Author Topic: National Eisteddfod Llandudno 1963  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
National Eisteddfod Llandudno 1963
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
Does anyone have any photos or info about the Eisteddfod in Llandudno in 1963?
I was in one of the school choirs, I remember seeing myself on television,my 5 minutes of fame! I wondered if any of the photos or film from that time still exist
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Welshmunchkin

Re: National Eisteddfod Llandudno 1963
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:17:09 am »
Thanks for that, unfortunately no pics of me! oh well looks like my 5 mins of fame was consigned to the bin of history!I distinctly remember the Queen looking straight at me as I sung my heart out for my school in the Ysgol Maelgwyn school choir.I also remember a 3 second close up of me in the television coverage at the time looking suitably enthusiastic and patriotic, or could my mind be deceiving me? $walesflag$
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:07 am »
A lot of those are not the Llandudno event;  Dave can point you to the National archive photos, which should have a lot dedicated to Llandudno's hosting.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:35 am »
Indeed I can.  ;D

If you go to this site:
http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?&skin=full&lng=en

and type 'Eisteddfod 1963 Llandudno' in the 'Search For' box, then click on 'Search', you will get lots of photos of the ceremony up at Happy Valley, amongst other things.

Offline Welshmunchkin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »
Thanks Dave, a great selection of photos, but unfortunately none of me! I remember our music teacher at the time impressing on us what a great occasion this was, how honoured we were to sing for the Queen, and how we would be able to tell our children and grandchildren all about it. Well, in time I did tell my children, and I don't think they could have been less impressed! Think they'd have preferred me to have been in a famous rock band, now that would have been impressive!

Offline John Willie

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »
As a family, we visted the Eisteddfod in 1963 and my father made a tape recording of the children singing which I probably still have somewhere. It hasn't been listened to since the sixties but I remember there were sparrows in the tent and a lot of chirping could be heard over the singing!