Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 209592 times)

Offline Alan Drwm

Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2012, 12:05:46 pm »
Some years ago I began a project called Llandudno Decorative lights, which, with a combination of funds from a local charity, the Town Council and local businesses, provided Christmas illuminations in Llandudno.  Beginning the first year in Madoc Street, and then expanding to the whole town we lit up Llandudno every year.  Later the mood of the Town Council changed and they withdrew their funding, suggesting that the businesses were the ones to benefit so they should bear the whole cost. This was a lot to ask, and as I was not prepared to fund Llandudno's Christmas lights from my own pocket, the scheme collapsed.  But, as luck would have it, Colwyn Bay Town Council found out that a town full of Christmas lights were sitting dormant in a Llandudno warehouse, and offered to adopt Llandudno's lights as their own.  The result was that, funded by Colwyn Bay Town Council, the lights seen in Colwyn Bay and other surrounding towns for most of the last 15 years came from those Llandudno rejected.  However, due to the refurbishment costs required to meet new EU guidelines, the expenses were too great for us to bear, so the business closed a couple of years ago and all the decorations have gone to that great Christmas tree in the sky.  But it was great while it lasted.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:54 pm »
You did a superb job too, Alan.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »
It was Cll Bertola who used to bark on about M&S should pay for the lights and this is the whole problem ,nobody looks at the benefits of having a bit of pride in the town,when you think Llandudno is supposed to be a tourist and main shopping town and the display this council puts on is abissmal and yet there is not one complaint from the chamber of trade,hospitality assoc or the regeneration group so its no surprise thetown hall don;t give a monkeys.One day somebody will have a little imagination and pride for the town,but not until the dead and oldwood has gone from the council or enought people and groups show a little interest as well.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »
And the same Town Councillor, the said Brian B Bertola, is the first one to start shouting long and loud, to make sure that his pet Rugby Club and Swimming Club are first in line when the Council are dishing out the Annual Grants!

It is just his priorities that are in the wrong order, or is it selfishness?   :rage:

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
A typical politician in my opinion.  &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »
Well with only 5 months before the xmas illuminations should be turned on to enhance Llandudno at xmas im hoping all 11 new councillors are aware that the town lights are poor and need improving,i will right to all new and old councillors again and hope that more than ten reply this time.I do hope that they look at the Alice theme again as the town seems to be taking it forward at the moment(i mean CCBC) with Mr Mortlock now looking to reopen the museum somewhere in town.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »
I noted in the last lot of Town Council minutes (to be found in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard”*) that the Decorative Lighting Committee had agreed to bring the switch on date of the Christmas Lights forward in order that shops would benefit for a longer period and bring Llandudno into line with other towns in the area. However, when the decision came to be ratified by full Council, it was rejected and sent back to the committee for further discussion.

What can you say but...what a bunch of clowns! Not a single clue between them.

* - http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/THHGTTG/THHGTTGradio1.htm

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
 ;D Hitch-hiker's Guide, a work of genius, I have the box set of cds from the original Radio 4 show. Coming to venue Cymru soon, I must get the tickets (and remember my towel!  ;D )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2012, 10:52:31 am »
Happy Alice in Llandudno xmas,get the message Llandudno town council.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2012, 11:30:49 am »
What can you say but...what a bunch of clowns! Not a single clue between them.

And you thought I might like to join them!!!!!! :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #370 on: June 17, 2012, 07:24:20 am »
Dave can you send that link to the town council(Leicester Alice lights) just to let them know what can be done.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »
Is it just me or is the Christmas lights debate starting earlier every year?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #372 on: June 17, 2012, 06:36:05 pm »
Paddy,it takes 3 months just to get it on the agenda,then 3 months to make a decision,that takes us to December which of course is then too late to do anything ,so the answer is nooooooooooooo it never to early with this shower and of course getting them to think Llandudno deserves new lights is another matter all together,they run the Miss Alice comp what more do you expect,progress,come on. :rage:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
Once the flower buds have died and the grass has stopped growing i will be back on the New Alice in Wonderland xmas illuminations,ok it will be to late but hey the station has taken 12 years so no hurry.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:06 am »
Nearly into September now and i wonder if the town council have given any thought too the xmas lights,i had a thought,if we ask for a illuminated Naddolig Llawen would this interest the Plaid councillors,we know the Conservatives don;t give a monkies even with a hotelier as a councillor,sorry two,labour only care about the council estates and as for the independants god knows what they looking to achieve .Any idea;s on how we could make the councillors proud of the town they represent,want to improve it,we know they give up 2 hours a week to discuss these matters but its time they delivered .