Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 640386 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #840 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »
The way things are going Mike the young ones of today will be asking what a pub is, they are closing down that quick

Offline BMD

« Reply #841 on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
The Prince Madoc (on Station Road) seems to do okay - or at least there's often loud, boisterous groups of people outside in the early hours of the morning, and nightclub levels of music booming out of it. (Feel sorry for the residents living in apartments nearby, though).

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #842 on: December 08, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
Cash and Carry opposite Bargain Booze sold subject to contract. Don't know more than that atm I'm afraid.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #843 on: December 08, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »
It was a shop in 1960s/70s called Dandos.........a childrens/toy shop.....never had those roller shutters as you could shelter in the entrance as it was a few paces to the front door off Conway Road.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #844 on: December 11, 2014, 06:36:48 pm »
The former Manshop on Station Road has been redecorated, has shiny new fixtures and fittings installed and some stock put out and waiting on said fixtures and fittings.  From what I could see through the window it would appear the new occupants will be retailing items of apparel aimed at the more mature gentleman.  Hopefully they remembered to apply for change of use planning permission.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #845 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:02 pm »
If it was previously a retail outlet, why would ' change of use ' be required or  am I missing something?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #846 on: December 12, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
If it was previously a retail outlet, why would ' change of use ' be required or  am I missing something?

Were they not previously also selling apparel for men?  Even us oldies?   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:07 am »
It was a shop in 1960s/70s called Dandos.........a childrens/toy shop.....never had those roller shutters as you could shelter in the entrance as it was a few paces to the front door off Conway Road.
Dandos was a great toy shop, and the building itself is a fantastic design. One of Colwyn Foulkes', I believe. Shame it has been allowed to deteriorate so much in recent years, those roller shutters look terrible.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #848 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:36 am »
The former Manshop on Station Road has been redecorated, has shiny new fixtures and fittings installed and some stock put out and waiting on said fixtures and fittings.  From what I could see through the window it would appear the new occupants will be retailing items of apparel aimed at the more mature gentleman.  Hopefully they remembered to apply for change of use planning permission.
Good news for the Bay, I thought we might have been seeing another empty shop there for a while.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #849 on: December 12, 2014, 08:51:50 am »

My thoughts too, surely a retail outlet is still a retail outlet?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #850 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:12 am »

My thoughts too, surely a retail outlet is still a retail outlet?
As far as I know, that's the case:

A1 Shops - Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices (but not sorting offices), pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.
A2 Financial and professional services - Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) including estate and employment agencies and betting offices.
A3 Restaurants and cafés - For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes.
A4 Drinking establishments - Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs).
A5 Hot food takeaways - For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #851 on: December 12, 2014, 09:18:33 am »

The comment was intended to be ironic.

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #852 on: December 12, 2014, 09:21:34 am »
Good news for the Bay, I thought we might have been seeing another empty shop there for a while.  $good$

The redecoration work began almost as soon as Manshop closed so the new tenants were clearly already lined up to move in.  It looks like they've effectively taken over Manshop as a going concern but taken the opportunity to revamp the business and drag it kicking and screaming into the 20th century.

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #853 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:52 am »
Going back to Dando's,s a true story.
  For some reason I do not know, my Mother used to order her mags from there rather than from the local newsagents in Rhos where we lived.
  So one day I was dispatched to fetch said mags from Dando's. I was around eleven years old and of a shy disposition, always nervous of adult strangers and very easily embarrassed.
  I take my courage in both hands and walk in up to the counter and in a nervous voice said "For Mrs. Owen of Rhos on Sea. Can I have The Gardener, The Lady, and The Scout"
  The women behind the counter fell about laughing. It was years and years before Lady Chaterleys Lover was published, but looking back on it I assume it was something on those lines that they were laughing about.
  Of course me, the embarrassed shy kid, thought for some reason they were laughing at me. I never went back in that shop again

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #854 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
I can finally put an end to all the endless speculation - the new shop in Station Road will be called "Gatsby Menswear".

Emo Philips