Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 205163 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Christmas 2012
« Reply #345 on: December 23, 2011, 09:11:59 am »
Here is my last gripe on the subject and lets see who else has an opinion. As you all know i think the xmas illuminations are pathetic for a tourist and main shopping town ,the town council do not help bring any xmas spirit to the center besides a 2 hour entertainment show and parade on the first Saturday of December.This years xmas fair in Madoc st brought a lot more coaches in this year than i have ever seen , o well done to their pr person,yet did the TC put the xmas lights on,no.No brass bands have i seen,no carol singers have i seen and of course Parc Llandudno seem just as bad, so there you have it when it comes to helping the town center there seems to be no will,effort, so i propose the Decorative lighting committee resign and force some of the younger councillors to take over and show some commitment and respect to those companys that are in Mostyn st,as for Parc Llandudno im just amazed they do NOTHING at xmas around their parc. Please have an opinion whether you agree or not. >>>

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Christmas 2012
« Reply #346 on: December 23, 2011, 10:25:46 am »
It's difficult for me to have much of an opinion on this as I'm not a big fan of christmas, for what it's worth it must come down to money and budgets, what available money is there to fund Xmas lights?
The shops can't have much left over after rent, rates etc. I don't want to pay higher council tax to pay for it either I just put our own lights up
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

Re: Christmas 2012
« Reply #347 on: December 23, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »
I totally agree with Wrex, or mostly anyway.

The Town Council have a generous budget fo Decorative Lighting as I can testify as an ex-Town Councillor  as was demonstrated when the Alice themed lights were put up some years ago.   They disappeared almost as quickly for reasons that have not yet been made public, and probably never will be!   I had left the Council by then so am just as much in the dark as everyone else.  I don't suppose any Councillor reading this will be prepared to comment on the Forum so we shall be in the dark for a little longer.

The Decorative Lighting committee is Chaired by John Boyle (or was) and has been since Adam was a boy.   Wrex is right when he says the whole lot need changing.  The old brigade is certainly  past its sell by date with all those whose arses are almost moulded to their seats in the Chamber - such as Evans, Boyle, Bertola, Williams, Lyons, Websell, Pearce, Finch-Saunders, Ridler, Jones, Finch, Davies, and maybe a few others who have not been in residence for quite so long.

Nothing will be any different even if they are changed.   The Town Council is defunct, inessential and worthless and a total waste of taxpayers money.  The administrative cost alone swallows up most of the overall precept with Rent, Services and an expensive Town Clerk and her two sidekicks.

A few local enthusiasts could put on a better show of lights, parades, bloom and all the trivia with which the Council are involved.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #348 on: January 08, 2012, 07:17:11 pm »
I hope you all enjoyed last years xmas illuminations in Llandudno and they made you all proud to be part of the Llandudno christmas spectacular.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
What's with the past tense Wrex. I drove through town this evening and the Town Hall Christmas Tree and other parts of town are all ready for next year already. I was expecting them all to come down today rather than 12th night to ensure Sunday rates for the workers taking them down but here we are 8th of January and they are all sill there.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:17 pm »
No its not a late april fool,let us remember the Alice in Wonderland lights that the town council put up,nice idea but the things where too heavey,as things have become lighter im sure the town council could once again think about Alice lights ,especially now CCBC have decided to spend money on this trail and Mr Mortlock has bought the Alice collection,surely this has to be a god idea, a common sense idea and good for the town on all fronts,a Alice in Wonderland xmas,what do you think.I will get xmas lights oneway or another. _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2012, 07:17:59 pm »
It's a good idea. The present lights are very bland indeed, no imagination or creativity goes into them, just several boring strings of dim LED lights strung across Mostyn Street.

Here's an Alice Christmas display from Leicester:
http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/leicester/gallery,605016.html

Did you ever get that invitation to join the Christmas Lighting committee, Wrex?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »
Yes Dave but i think they just wanted to shut me up by having me there,i gave them all my ideas and they ignored them,most never even responded so thats what interest there is on the council,back to the Alice xmas theme its got to be a winner as CCBC are spending on the Alice idea why not the town council show willing.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2012, 08:00:25 am »
Well i can see you all have rushed to have your say,obviously this is not a subject anyone cares about and it really proves the town council right that Llandudno does not need to improve any lights or make the town become a place to visit at xmas to see their illuminations,i admit defeat.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:59 am »
You will never admit defeat, Wrex!  $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:44 am »
Well i can see you all have rushed to have your say,obviously this is not a subject anyone cares about and it really proves the town council right that Llandudno does not need to improve any lights or make the town become a place to visit at xmas to see their illuminations,i admit defeat.

I take it that you are putting yourself forward as a Candidate in the forthcoming Council Elections then? 

No?

I thought not!    L0L
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2012, 11:08:12 am »
Wrex already does far more for the town than a lot of people, in my opinion.  $good$ Someone putting themselves forward as a candidate has achieved...what? Time to boast is when a candidate has been elected and actually achieved something, surely.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »
Wrex already does far more for the town than a lot of people, in my opinion.  $good$ . . . . . . . Time to boast is when a candidate has been elected and actually achieved something, surely.

I am sure that Wrex will have taken my comment in the spirit in which it was made!   Both Wrex and I have served on the Council together, at the same time, at the same meetings, on the same side, and I think we both enjoyed each others company and each others attitude towards the Town, its people and its needs.  I have also used his professional services and recommend him to others.

Maybe you were not aware of this.

Just goes to show that comments written from one to another on a Forum can be misinterpreted by other readers.   Or am I the one who has misunderstood?

I wish he would stand again.   $walesflag$

Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »
Unfortunatley being on the town council is a waste of time,just take the tram shelter on the West Shore,how long has this little saga been going on and all the town council do is blame CCBC AND YES IT IS THEIR FAULT but the town council should have kicked up a fuss and supported Mr Gorka instead of sitting back and letting CCBC drag this out.My xmas lights,no interest in the council what so ever,most are there for political gain not LLandudno.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:56 am »
Unfortunatley being on the town council is a waste of time,just take the tram shelter on the West Shore,how long has this little saga been going on and all the town council do is blame CCBC AND YES IT IS THEIR FAULT but the town council should have kicked up a fuss and supported Mr Gorka instead of sitting back and letting CCBC drag this out.My xmas lights,no interest in the council what so ever,most are there for political gain not LLandudno.

All of which is a good enough reason to get elected and fight them on their own territory  ;)
Cicero