discussion is frank, but controlled and unbiased and consensus reigns because we are there for the same reason - our town.

Closed and struggling shops do not attract footfall. We have no control over business rates. We have to focus on what we can control, and the shops and the public will respond positively and support us when we need them too if we have to challenge something. People power is very effective and by involving people in decisions  can help us to obtain extra funding other than through Council tax to do even more things for their benefit. But it all has to start with the will to do things that way, rather than us always thinking that we know what is best for them, and that can be a difficult barrier to break through! Good luck.