Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 629308 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:48 pm »
Yorkie and fester playing scrabble

The games are taking a long time to complete as I have no 3G signal at home, and the weather has kept me holed up for most of the time.
However, tonight I went to a Darts match in the Junction, and I could not help making a couple of moves. During which time I noticed that SDQ absolutely CRUSHED me with a 130 point word.  :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:27 pm »
The KKK Asian Food Store has vanished from Abergele Road  :'(.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:06 pm »
Have the Klan been run out of town?  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #483 on: September 25, 2013, 12:23:33 am »
Have the Klan been run out of town?  :laugh:

That seems to be the kux of the matter.  :P
Fester...

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:51 pm »
It appears the shop vacated by KKK is going reopen as a "shabby chic" shop called Vintage Rose.  So if anyone needs some old tat then Colwyn Bay will be the place to go.

Emo Philips

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #485 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »
It appears the shop vacated by KKK is going reopen as a "shabby chic" shop called Vintage Rose.  So if anyone needs some old tat then Colwyn Bay will be the place to go.

I wonder if they'll sell spray gloss white paint  WWW
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #486 on: October 05, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »
It looked like Vintage Rose was set to open today.  I had a glance through the window this morning and looked like they had some interesting stuff in there, although it's not the sort thing I'd ever buy.  It appears someone has got their inspiration from watching Drew Pritchard on the tele.

Emo Philips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #487 on: October 05, 2013, 09:18:24 pm »

Wonder if they will sell white hoods and crosses ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #488 on: October 05, 2013, 09:26:38 pm »

Wonder if they will sell white hoods and crosses ???

Why BTR?  Are you looking for a cheaper supplier?  :laugh:
Fester...

Offline Minime

« Reply #489 on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »

Probably every female on the forum read shabby chic and vintage rose and thought oooh wheres that must go :)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #490 on: October 09, 2013, 06:12:35 pm »
   Walked past there midday today.  No customers inside at that time, if that means anything

Offline BMD

« Reply #491 on: October 11, 2013, 05:39:44 pm »
Work now seems almost completed on the impressive Victorian building on Station Road which previously housed the Judge & Jury pub (and historically the town's municipal HQ, I believe). The work has been going on for months & months - must have cost a fortune to renovate. It's good to see such a building restored, but its future use (charity-run bistro and "training" and "admin offices") just seems to highlight (to my mind at least) the sad fact that Arundales - a great, long-standing fruit & veg shop on the other side of the road - couldn't be kept open. (Two different things, I know, but...).

There was another large (4-story) Victorian building renovated into apartments recently - on Penrhyn Road, just down from the Chinese restaurant. Again, it took months & months and must have cost a fortune. I guess in both cases the funding was largely public money (ie Council grants for regenerating the town)?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #492 on: October 11, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »
Arundales are still in business, they've just closed the retail arm to concentrate on the wholesale side of their business.  David Hughes did exactly the same with M. Hughes & Son in Llandudno, he closed the shop in Madoc Street because the wholesale operation was generating the bulk of the profits.  It was inevitable Arundales would close their shop, the big surprise is that they kept it going for so long.

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #493 on: October 11, 2013, 08:38:56 pm »
   I went to school with John Arundale---dont ask me how many generations back he is.  You say the wonder is how they managed to survive for so long. I suppose after so many years, no one can grasp the nettle and admit defeat.
   I feel so sorry for the children/grandchildren see ing the end of a family business through no fault of theirs.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #494 on: October 13, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »
I wouldn't feel too sorry for the Arundale children and grandchildren, they haven't lost their business.  Arundales is still in business although these days they only do wholesale and home deliveries - http://www.arundales.com/.  If anything the children and grandchildren will be better off as they're likely to be inheriting a more viable business that's concentrating on it's strengths and divesting itself of it's weaknesses.  I couldn't see how they could keep the shop viable given the competition from Morrisons, Lidl and Aldi but given the number of hotels, restaurants, cafes, etc in the area then there's plenty of potential for their wholesale division.

Of course this all assumes the children and grandchildren want to take over.  I believe M. Hughes & Son is no longer owned by the Hughes family.  From what I remember David Hughes was the grandson of M. Hughes and I know he had at least three kids so it seems none of the fourth generation of Hughes' fancied the prospect of having to get up in the middle of night several times a week to travel over to the Liverpool fruit and veg market (and who can blame them  ;)).

Emo Philips