Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 644264 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #750 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Plans for Old Colwyn solar park set for approval by Conwy Council

PLANS to construct a solar park made up of more than 47,000 solar panels in a field in Old Colwyn are set to be approved by Conwy County Council.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/138953/plans-for-old-colwyn-solar-park-set-for-approval-by-conwy-council.aspx

Offline SteveH

« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:28 am »
Colwyn Bay is only town in Wales to make Great British High Street shortlist

The high street is seen as a model of regeneration. Footfall in the town has soared by 30% since 2012, with 52 new shops opening and 22 businesses have expanded or been refurbished.
Property consultant Richard Baddeley, a member of the local “town team”, praised the growth of independent stores in the high street.

Clwyd West Conservative MP David Jones said: “It’s a riot of colour. It’s very, very attractive.”
He applauded the efforts of the local authority and town council to revitalise the high street and insisted it was “on the up”.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-only-town-wales-7872428

Offline BMD

« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:59 am »
Good to hear, although it has a long way to go. To my mind, Penrhyn Road looks smarter than Station Road. It's a shame about those slightly pathetic trees they planted (on Station Road) - which haven't really flourished. When you look back at the Victorian scenes, you can see what a difference a few trees make. No doubt there are practical restrictions.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »
   I constantly moan about how slapdash the local papers have all become in recent times. Constant mistakes all over the place.
   However, unless I am dreaming, the largest ever is right across the front pale of one of our local papers.  Because its headlines scream out that the speed limit on the prom has been DOUBLED from 20 mph to 40 mph.    It was reduced to 20mph on a temporary basis whilst the road/prom works went on. But since when was the prom 40 mph?    News to me.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #754 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
   I constantly moan about how slapdash the local papers have all become in recent times. Constant mistakes all over the place.
   However, unless I am dreaming, the largest ever is right across the front pale of one of our local papers.  Because its headlines scream out that the speed limit on the prom has been DOUBLED from 20 mph to 40 mph.    It was reduced to 20mph on a temporary basis whilst the road/prom works went on. But since when was the prom 40 mph?    News to me.

Mike..Think it was a misprint they put it right later, I noticed the same thing. it is now 30mph.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #755 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:18 am »
Thank the Lord for that. It would be like a race track.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #756 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:22 am »
Good to hear, although it has a long way to go. To my mind, Penrhyn Road looks smarter than Station Road. It's a shame about those slightly pathetic trees they planted (on Station Road) - which haven't really flourished. When you look back at the Victorian scenes, you can see what a difference a few trees make. No doubt there are practical restrictions.
Hi BMD, found this, when looking at the weather reports!!....It is an interesting read, thought you would like it, more on the link.

"However, tree cover varies widely across Wales – from only 6% in Rhyl to 30% in Treharris.
The study also identified that in a quarter of towns in Wales the tree canopy cover declined between 2006 and 2009 – with more than 11,000 large trees lost altogether."
"The i-Tree Eco study found that in total, Wrexham’s trees save the local economy more than £1.2 million every year by:"

http://naturalresourceswales.gov.uk/about-us/media-and-news-centre/press-release/benefits-of-urban-trees/?lang=en

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #757 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:48 am »
Conwy Council have been removing mature trees from the side streets of Colwyn Bay and Llandudno for years, whilst not replanting any of them to my knowledge. Both towns used to have lovely tree lined streets back in the 1970s.

The trees in Penrhyn Road, Station Road and Sea View road are all dying because no-one has bothered to water them (they all have little underground reservoirs that are supposed to be topped up with water in dry weather).

Offline SteveH

« Reply #758 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:29 am »
According to the report, and from what I have heard in the past, we need more trees not less, I understand the urban problem of roots damaging roads and pavements etc. but there must be a suitable tree for this situation, also there are areas where more trees could be planted without causing problems.
Once again you are down to money verses the environment, and we know what usually wins. &shake&
Forestry commission...
The Forestry Commission have developed the Right tree for a changing climate database to aid in decision making of which species to locate in certain locations for trees to withstand the stresses of climate change.
Street trees
Trees in urban areas are known to provide a wide range of environmental, social and economic benefits. The tree canopy can:
Reduce the urban heat island effect by shading and evapotranspiration
Reduce pollution by intercepting particulates and absorbing greenhouse gases
Reduce flooding by intercepting rainfall.
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/URGC-7EKEC8

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #759 on: October 04, 2014, 12:07:09 pm »
VERRY interesting!    $thanx$  Never knew that!   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2014, 12:17:12 pm »
And it looks so great with trees. With the Victorian architecture, it rivals the Parisian boulevards. Several of the avenues of Colwyn Bay which have retained trees look magnificent. The shopping areas look a bit sterile without. I'm almost inclined to take a big watering can out to the water-deprived trees of Station Road, and to hold it up to the CCTV, as if to say: "this is what you should be doing". With undergound reservoirs for that purpose, you'd think they'd make the effort. (This seems to be a common theme - I recall the early deaths of the first trees they planted at Porth Eirias, etc).

Offline SteveH

« Reply #761 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:01 pm »
BMD, Your right, I think we forget, and take trees for granted, until they are no longer there, I like your
"With the Victorian architecture, it rivals the Parisian boulevards. Several of the avenues of Colwyn Bay which have retained trees look magnificent."
 and the CCTV comment _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #762 on: October 04, 2014, 01:06:58 pm »

"With the Victorian architecture, it rivals the Parisian boulevards. Several of the avenues of Colwyn Bay which have retained trees look magnificent."

I don't know where in Paris you have been, but any similarity between Colwyn Bay and Paris is purely accidental!    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #763 on: October 04, 2014, 01:17:13 pm »
Colwyn Bay does not have a huge pylon in the centre, Paris has one though! 😉

Just had to edit this as the iPad changed the word Colwyn to Clown! 😳
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #764 on: October 04, 2014, 01:29:10 pm »

I don't know where in Paris you have been, but any similarity between Colwyn Bay and Paris is purely accidental!    _
Extreme poetic licence Yorkie.... :)